The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of people seem to think the Elise is not very quick and not capable of winning a drag race against most cars. I'm not sure where this comes from. IMO any car that can get to sixty in under 6 seconds is descent. The Liz can do it in as litttle as 4.7 seconds... Isn't this fast? Or are all the new Mustangs and Vettes running in the threes?

Granted the clutch won't like you if you abuse it, but there are already clutches made for the tranny that are designed for this abuse, so why this belief that the Liz won't be viable in a stop light race?

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Derek said:
I see a lot of people seem to think the Elise is not very quick and not capable of winning a drag race against most cars. I'm not sure where this comes from. IMO any car that can get to sixty in under 6 seconds is descent. The Liz can do it in as litttle as 4.7 seconds... Isn't this fast? Or are all the new Mustangs and Vettes running in the threes?

Granted the clutch won't like you if you abuse it, but there are already clutches made for the tranny that are designed for this abuse, so why this belief that the Liz won't be viable in a stop light race?
I don't believe that most feel it's not viable to drag race, but it's because many people on here detest the notion for using the car in such a way :rolleyes: ... The car is quick, it is as quick or quicker then most mustangs other then the new Cobra's. As for new vettes..C6, they are now in the 12's in the 1/4 mile. Older C5 is a very low 13. Forget the Zo6's, no chance at all with one of them. Just because you may lke the occasional drag race dosent mean you can't enjoy it's holy grail handling.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I think the Elise will be a fast car but not enough to go up against a new Corvette or a car that has a lot of displacement and torque. Unless, you're willing to do 7,000 rpm launches.

I'm thinking the Elise will probably have a low 5 second 0 to 60 w/o the abusive clutch starts, which would put it in a decent sport car range.

But still, a 225hp Elise would still be nice. :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Below is test data from a Seloc thread. It was in response to a Swiss Vauxhaul owner debating on whether to supercharge his VX220, buy a VX220T, or buy a 111R.

I'm guessing that real world tests are less than factory numbers. A Corvette or Mustang SVO is going to be easier to launch from a stop then an Elise which requires a high rpm launch and quick shifting. My point in the other thread wasn't that the Elise isn't quick so much as that its Forte is handling. Indeed I would guess that a Honda S2000 isn't going to be that far behind an Elise from a stop light or maybe not at all depending on the drivers.

Note: (100KM = 62mph, 5.8 secs for 111R)

"The "Automobile Revue" back-to-.back test of VXT vs. 111R vs. Supercharged 2.2 (a.k.a. VXS I suggest for our shorthand from now on) was published on Wednesday, 7th. April. N.B. The VXS is in Swiss emissions tune state at 200bhp. (More is easily possible )

I took it with me on a little spring break to do some serious decision-making.

I'll give you a few stats.:

0 – 40 km/h VXT 1.5 secs, 111R 1.5 secs, VXS 1.5 secs
0 – 60 km/h VXT 2.8 secs, 111R 2.7 secs, VXS 2.6 secs
0 – 80 km/h VXT 3.9 secs, 111R 4.3 secs, VXS 3.9 secs
0 – 100 km/h VXT 5.5 secs, 111R 5.8 secs, VXS 5.8 secs
0 – 120 km/h VXT 7.7secs, 111R 8.4 secs, VXS 7.8 secs
0 – 140 km/h VXT 10.0, 111R 10.9 secs, VXS 10.5 secs
0 – 160 km/h VXT 13.7 secs, 111R 14.5 secs, VXS 14.0 secs
0 – 180 km/h VXT 18.4 secs, 111R 19.2 secs, VXS 18.1 secs
0 – 200 km/h VXT 24.4 secs, 111R 28.3 secs, VXS 25.2 secs

Standing kilometer VXT 25.5 secs, 111R 26.2 secs, VXS 25.6 secs

Elasticity:
40 – 120 km/h in 3rd: VXT 8.2 secs, 111R 9.2 secs, VXS 8.1 secs
40 – 140 km/h in 3rd: VXT 10.4 secs, 111R 11.7 secs, VXS 10.3 secs
80 – 180 km/h in 5th: VXT 23.2 secs, 111R 27.4 secs, VXS 22.3 secs

Test consumption (total): VXT 9.6 L/100km, 111R 9.4 L/100km, VXS 9.2 L/100km

Noise in cockpit (with soft-top on): Is louder better or worse – depends on your point of view
Standing: VXT 55.5 dB(A), 111R 54.5 dB(A), VXS 56 dB(A)
50km/h in 3rd gear: VXT 68 dB(A), 111R 66 dB(A), VXS 71 dB(A)
80km/h in 5th gear: VXT 72.5 dB(A), 111R(in 6th) 70 dB(A), VXS 76 dB(A)
120km/h in 5rd gear: VXT 79 dB(A), 111R (in 6th) 76.5 dB(A), VXS 82 dB(A) "

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
A Mustang SVO is easy to launch? Or did you really mean to say SVT?

I can tell you that a Mustang SVO is in no way a drag car. It was designed by the people at Special Vehicle Operations to be a handling car. That's why they chose the turbocharged and intercooled 4-cylinder turbo. It helps keep weight down and balances out weight distribution a bit better (over the similar era Mustang GT.) The BMW 320i was the benchmark for handling back in 1982 (when the SVO was being designed.)

Launching the SVO requires deliberate clutch slipping and about 4000 RPM. (About 3,500 RPM in the 198.5 - 1986 cars due to the 3.73 ring and pinion change for those years vs. 3.45 for the 1984 cars.) Too much clutch release and the motor bogs and the turbo fails to spool-up.

The SVT Cobra, on the other hand, is much less tricky to launch. Just 3000 RPM and let the clutch out. Of course, the independent rear suspension means that there's a chance of axle-hop. (Axle hop is bad and can lead to snapped axles.)

I agree that the Elise's mission isn't for drag racing, but if you want to engage in the stoplight wars, I'd think the normally aspirated setup of the Elise would allow you to launch fairly easily. You don't make the big horsepower numbers until after 6,200 rpm anyway, so I'd think a 4000 rpm launch (slipping the clutch a little) is probably the fastest way to get the Elise off the line.

Bob

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Derek said:

I know what you mean. Coming from a slightly modded '99 Miata (0-60 around 7.5) I am very excited by the fact that my Elise will do it in the high 4s. I think it's awesome.

·
shay2nak
24,979 Posts
4.7s is cool, but I'd like the Elise to be faster to 100mph. I don't think 13s is it's fastest time to 100mph. Sports Car International tested a protoype at 12.6s without the AO48 tires. This brings us to another question, we know with sport pack the Elise to 60 mph is 4.7s. But what would the 0-100mph time be? If the tires knock off 0.2 sec to 60mph, how much time would it knock off @ 100mph?

I'd like to get my Elise to 60 in ~4.3s and to 100 in about ~10.5s.

Ara

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
huggy bear said:
I would just like my Elise ASAP! :D
AMEN to that!

It would have been nice if they had gotten it to us to enjoy Spring/Summer.

Right now quickeness to my garage is more on my mind

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:

It would have been nice if they had gotten it to us to enjoy Spring/Summer.

Of course you could move to CA where it is summer all year!

On second thought forget that - we've already got too many people here! ;)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
shay2nak said:
If the tires knock off 0.2 sec to 60mph, how much time would it knock off @ 100mph?
Probably not much more. I don't think it will have enough power to be traction limited at over 60mph... The lighter wheels might help a bit.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
0 - 60 is darn fast by most any standard, I for one don't need and can't use much more than that. My M5 has a 0 - 60 time close to this and it comes up very, very quickly!

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
shinoo said:
Of course you could move to CA where it is summer all year!

On second thought forget that - we've already got too many people here! ;)
And too much crime and droughts and floods and mudslides and inflation and gang crime and earthquakes and wild fires and traffic and illegal aliens and rice boys and...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
For that race I would need a Noble!
Noble GTO-3R is capable of going 0-60mph in 3.7 seconds, 0-100mph in 8.8 seconds, a quarter mile in 11.9 seconds, and has a lateral grip of 1.156g with street tires:eek:

PS: It accelerates as fast as an Enzo!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I dont expect the Elise to come close to my miatas 0-60 so Im not going to set myself up for disappointment. However the Elise 0-60 is more than respectable and as long as you choose your occasional stoplight wars wisely keep the respect of the rednecks at heart. :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Derek said:
For that race I would need a Noble!
Noble GTO-3R is capable of going 0-60mph in 3.7 seconds, 0-100mph in 8.8 seconds, a quarter mile in 11.9 seconds, and has a lateral grip of 1.156g with street tires:eek:

PS: It accelerates as fast as an Enzo!
Quick, but not quite Enzo numbers:
0-60: 3.3s
0-100: 6.6s
1/4 mile: [email protected]

src: C/D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts