The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually 9 years, 3 months when it came off the assembly line 05-01-05.

1,870 Original miles. Might be the lowest mileage 05' Elise in the U.S. ?

Stills has that new fiberglass smell inside !

I think I should take it out for a spin so I can reach the 2K mileage mark, but I read that after 8 years the OEM tires (A048) are not warrantied any longer and need to be changed as the rubber breaks down with age - Not ready for a new set of tires right now so the Elise will have to sit a little longer..... besides having to change-purge ALL the cars fluids and add new insurance & tags - adds up to $$$ to get it back on the road. :(

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,820 Posts
Yeah - give that car some love and take her out for a spin.

Is your garage heated? If not, the A048s are toast anyways. They're not supposed to be exposed to freezing temps. The rubber is so soft that it breaks down. If they weren't bad before, they're really dead after last year's polar vortex.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't understand why people are not driving their car ? It is cheaper to just take a picture and hang it on the wall and said I have it. It is like buying a dining room set for display and maybe once for Christmas.
The whole reason you love and bought the car is to enjoy it. Don't do any good sitting around. Enjoy it. Life is too short. Just my 2Cents.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't understand why people are not driving their car ? It is cheaper to just take a picture and hang it on the wall and said I have it. It is like buying a dining room set for display and maybe once for Christmas.
The whole reason you love and bought the car is to enjoy it. Don't do any good sitting around. Enjoy it. Life is too short. Just my 2Cents.
+1, it truly is a tragedy not to drive these cars, daily drive mine from April to December, the snow and roads here in Michigan are brutal in the winner I just don't have the heart to drive the car during the winter months.

But I don't fault someone if they prefer to keep their car in the garage and put little miles on it- to each their own,

·
Wow Such Admin
6,988 Posts
Agreed. Drive that thing!

And, no, yours would not be the lowest mile 2005. I have seen one with less than 1000. If I remember correctly it was about 600 miles.

My car is 10 years old this month as well. Crazy, it still breaks necks like crazy and probably will for quite a while to come. I can't believe it's so old!

·
give me my second cam!
484 Posts
Mine is a May 05 car as well but I have 97k miles on mine. Mine is also saffron yellow...but I could be mistaken if yours is actually chrome orange.Hard to sometimes tell from certain photos.

·
Registered
588 Posts
...that's like 26 miles per post...over the past 9 years...

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,690 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL!

Troy: if I still lived in MI I'd make you take it out !!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

How are you doing, still Corp. flying ? Eric at A.E. has been trying to get me to sell-trade for an Evora ( sitting-slow sales) for some time. He leased out his B'ham showroom to Ducati and is opening a new showroom-storage in the Pontiac area. Eric's brother Tom is still running the service on Eaton st. I'm getting a new 2015 GTI for my everyday driver next month ( Toureg now ). Just been so busy the past few years to take it out, but at least I'm the first owner and keeping it a decade +, many bought them at the dealer for the 'looks' and dumped them a few years later which built that used market up. I really liked that new Elan shown at the UK auto show last year, it was a semi-concept and doubt I will ever see it here soon. :drool:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
600 !

Agreed. Drive that thing!

And, no, yours would not be the lowest mile 2005. I have seen one with less than 1000. If I remember correctly it was about 600 miles.

My car is 10 years old this month as well. Crazy, it still breaks necks like crazy and probably will for quite a while to come. I can't believe it's so old!
At least I'm not at the bottom of the mileage heap - lol ! 600 is basically garaged and never driven after a decade, The engine isn't even fully broken in. I'm concerned about seals, gears, cables etc. not moving and deteriorating ( like the tires) so this will force me to take is out to keep the mechanics in good working order ( if there not in trouble already ) I never even used the wiper fluid spray once, in fact the wiper blade swiped only once across the windshield to see if it worked. Yes, I know it's a bad for the car sitting and it should be moved and driven, hopefully I can get it out before Winter to put some miles on it. It's my Bad, I saw a show about finding a 64' Jag XKE roadster with 1500 miles in the farmers barn some years ago (Not that staged show American Pickers ) and it stuck in my mind unfortunately. What they don't tell you is all the work needed to fix the 64' Jag to get it back in working order sitting for almost a half century ! :facepalm

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum as well. Late 04 build date and just crossed the 90k mark this weekend. In the OP's defense, I'm slightly jealous that I'm sure his clams, wheels, etc. are in impeccable condition!

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Lack of driven miles aside, 10 years is a milestone and I am really glad to see how well this design stands the test of time - both functionally and aesthetically. If it maintains that trajectory the Elise/Exige shall be true classics.

Still love mine!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Some people only have to look at a car they own to appreciate it. I can respect that. You also should.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts