The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still trying to figure out which year to buy....I'd like to install a turbo or supercharger once I get comfortable with the car..

What engine mods can't be done on an '06 that can be done on an '05?....or is that not something to be concerned with?

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay...maybe that was too broad of a question.

Are there any advantages of owning an '05 over an '06 if I intend to seriously mod the engine?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Shouldn't be any real issues between them, some prefer the feel of the manual throttle vs the DBW, i prefer the 06/07s because of the little improvements made.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No one weighed in on this.....but then the Master chimed in...thank you.....

I don't have the time to educate myself right now......I'm looking to buy one in the next few weeks and I don't want to find out down the road that I made the wrong decision

·
Registered
992 Posts
I don't have the time to educate myself right now......I'm looking to buy one in the next few weeks and I don't want to find out down the road that I made the wrong decision >>> I read this 3 x. You don't have the time to educate yourself but you're looking to buy in a few weeks.

When exactly are u going to educate yourself? -poke-

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking the Cliff notes on the model year.........I promise to over-educate myself before I do any mods.......which will be months away......trust me, you will be sick of my questions once I have one.

Sorry if I came across like an ass:D

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
If i recall, (3rd party) Superchargers weren't even available until 6 months ago for anything other than 05's (due to the DBW?). But guess that's something to be concerned about if you plan to do your own tweaking?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
the dbw is no problem for the katanas, i've been tuning the dbw since early to mid 06, makes no difference to the tunes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If i recall, (3rd party) Superchargers weren't even available until 6 months ago for anything other than 05's (due to the DBW?). But guess that's something to be concerned about if you plan to do your own tweaking?
Thats exactly what I'm concerned about.....but that appears to be changing slowly.

I tried to find out total sales for each year.....to determine if there is a market for after-market mods.....couldn't find any real numbers.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
The 06's have had supercharger options for well over a year, i'd have to double check but it might even be over two years now.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Tripoint, sector111 etc, all offer any S2 year and region, since they use my ecu stuff, komotec and bemani also offer similar setups, Bemani i know offers 05 B type on, and 06 and 07, komotec offers 04 A type onwards , again that i know of.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The 06's have had supercharger options for well over a year, i'd have to double check but it might even be over two years now.
maybe 9 months, but pretty sure no more than that.
at least with the Sector111 ones.
- as I recall getting my car exactly one year ago, and following the threads.

a little searching and I found that in August 2007,. they started "taking orders"
EliseInfo.com » Technical

not entirely sure why/how it took them a bit longer for '06's tho in the first place, or if that really would influence a purchasers decision.

I'd probably go for an 06 as well if I were looking to buy one tho, just for the subtle improvements.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts