The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys,

I know that most of you will tell me that the lotus isn't about straight on acceleration--and I agree. But now that the engine is official (and the weight is not), I really hope that 0-60 time is at the slowest 4.9 seconds. It know it is not a big deal, but it sounds so much cooler than 5.0 seconds.

Craig

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Chances are the U.S. Elise will be in the low 5.0 second range like the current Euro model. High four seconds may be possible if you're willing to abuse the clutch.

I had hoped Lotus would up the ante and aim for the the Sport 190 acceleration levels. But I think it's unlikely if the U.S. Elise is at 190hp and between 1,700 to 1,800 pounds. I think the 190 Sport is 190hp and 1,500lbs (0 to 60 in 4.4 seconds).

Click on Sport 190:
http://www.s2elise.co.uk/home.htm

·
Registered
637 Posts
0-60 times are affected quite heavily by gearing. Ironically, on higher powered cars, the longer gears of the standard box may help (because they allow just over 60mph in second, versus just under on a close ratio box).

You're right in saying it's not that sort of car, but I'd be quite upset if I wasn't at least *competitive* in accelleration.

0-60 in under 6 is fine for me. The real deal though, is 50-80 (which I'm more likely to use).

Craigy

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Craigy said:
0-60 times are affected quite heavily by gearing. Ironically, on higher powered cars, the longer gears of the standard box may help (because they allow just over 60mph in second, versus just under on a close ratio box).

Craigy
Gearing may be a problem. My GT-S has a pretty slow 0-60 time (~7 s I think, although it weighs much more than the elise of course). The problem is...2nd gear is way too tall. When shifting from 1st to second, toyota designed 2nd so that you wouldnt have to shift to 3rd before 60mph. The problem is...when you shift from 1st to 2nd, even when I reach the limiter in 1st (set at 8400rpm), I am 1000rpms short of my cam range...that is I am not in my powerband and have a lugging problem for long enough that it is annoying and that I am slower. The higher gears do not have this problem, so at speeds from 70-110, my car is untouchable...even when racing cars with way more power, because I am in peak power range between 6 and 8400 rpm.

I am curious if Lotus will change the gearing of the toyota tranny for the elise. Especially if they will change 6-gear (an OD that prevents me from accelerating over 137mph in the celica...again too tall of a gear. The car is not limited otherwise).

Anyway, the moral of this detailed post is...I hate 2nd gear!!! If anybody is listening, please change 2nd gear, or change the way the engine is tweaked for a more even power band so that there is no delay of power when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Craigy said:

You're right in saying it's not that sort of car, but I'd be quite upset if I wasn't at least *competitive* in accelleration.

0-60 in under 6 is fine for me. The real deal though, is 50-80 (which I'm more likely to use).

Craigy
Somewhere on the Internet, I seem to remember a factoid about the final drive ratio being about 4.529 or thereabouts. Sorry, but I've lost the reference.

Given a close ratio gearing with 6 gears forward, a final drive ratio on that order is the classical way to improve acceleration! :)

-- Tom

·
Registered
637 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
Gearing may be a problem. My GT-S has a pretty slow 0-60 time (~7 s I think, although it weighs much more than the elise of course). The problem is...2nd gear is way too tall. When shifting from 1st to second, toyota designed 2nd so that you wouldnt have to shift to 3rd before 60mph. The problem is...when you shift from 1st to 2nd, even when I reach the limiter in 1st (set at 8400rpm), I am 1000rpms short of my cam range...that is I am not in my powerband and have a lugging problem for long enough that it is annoying and that I am slower. The higher gears do not have this problem, so at speeds from 70-110, my car is untouchable...even when racing cars with way more power, because I am in peak power range between 6 and 8400 rpm.

I am curious if Lotus will change the gearing of the toyota tranny for the elise. Especially if they will change 6-gear (an OD that prevents me from accelerating over 137mph in the celica...again too tall of a gear. The car is not limited otherwise).

Anyway, the moral of this detailed post is...I hate 2nd gear!!! If anybody is listening, please change 2nd gear, or change the way the engine is tweaked for a more even power band so that there is no delay of power when shifting from 1st to 2nd.
wrt 6th being only 137mph, lotus tend to develop the car for absolute vmax.

My S1 hits 125-odd at about 5600rpm (peak power on the basic engine).

I think you'll be allowed about 140ish.

Craigy

·
Registered
178 Posts
Remember the car has another 10hp on the gt-s. That 10 probably comes with the ability to rev just a bit higher, probably putting you right back in the powerband when shifting 1-2.

Having to lug on the 1-2 shift would seem fairly out of character for lotus.

Scot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts