The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looks like it's new clutch time :eek: and am looking at the ACT HD line.

GPI Performance Automotive Parts

I don't want to significantly change the pedal effort, I won't be tracking the car or changing HP or engine parts. Mostly around the city and a freeway romp back and forth to work. Extending the service life would be nice as I only got 10K out of the OEM.

My mechanic quoted $2,700 which seems a bit high. $2,100 for labor if I supply a $500 clutch? He wants 18 hours of labor time which also seems to be high.

I would appreciate advice on this clutch or any other recommendations.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Everythign about this job is overpiced, parts & labor. I did my clutch myslef in the garage with a jack & jackstands and also did the aluminum flywheel in about 10-12 hours. If I had a lift and engine hoist it shoudl be no more than 8-10 hours. Clutch itslef shoud be under $500, more in the $400 range. Search this forum for more details. If you were nearby I'd do your clutch for $2K and be happy as a clam to get the work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everythign about this job is overpiced, parts & labor. I did my clutch myslef in the garage with a jack & jackstands and also did the aluminum flywheel in about 10-12 hours. If I had a lift and engine hoist it shoudl be no more than 8-10 hours. Clutch itslef shoud be under $500, more in the $400 range. Search this forum for more details. If you were nearby I'd do your clutch for $2K and be happy as a clam to get the work.
Thanks for the advice. Want to fly to Miami? :p The mechanic is in Fort Lauderdale and was recommended by Lotus USA Club but I'm beginning to wonder.....:confused:

·
Vendor
3,335 Posts
I agree with Keith. I R&Red the trans in about 3 hours with a mechanic helping me. It will take you all day, but definitely doable and not rocket science. A competent Toyota mechanic should quote you about 6-8 hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with Keith. I R&Red the trans in about 3 hours with a mechanic helping me. It will take you all day, but definitely doable and not rocket science. A competent Toyota mechanic should quote you about 6-8 hours.
This isn't making any sense. The mechanic wants $2,700 and has included the slave cylinder as a replacement. The flywheel is shot, no resurfacing possible is his claim due to tolerances. He also claims that the local dealership in Fort Luaderdale wants 13 hours to do the repair.

He wants to use an AP instead of the ACT clutch kit but that means an OEM flywheel (he says)?

At 13 hours, he is getting $150 per hour as best I can figure. That's high unless you are a trial lawyer. :p

·
Registered
302 Posts
I recently replaced my clutch with an ACT HDSS. I have some common sense, but I am surely no mechanic and was able to do it basically on a weekend (taking time off for beer and other necessities). Follow the instructions on the downloaded service manual, and you can do it.
Holler at me if you have questions.
Rick

·
Registered
912 Posts
I was quoted $2100 at my dealership parts and labor. Parts included lotus sport clutch and pressure plate. 10hr job.

·
Registered
270 Posts

give me $1200 of that, and you can run get the beer for us while I do the job, and pocket the difference for pimping me out and I will be happy as a clam too!:D

Just in case you guys wanted to feel a little worse about paying that price to a dealer, the tech actually doing the work probably doesnt get paid anymore than 10% of it, and the last one I did under warranty was less than $150 gross on my paycheck.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'm about to install a ACT HDSS. From the research I've done the HDSS is the best for the application you described. It is on sale at monkeywrench for $367. Flywheels are on sale too. Matt at monkeywrench said that the HDSS is his favorite clutch hands down. Great grip and pedal feel.

ACT Clutch-Toyota 1ZZ 2ZZ Celica-MR2-S-Corolla-Matrix-Elise HDSS - ACT-TC2-HDSS van ACT -

The install time is ~8hours.

Here is what I'm getting installed:
Quaife LSD
Fidanza flywheel
ACT HDSS

A shop in Atlanta quoted me $1,000 for the install.

If you ask me, you get getting SERIOUSLY ripped off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts