The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was I the only one unaware of the fact that they are putting a 500 horse V8 in the Atom?:crazyeyes

Ariel Atom 500 V8

EDIT- I should have titled this thread "Caparo T1 Killer for less than Half!"

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Under 2 seconds? I would think that would be traction limited.

Fast in any case.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Porsche 917
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Porsche 917K in the distinctive Gulf Oil livery at the 2006 Goodwood Festival of Speed.The Porsche 917 is a racecar that gave Porsche its first overall wins at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1970 and 1971. Powered by the Type 912 flat-12 engine of 4.5, 4.9, or 5 litres, the long-tailed version was capable of a 0-62 mph (100 km/h) time of 2.5 seconds and a top speed of over 254 mph (407 km/h).

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Amazing... When Caterham released the R500 specs, I wished it had an engine like this instead of the FI engine it apparently has.

So what is "paddle shifted with manual override"?

:confused: R500 does not have a forced induction motor in it, it comes with a normally aspirated Duratec 2.3 with 263hp

If you are referring to the Caterham that has the V8 in it (It's called the "Levante" ) it is the same engine that is in this Atom and both are FI with a supercharger.

While these engines sound cool, that kind of horsepower is practically unusable in cars like this.
A friend of mine has a LS1 V8 with over 400hp in his Super 7 and while it is unbelievably fast from 80-140mph, he can't put the power down at lower speeds, even with the huge tires he had to put on it (which of course meant bigger wheels, bigger brakes, and more weight)

These cars are insanely fast with 300hp (heck, mine is crazy with 200hp)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Having 500 hp in my car would be fun. I doubt the bespoke V8 will be as reliable as my 300 hp Honda. I'm only an intercooler and a smaller pulley away from an easy 400 hp. However I'm already spinning the tires on my rims with 300.

Also I get 40 mpg when driving at 80 mph on the freeway.

The Atom 500 is going to cost $225 000.

Ariel is lying about the 500 kg weigh as well. They say mine is 490 kg. It is actually 589 kg. With all the extra crap they are putting on the 500, I bet it will be heavier.

One thing for sure is the 500's V8 will sound better then the Honda.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
A guy I used to work with built a Caterham -- originally with a Cosworth 2.0L @ 175 hp. He spent 14 years working on the car before he put it up on eBay (bids reached $62K but didn't meet his reserve... maybe he still has the car). He replaced the Cosworth with 6 cylinder (don't remember which one, but it was very expensive). I heard that it was over 375 hp on the dyno and the car weighed only 1200 lbs.

The odd part... he doesn't like to drive! The car has 0 miles. I see him from time to time riding his trike which has about 100,000 miles on it...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Ariel is lying about the 500 kg weigh as well. They say mine is 490 kg. It is actually 589 kg. With all the extra crap they are putting on the 500, I bet it will be heavier.
It seems that most every boutique car maker takes liberties with the actual weight :wave:

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
A guy I used to work with built a Caterham -- originally with a Cosworth 2.0L @ 175 hp. He spent 14 years working on the car before he put it up on eBay (bids reached $62K but didn't meet his reserve... maybe he still has the car). He replaced the Cosworth with 6 cylinder (don't remember which one, but it was very expensive). I heard that it was over 375 hp on the dyno and the car weighed only 1200 lbs.

The odd part... he doesn't like to drive! The car has 0 miles. I see him from time to time riding his trike which has about 100,000 miles on it...
Are you talking about Sugino's 7?

Car was sold to Auto Europe, still has a 4 cylinder cosworth in it (but was closer to 300hp). Seems it may have sold again.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Are you talking about Sugino's 7?

Yup! That's it.

We were both working at a Motorola off-site leased building when he ordered the motor... had it shipped to work so he could show it off. I never saw the finished car :(

He told me about the 6-cylinder motor about 7 years ago. He said he could probably sell that motor for $50K, so I guess he did and swapped the 4-cylinder back. He had Hoosiers on it when it was on eBay.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Porsche 917
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Porsche 917K in the distinctive Gulf Oil livery at the 2006 Goodwood Festival of Speed.The Porsche 917 is a racecar that gave Porsche its first overall wins at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1970 and 1971. Powered by the Type 912 flat-12 engine of 4.5, 4.9, or 5 litres, the long-tailed version was capable of a 0-62 mph (100 km/h) time of 2.5 seconds and a top speed of over 254 mph (407 km/h).
FWIW, I think that 0-60 time is due to tall gearing, which is obviously needed to reach 254 mph. Almost every review I've ever read of a full-out race car (I think the most recent one I read was on a NASCAR vehicle) has had a slow 0-60, but was much faster as speeds increased.

That said, I think that it would be difficult (not impossible) to get the power to the ground on the car in question, though.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Eventually they will just put a Saturn V F-1 engine on the back of the damned thing and get it over with.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So if the 500 horse is pointless and overkill with power never getting to the ground than how does a 600 hp formula 1 car work?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
If I remember correctly its like a 2.4 liter V8 5 valves per cylinder and revs to ~10k...

daddy likes

1 - 20 of 57 Posts