The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a Elise on ebay by a dealer for $13,900 that needs front & rear clamshells, windshield,driver mirror, frame fiberglass extension,(no frame damage by dealer) driver post and door need repair cosmetically. Anybody have an idea what it would cost to get this car back on the road again? Thanks Bobbyjudge:shrug:

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
As cheap or cheaper to buy a used 05 that is already roadworthy.

Odds are good more is needed than what dealer indicated. Even if you could get it back on the road for a few sheckles less than a roadworthy 05, you'd have a car with salvage title with a dramatically diminished resale value.

Also, if you plan on financing, generally lenders will not finance a salvage title car.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Just took a look, you need a headlight, about $600 used, twice that new. Side marker lights, rear tail light. Rear wheel replaced or fixed (couple hundred bucks to fix/paint probably). Rear wheelwell liner. The 'figerglass extention' is the crash structure, a paint to take out and reinstall (it's bonded) and an expensive piece. Diffuser is bent.

Both clams, paintwork, above parts and cross your fingers no frame damage.

Yeah, cheaper to buy a nice, used 05 roadworthy car. You'd easily have $10K to $15K in getting that car right unless you can do most of the work yourself.

·
Registered
196 Posts
A friend of mine that has body shop connections was looking at that car. After doing the research he decided that it was no where near what they were asking for it (to repair and get back on the road)

·
give me my second cam!
438 Posts
I am currently looking for a british racing green car ( THE OLD SCHOOL BRG) and I might be putting my car on the market. It does have high miles 93k and counting but its a clean title car no accident history and I purchased from the original owner. The car runs like a top and needs nothing to enjoy the next 20k or so miles. I saw a brg 05 Elise for the first time and it was stunning! I want one and that would be the only reason for me to sell the current car I have now. My car is saffron yellow and its very nice but not perfect. Point is I would put my car on the market for around 22-21k and by the time you fix the car in the e-bay ad you are going to be into it for close to 30k and thats if you do ALL the work yourself! If you dont you can add labor to that bill..say about 5k or so?:shrug:And your still going to have a salvage title car thats worth thousands less than any clean titled car no matter what the condition of the clean titled car is. Sorry for the thread hijack and good luck with whatever path you choose.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU ON THE COMEBACKS,IT IS MUCH APPRECIATED AND NO I WILL NOT BE BUYING THAT CAR,THANKS AGAIN,BOBBYTHEJUDGE

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts
NO PROBLEM !

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
huh? No post that says "everybody else is crazy. With $500, a blowtorch, some gorilla glue, two aluminum cans and a stick of gum, I could turn this into a great track car in 3 days."

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Naw, I ran the numbers too, figured about 15k'ish in parts alone, plus paint. You can buy one already assembled for less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts