The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Hoping someone can provide some suggestions.
I have a 2002 Esprit with AP Racing front and Brembo rear calipers. I serviced brakes this week. Replaced pads all around and had front rotors blanchard ground. Everything went according to plan until I inexplicably pushed the brake pedal before installing the front pads which then pushed one of 4 pistons on each side out, resulting in loss of fluid. :mad:
I managed to ease the pistons back in and all looked ok--finished the job.
This of course resulted in me requiring bleeding the brakes.
Not much info for the 02 on the subject that I could find so I bled in normal manner. 2 person,one pushing pedal, bled furthest from reservior first etc.
Problem is fluid runs clear now==no air bubbles but once I turn ignition on, pedel is extremely soft--to the point of going to floor. Reservior is topped up.
I understand ABS may be trapping air but would that be enough trapped air to lead me to having no brakes? I currently cant even drive anywhere to have ABS solenoids cycled to do a full bleed. Do I need to continue bleeding even though no apparent air? Stumped. Thank you

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yes, you need to continue bleeding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. So I'm correct n assuming even if ABS has trapped air, I should be able to at least get sufficient pedal to be able to drive it. And theres no unusual bleed process? I'm doing it with ignition off. Have bled them 4-6 times and no noticable improvment so was a bit concerned

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
You need to keep bleeding and flushing the fluid till you get a pedal. Because of the way each wheel is piped separately from the ABS there is no particular order to bleeding. Get a "One Man Bleeder" and a quart of brake fluid. Make sure you are not drawing air back in as you bleed and never let the reservoir on the master cylinder get low. Refill after doing each wheel. Concentrate on the 2 front wheels. Never reuse brake fluid. Try to use Castrol DOT 4. Don't let any drip on the paint!
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
455 Posts
Get yourself a power bleeder. Makes bleeding brakes an easy, one man job.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
The AP calipers should have 2 bleed nipples, one on each side of the caliper, are you bleeding both?

Try tapping the calipers to loosen any bubbles.

If you got air in the ABS system, you may need to have the ABS cycled to bleed it. That would take an OBDII scan tool that can do that. You'd probably need a Tech1 with the Lotus module to be able to cycle the ABS.

I don't think Peter's free software for the V8 will do it... ?
Free V8 OBDII Scan Tool - ECU/OBDII - The Lotus Forums

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Very much appreciated. Had my eye on the Motive Bleeder and may pick that up. Does anyone know which adapter I'd need for the reservior on the '02 off hand? I've also got an ELM 327 so will have a look at Peters software. I've been bleeding the fronts with wheels on. Can't say I noticed a second bleeder valve on the calipers when I was working on the brakes but will pull the wheel and have a look. If that's the case, it'll explain alot :)

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Very much appreciated. Had my eye on the Motive Bleeder and may pick that up. Does anyone know which adapter I'd need for the reservior on the '02 off hand? I've also got an ELM 327 so will have a look at Peters software. I've been bleeding the fronts with wheels on. Can't say I noticed a second bleeder valve on the calipers when I was working on the brakes but will pull the wheel and have a look. If that's the case, it'll explain alot :)
I don't like the pressure bleeders. They can be messy and hard to fill. The "One Man Bleeder" I am referring to is very simple and inexpensive. It is just a short piece of hose and a one-way check valve. You put it on the bleeder nipple and stick the other end into a cup.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
744 Posts
Your best chance is the power bleeder.
Trapped air is nasty to take out. Sometimes no amount of pumping the master & slave can do it. Sometimes you have to wait a days so the air shift to another area in order for you to move it out. Power bleeder will force this out.
That's why some will used bench bleeding.

.....good luck!

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,083 Posts
If air entered the lines at the wheels (calipers), shouldn't the ABS pump still be OK?

But if you cannot get total joy, if and when you get SOME pedal, the ABS pump can be cycled by invoking braking on two different surfaces EG, pavement and a gravel shoulder...or maybe a wet parking lot. I'd want you to be really careful doing this on an Esprit.

Gotta say, YMMV...I'm willing to bet the air is in the calipers. Perhaps taking them off the hub so they could be bled at different positions would help. That is what the Elise guys often do.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
ESTEVE,

That's the problem! If you are bleeding with the wheels on! And didn't see the 2nd bleed nipple, then you have air stuck on that side of the caliper.

Definitely take the wheels off, bleed both nipples on each caliper (front only) and then re-bleed the rear, just to be sure. Hit the calipers a bit to knock any bubbles free. Make sure the pistons are pushed in as far as possible to make it easier (you have new pads, so that should be fine).

Your ABS is probably fine. But if not after thorough bleeding, then you'll need to get the ABS cycled while bleeding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Issue resolved! Was the inner bleed screws on the AP's that I had overlooked. Great pedal. Thanks again everyone. Awesome input :clap:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts