The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Son had his front clamshell removed a few years ago to repair some collison damage. Shortly after it was reinstalled the key fob auto lock and interior fan stopped working. Fob will still set the alarm. Initially the a/c tried to work, but shut down to no fan. Now nothing. A/c is probably low freon. Fuses in cockpit and under clam shell are good. Relays are good. I downloaded a maintenance manual, It said it applied, but all the fuses/relays were in different locations and I haven't found a common link between the two problems. This is one of the early 05 Elises. Any ideas about the fan and fob. Hope to pull the clamshell next week. Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I can’t say for certain but I my suspicion is you may have some corroded connectors.

Shortly taking off my clam the last time I ended up with a dead blower fan, it ended up being the big 4-pin connector that runs to the resistor pack/fan. The resistor pack itself was still fine, the car had the retrofit already installed. I suspect the connector was in bad shape already and I must have bumped it while I was working in there and made it worse. Fan ran intermittently for a few days then failed.

The alarm not working is more mysterious, maybe it’s the connectors for the winglets? But I think those would stop it from locking altogether.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I had both those problems and neither turned out to be connectors, though I would certainly check for that. My heat/ac issue turned out to be in the control module that sits behind the speedo. This is the “switch pack” that also controls several headlight functions. The relays in this unit are famous for going bad over time. And the lock issue was related to the alarm module, which by the way, is incredibly tedious and annoying to reprogram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update.
Pulled the clam shell. The 4 pin connector was fine. Power through the switch to all pins was good. Continuity through the fan, but 2.8 meg ohms of resistance. Think it is shot. Did not have the facilities, parts or time to pull the radiator and associated parts to access the fan. Car has A/C which further complicates things.

Separate question. The fuse for the locks was blown. Replaced it. locked ok, blew again when tried to unlock. should I be looking at the Central lock module or something else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts