The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this A.M. news paper they quoted times of 5.1 sec. Is the car getting slower? What is the actual mfr qouted 0-60 times and what is the real world times likely to be? does any know?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
This drivetrain has never been in this vehicle - so how would anyone know what the real times are?

As with the S2000 - the car isn't built for 0-60 times. Buy a Vette if you want to stoplight race.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,411 Posts
Ya know there are alot of really strange questions people have asked about the Elise on here. Asking for 0-60 for any sports/race car isn't one of them. He asked about the Elise not the Vette, get over it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks 1FASTMX5, I dont want a vette. I have an S2k. I was just hoping the Elise is faster 0-60 than what i already have. I have read times of 4.9, and was hoping it was a conservative # kind of like Porsche #s are usually slower than the actual car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
I've been going with 4.8 sec that was quoted in the Road & Track article. Minus .2 sec for the LSS and you have 0-60 in 4.6 sec:D

But here is the important question:

Do we gain any HP from switching to the sports exhaust?

We may yet have to revise this number downward:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
I guess you showed me with that post, didn't you???

How about if I take this approach -

0-60 times are completely dependent on the driver, road conditions, condition of the clutch and atmospheric conditions. If you don't know how to launch a car you can be "beat" 0-60 by a much slower vehicle.

So, if you want to magazine race, wait until a road test comes out and compare against all the cars you want.

FYI - I've never launched my Exige and I probably never will. Sure, it's fast, I know that. I guess I don't need to prove it to anyone.
 

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,083 Posts
Guys, please chill.

Most magazine 0-60 times end up being unofficial and quoted by those trying to make a point. Real 0-60 times are dependant on surface conditions in order to do a proper 7000rpm launch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,802 Posts
And are only meaningful for bragging rights.
Chris


Randy Chase said:
Guys, please chill.

Most magazine 0-60 times end up being unofficial and quoted by those trying to make a point. Real 0-60 times are dependant on surface conditions in order to do a proper 7000rpm launch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,411 Posts
We are chilled :D I just wanted to point out that, for some reason, asking about 0-60 times is often frowned upon here and Miata.net. This car has been dissected to ridiculous levels in so many different areas, so why is this any worse. We all know there are alot of variables to any racing times. Be it 0-60, particular tracks, road courses, etc. That really doesn't stop people from using them as some kinda base line for general performance. Even a hack driver like myself goes faster in my Turbo Miata then when it wasn't. It's not just for bragging rights, not any more then stating it's horse power ratings (isn't that subject too many variable conditions too). It's just a reference point to like any other. Yes driver skills are important but a faster car is still a faster car. Unless of course you want to race me in a Kia while I take a Modena.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
The driver is the most important "mod" for a car.

A faster car is not always the faster car - depends on the driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,411 Posts
Yes, Agreed "A faster car is not always the faster car - depends on the driver"

The question really was about the car not driver. I skilled driver will also go faster in a faster car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,301 Posts
How about those Knicks?:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
We are chilled :D I just wanted to point out that, for some reason, asking about 0-60 times is often frowned upon here and Miata.net. This car has been dissected to ridiculous levels in so many different areas, so why is this any worse. We all know there are alot of variables to any racing times. Be it 0-60, particular tracks, road courses, etc. That really doesn't stop people from using them as some kinda base line for general performance. Even a hack driver like myself goes faster in my Turbo Miata then when it wasn't. It's not just for bragging rights, not any more then stating it's horse power ratings (isn't that subject too many variable conditions too). It's just a reference point to like any other. Yes driver skills are important but a faster car is still a faster car. Unless of course you want to race me in a Kia while I take a Modena.
Completely agree!

Driver, weather conditions, altitude... whatever... we are talking about the car. Some of you are getting nit-picky.

Talking 0-60 is no different than talking any other mesure of performance.

F360, Porsche GT, Lambo none of these cars are about drag-racing either but we still use 0-60 and 1/4 mile time to gauge their performance.

If it's doesn't matter be honest with yourself and answer this question:

Would you still by the Elise if it only had 50 Bhp and did 0-60 in 15 sec?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,201 Posts
If you want to drag, try the BMW SMG on drag mode, it is probably one of the fastest if not the fastest shifter available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,193 Posts
meat said:
The driver is the most important "mod" for a car.

A faster car is not always the faster car - depends on the driver.
Your statements are illogical. A slow driver in a fast car is faster than he is in a slow car. A fast driver in a slow car is slower than he is in a fast car.

The bottom line is this:

If someone wants to know the 0-60 times of the Elise, he has every right to ask, and you have NO basis to bring driving skills into such a discussion. Performance CAPABILITY for a car is independent of driver skill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,201 Posts
If someone wants to know the 0-60 times of the Elise, he has every right to ask, and you have NO basis to bring driving skills into such a discussion. Performance CAPABILITY for a car is independent of driver skill.
I agreed. In fact, I argue that you need NO driver skill to drag, the only skill is to be able to press the gas paddle as hard as you can when the light turns green, and the SMG will do the rest.
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top