The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miles - 1,905

Synth Oil - Changed in 6/09 ( Need change )
Brake fluid purged-changed in 7/08 ( Need purge-change )
Factory Coolent - Filled 5/05 ( Need purge-change )

Anyone have a ball park idea on how much this may run me parts & labor at the dealer before having this done - Midwest Mi. area. Car sat 2 yrs in storage and I'm guessing the fluids have broken down from air, moisture, etc. and would be most cost effective to have done all at once.

No confirmation letter from Lotus as of yet about changing out the entire oil lines as part of a recall, this would cover some of it, although I'm not crazy about front clam removal to do the work.

Did not have the A/C recall for drilling a drip hole in the panel, I never use the A/C anyway ( Will I have to also change this coolent after 7 yrs to keep the A/C in good shape ? )

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
First, if you are replacing your coolant you should also replace the thermostat (which tends to fail with time) I just had most of this work done by a first-rate Lotus tech and here is what I was charged:

Coolant flush and thermostat replacement (labor): $600
Flush brake fluid (labor): $100
Replacement thermostat (Autosprint): $34.92
Thermostat O-ring (Autosprint): $9.38
Super Blue high temp brake fluid: $25.31
Toyota Red coolant: $38.65
General inspection (labor): $50

I see no reason to change your A/C coolant if it works properly.

I do my own oil changes (they're easy) and I change my own brake pads and rotors.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm sensing an electronic paper trail come time to sell......

But damn... go drive that thing!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, The car was stored for 2 years, 09-11, had about 200 miles on it in 09' But I want to aviod any corrosion issues in storage, this car still has ' that new car smell' of Lotus Fiberglass lol! Now it's a mental block going over 2K miles....kidding, but I'm guessing it may be one of the lowest milage 05' Elise around ?

I should'nt be reading those hot rod mags where someone found a 71' Hemi Cuda convertable in a garage with 2500 original miles some years ago, it was stored for many years. I'm not really trying to copy that sitiuation, not if I can.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a ton for the pricing GR82DRV, now I know what to expect, did'nt realize the coolant flush-change was so pricey, oh well, part of being a Lotus owner I guess.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
It would be considerably less without the thermostat change because it's a bugger to reach (labor time). However, chances are that you'll need a new one soon anyway, and then you'd have to do the whole coolant thing over again.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Bah, just do the work yourself, it isn't difficult, just time consuming.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Did not have the A/C recall for drilling a drip hole in the panel, I never use the A/C anyway
It's not the AC per se, it is the blower motor that is affected. Heater and defroster would be affected.

I think you need to do this. It's just four simple holes. Mine was done by dealer for the first owner. There is a TSB that shows you how to do it.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
^ +1 Just Do It.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts