The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See title. The steering wheel appears to not return to to center. Has anyone encountered this? have any suggestions on where to start? There's plenty of good suggests on google, but nothing Lotus specific. Likely just going to take it to the dealer to investigate but man they are expensive.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
466 Posts
How does it not return to center? As in if you were turning and let go of the wheel it wouldnt self center? Or it drives straight but the steering wheels not centered?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Can you elaborate a bit... Your question can be interpreted in two ways.
A) Is the steering wheel off center when when traveling a straight line? or
B) Exiting a turn the steering wheel does not self center?

If A, it's alignment.

If B, are you comparing your Elise to a vehicle with power steering? These cars have unassisted steering. One of the ways to manage steering effort with a un-boosted steering is to lessen the caster angle of the front kingpin. More caster = higher steering effort. One of the side effects of lower caster angles is that it lessens the car's ability to return the front wheels to center. So, you need to "steer" back to center.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

In the above it is: B) Exiting a turn the steering wheel does not self center

I am not comparing an Elise to a power steering vehicle. In fact, this problem doesn't even really bother me. The Lotus dealer in my area just reported it after an inspection, so I thought I would also look into it. I'd like to keep the care in good working order, so I became concerned.

When I get the car back tomorrow, I will take a video of the situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts