The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Elise was running great, just had the clutch changed. Jumped in it today, after it sat for a week. Car started then stopped dead after one second.

Now, nothing. With the key on and imobilizer off, I hear no fuel pump running, all the lights go out except the fuel light, and the fuel gauge shows no bars at all (yes it has gas). Start button does nothing, not even the clicking of a low battery.

Did some reading on the list here.
All the engine fuses are good
Battery is topped off.

Is this the symptoms of the Multi Function Relay Unit gone suddenly bad?
Help,
BrianM

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,504 Posts
Fuel, spark or air. Gotta be one of the 3. :)

Since the battery is good and the fuses are good, I would maybe thing the fuel pump could have gone bad?

Did you check the connections to the starter motor, not sure if they would have messed with those while changing the clutch but worth checking out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Fuel, spark or air. Gotta be one of the 3. :)

Since the battery is good and the fuses are good, I would maybe thing the fuel pump could have gone bad?

Did you check the connections to the starter motor, not sure if they would have messed with those while changing the clutch but worth checking out.
Agreed on the basic "Fuel, Air, Spark" troubleshooting technique, except in this case it doesn't appear to get that far. No fuel or spark because there seems to be no ignition signal being sent. No reaction from the starter button sounds like electrical, and since the fuses are operable, I would start with immobilizer.

/Just a nerd that doesn't even own a Lotus

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Start with basics first.

Are the battery terminals clean and solidly connected?

As above, check grounds.

"Battery topped off" means what???

Filled with acid? Charged?

How old is battery?

Put digital multimeter across battery terminals and tell us reading.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Start with basics first.

Are the battery terminals clean and solidly connected?
As above, check grounds.

"Battery topped off" means what???

Filled with acid? Charged?

How old is battery?

Put digital multimeter across battery terminals and tell us reading.
Yes, terminals are clean and well connected.
grounds are where? don't know how they could suddenly go bad.
Battery is all charged-up, sealed Optima Yellow. Tried it with a booster hooked up as well.
Meter reads 12.06V Key on reads 11.78V. That does seem low.

BrianM

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not the Battery, swapped out for a known good battery, same fail no lights, except fuel light. Gas gauge still reads no bars.

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Grounds corrode, loosen.
Someone with wiring diagram can point you to them.

Can't remember: Do we have an intermediate + battery cable connection not far from the terminal clamp?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I thought having the schematic might allow you to test your own relay before replacing it.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I will test first. Going to bypass the immobilizer as well.
OK It's not the relay module. Still no pump running and the gas light is on and the fuel gauge shows no bars. Start button does nothing.

I have bi-passed the immobilizer.

I'm left with the sad realization it's got to be the ECU.

Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Car is at shop, swapped out ECU, same fail. no gas bars, fuel light, no fuel pump, start button does nothing and no OBDII reading.

Any ideas?

BrianM

·
Registered
1966 Lotus Elan type36 1967 Lotus 7 1974 Lotus Europa BDA 2006 Lotus Exige
24 Posts
I had the same symptoms with my car fuel gauge gone no fuel pump no click when pushing the start.
I found that the 3 amp fuse in slot 13 was bad.It looked good but metered as bad. It supplies power to the ECU , the immobiliser and the ABS switch. I had a over load with the ABS switch power line which had another piece of equipment tied to it
I relocated that tap replaced the fuse and it works now.

John Callahan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts