The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, wanted to just gauge from those who also have an elise if this is common. I've had my 05 elise for ~3 years now and can't recall ever hearing this so vividly. Anytime at low speeds, pulling into a driveway, parking, getting in and out of the vehicle, the frame of the car makes some pretty loud creaking noises. It still handles incredibly well at good speeds and I haven't noticed and performance issues, but just wanted to gut-check if this is somewhat normal on this vehicle that's essentially a street legal go-kart.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Could it be the sway bar bushings? Those commonly creak

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
That happens to me only if I have the hardtop installed. It doesn't happen when I have no top or when I have the softtop installed.

·
Administrator
4,989 Posts
Your frame won't creak it's bonded and if it is you have problems. You will need to narrow down where it's coming from front back left or right. Audio recording can help a lot. Jacking up and checking for loose and worn components might help. Above all search thru the numerous posts on here and go down the list of items to check but narrow down the area it's coming from then pinpoint the cause.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
IF your frame is creaking that frame is NO GOOD. If it is the case you should not be driving the car anymore.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,493 Posts
Check all the suspension parts as mentioned above and try to narrow down where the sound is coming from, guessing it is time for new bushings somewhere. Getting in and out makes this noise???

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
641 Posts
IF your frame is creaking that frame is NO GOOD. If it is the case you should not be driving the car anymore.
There is no frame!! It’s an aluminum tub.
There is a subframe held on with 4 12mm bolts.
There is a roll bar support in the engine bay with 4bolts
After checking these look for a noisy shock.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
ok so if your ALUMINUM TUB is somehow creaking it is NO GOOD.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,091 Posts
The A pillar is not structural so when the car is moving along it will rub on the A pillar seals and plastics.
I have creaks from this especially in colder months.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
641 Posts
There is another possibility.There is a stress panel under the gas tank.It can be seen once the belly pan is removed. It has about 12 bolts.Although it’s is very thin aluminum it’s quite important. It is used as a structural member in tension.Make sure it’s still there and the bolts are tight. Although it would be extremely rare for a part of your chassis to become unbonded a simple visual inspection would reveal it.

Reactions: goelise
1 - 10 of 10 Posts