The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my elise a few months ago with a mere 1000 miles... it was never taken into the deal for any recall work. I took it in for the 1k service and they did two recalls, one about drilling holes in the floor and another on the door lock switch.

I was with some other lotus owners and they pointed out that my car didn't have the rings around the headlights. They said they were installed as a recall due to melting plastic inside the headlight fixtures. I mentioned it to the dealer and they said they haven't installed them in over a year, the parts are on order.

I found this about a recall on the shift linkage: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/elise-shifter-recall-18660/

I noticed my shifter had some play, I have been searching the site to see if there is a way to tighten the shift linkage. I did not contact the dealer about this recall, but he ensured me that my car was up to date, I guess it's not if there was a recall on the shifter???

Are there any other recalls on the 05 I should know about?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I found this about a recall on the shift linkage: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/elise-shifter-recall-18660/

I noticed my shifter had some play, I have been searching the site to see if there is a way to tighten the shift linkage. I did not contact the dealer about this recall, but he ensured me that my car was up to date, I guess it's not if there was a recall on the shifter???
The shifter recall only applies to early '05s (build dates through somewhere around March '05?). Feel through the shift lever boot. If the shaft is hexagonal, you need to have it replaced. If it is round, it is OK.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The shifter recall has already been explained, but to add to that - early cars had the hex shifter shaft that could break. Later '05 cars had the upgraded shifter shaft (round). The recall was to retro-fit the round shaft to the early hex shaft cars.

The headlight rings were not a "recall". They were a fix that could be installed at the customers request. Not all cars had the "burning" problem that the rings fixed. It's a simple, cheap part that is simply inserted into the headlight opening from the rear and glued in place.

There were several other small Service Bulletins. One to reposition the AC sensor to keep it from icing up - again this affected early '05s and was corrected in later cars. There was also the need to install some "duct tape" on one of the sharp edges under the dash to help prevent legs from getting scratched/cut. There was also an ECU re-flash, that again affected early cars but was made a running change to later cars.

The simplest Service Bulletin was to add a sticker to the owner's manual explaining the the air bag system doesn't necessarily function at some ridiculously low temperature.

The only updates that are really important are the shifter (early cars - change the hex shifter lever to the round one), and the holes drilled in the bottom of the chassis to act as drain holes for the water (water would tend to pool up in a recess in the chassis where the resistor pack for the fans is located - water would cause the resistor pack to corroded and fail).

As already suggested, contact a dealer and have them check the VIN of your car to determine what Service Bulletins have peen performed.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Hi, does anyone know the name or part number of the ring that fixes the headlight/sun burning issue for an 05 Elise? Thanks.
Headlamp embellisher ring.

Lotus has a black plastic ring.

uglyduck here on the forum had some polished aluminum rings that he made. May want to PM him and see if he still has any left if you want those instead.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Headlamp embellisher ring.

Lotus has a black plastic ring.

uglyduck here on the forum had some polished aluminum rings that he made. May want to PM him and see if he still has any left if you want those instead.
Yeah, those were pretty sweet. Mine were redone factory-style.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts