The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Elise is going on 4 years old next month, the car has never been really pushed to hard or tracked-raced, miles just turned 1,700. No real problems, Garage winter stored, never seen rain.

Note: No racing-track running

The oil was changed in 07' at 1000 mi. service.
Do I really need to change with less than 1K on the oil ?

The engine has 05' factory coolant, level is good, Temp good.
Do I really need to change the coolant ?

I did change-bleed the Brake fluid in 08'
( Water moisture-air bubbles can develop over 3yrs + )

I removed the 'leaking' stock acid battery for Braill light.

Anything else a 'must do' for service at the 4 year mark since the car is now out of warrenty ? I only plan on driving the car no more than 450 miles in 09' and I am on a fixed budget and need to keep my service costs down when possible at the dealer.

Thanks in advance ! :bow:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'd say that it just needs to be driven more. Poor baby is all cooped up.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Only driving 450 miles in 09!? Sell it.

It's harder on the car to sit that much than it is to use it a little.

//just turned 46K miles.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Drive mine every day, 54,000++ miles so far, life is grand. Change the oil, take care of it like any other car abd drive the piss ot of it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Seventeen hundred miles...... in 4 years?? :thwack:

Hethel called, they want their car back. -poke-

Seriously, there is a saying, The best maintenance program is regular use. Go drive that thing!

Noble

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
err wow....brings new meaning to low mileage car...

so, you only enjoyed 2nd cam 700miles....:eek:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
Troy: If you want help changing oil, let me know... I AM only 5 min away !! ( yes folks, I've seen his car once.....it's still brand new )

·
Registered
417 Posts
The Elise is going on 4 years old next month, the car has never been really pushed to hard or tracked-raced, miles just turned 1,700. No real problems, Garage winter stored, never seen rain.

:thwack: It's people like you that give us Lotus owners a bad name! :thwack:

SHAME on you. Let the thing run free.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am going to drive my car that much next weekend when I bring it down to Tail of the Dragon and surrounding areas.:shift:

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
you really should be changing the oil one year max, even if you only put a hundred miles on it, the oil will pick up the containiments (chemical and particulate) and will begin to deteriorate immediatly, regardarless of milage. if the oil is that old - change it!!

cars don't like to sit... everything begins to "stick"... drive it :)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
From everything I've read, coolant change should be based on a time interval, not mileage, as the anti-corrosion additives get depleted. The coolant change interval is four years, so go get it done! I let that one slip last year and my car is coming up on five years (from the build date), so I plan to change it in the next month. I bought the tools for it, doesn't look like too hard of a DIY job but it IS a critical maintenance item so don't let that slip.

Also remember, Lotus recommends brake fluid be changed every year. Other manufacturers recommend every two years, but either way, two years MAX for that.

One other maintenance item I do to my car is to run the A/C every week if possible (though when the car's in winter storage, that obviously doesn't happen). I read somewhere that this helps keep things lubricated and prevent seal deterioration, not certain how true that is but it does make sense. I believe it can help prevent expensive repairs later on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
drive it!!
my 05 has had no issues(knock on wood) since i got that four or fifth ECU........:)
no really I've got almost 50k on it, i have a miata for daily use that has seen only 2000 miles since i got the elise....... some daily driver? lotus should have made the elise a bore to drive then i might think about only driving 450 miles in a year.....
im gonna have almost 57k on it when James and i return from LOG
drive it!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts