The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dreaming of Lotus
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, had the cams inspected and have attached the results. Maybe it is useful to the community. Maybe it is not.

Lift bolts will be replaced, but wear doesn't seem that bad. I don't know how to examine the cams expertly, but they look average worn to me. Any advice is appreciated.

Here is a backup encase the attachments ever expire: Lotus Share - Google Drive

Thanks for your time. (Sorry I'm posting yet again...)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Is there a range of VINs that we know if wherein the lobes are prone to the premature wear issue or is totally random with some cars having it and some not? If there is a VIN range and anyone knows it, please share. Thanks!

·
Dreaming of Lotus
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This lobe concerns me a little. Going to ask them if they can "feel" this one.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Those look fine from pics. You really want a pic of the high lobe of the cam but edges are not indented. The small line in last pic is probably not much for concern. Remember it is only the intake high cam lobes that are of concern. You can put car in 6th gear and remove plugs then push forward little by little to rotate cam assembly. Lift bolts are new style and probably good but for the price replace while in there.

Tommy

·
Dreaming of Lotus
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those look fine from pics. You really want a pic of the high lobe of the cam but edges are not indented. The small line in last pic is probably not much for concern. Remember it is only the intake high cam lobes that are of concern. You can put car in 6th gear and remove plugs then push forward little by little to rotate cam assembly. Lift bolts are new style and probably good but for the price replace while in there.

Tommy
Thanks man. Appreciate the inspection.

·
Registered
30 Posts
DaaMan64 your cams look fine and Gator Tech Owen's was definitely on it's way out. I just checked mine on my new to me 06 with 47, 000 km (about 28 k miles) and they were fine (lucky me). It still has the twin oil coolers but not for long. Based on all the posts on oil temps, for sure there is an issue with cold oil. It appears cam wiping is random but nevertheless, a frequent problem.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
270 Posts
After chewing up a replacement Toyota stock cam in 7K miles, I put a temp and pressure sensor with gauge in early last year when installing MonkeyWrench stock grind hardened material. MWR Cam (1) - Toyota 2ZZ-GE - Stage 0 - INTAKE ONLY

Ran the car all summer, including 6 HPDE track days. Waiting until OIL temp (not water) is 180 degrees F seems to have resolved the issue. Pulled the cover yesterday and cams are smooth and flat. Some surface markings but can't feel them. See pics.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts