1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Are you just talking about the removal and installation time? or do you also need the time its going to take to paint? match the crappy paint job that is on these cars to start with? time to body work the new clam that is going to need it badly? or getting it aligned correctly up to the rest of the car??

Just to remove it and reinstall is only a few hours at most. Its all the in between work thats going to add up...

Example: it took 7-8 spray outs for the body shop my match my color, the "code" from lotus was way off, plus they worked on 30-40 Elise/Exige before mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
R&I time and time for prep if it really needs it would be great I can supplement but want a starting point.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Some info

R&I time and time for prep if it really needs it would be great I can supplement but want a starting point.
Cory and I did a complete removal and installation of my clam recently, so my numbers will be based on that experience.

The removal, with 2 of us, took no more than 2-3 hours. Knowing where all the bolts, nuts, screws, etc. are to be removed really helps. Some are tucked away and not obvious.

If you are putting on a new replacement clam, I'll assume that it is only gel-coated and needs to painted. Mine was like that. Prep and paint on mine (done by a local body shop) was 8 hours. I believe this included the baking time as well.

Re-install of the clam was much faster, probably no more than 2 hours. This includes putting back the cockpit trim, seats, wheel liners, undertray, etc.

You will also have to put new Starshield on the rear quarter-panels (behind the rear wheels) which took my installer 2 hours to do.

Hope this info helps.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 4 of 4 Posts