The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for an 05 engine wire harness that is unmolested. I think my codes are wire related but cannot confirm until I install one that has not been touched to confirm.....

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I suppose you know this already but 05 harnesses cost a fortune :( MWR has a used one for $1k

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the engine harness runs from the ecu to the engine, as long as you have the 2zz they are the same

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes mine is cable

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
05 ECU cable

:laugh2:

I believe that I still have engine to ECU cable on a engine that I removed when I replaced the engine in my 05 Elise. I’d have to check in my garage storage to verify. I also believe I also have the ECU that came with that engine. That being said, I am not interested in selling either but would feel fine loaning then out to help in your trouble shooting. I would expect them to be returned in the same shape that they are in now.

Some background: Quite a few years ago I was able to acquire a supercharged engine, trans, cables and stand alone ECU (X2) that I switched out in my NA Elise.

PM me if I can help out.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
the engine harness runs from the ecu to the engine, as long as you have the 2zz they are the same
Just to be clear...

There are 3 primary engine harness for FED cars with 2ZZs.

2005: cable throttle cars

2006+: DBW NA Cars

2007+: DBW Supercharged cars

At some point in later years (circa 2011) it seems like they started using the SC harness on the NA cars and just leaving the IAT plug open since the NA cars didn’t use an IAT sensor.

2005 harnesses historically are WAY WAY expensive compared to the 2006+ harnesses. A while ago, it’s my understanding that 2006+ NA harnesses ran out of overstock. And then more recently, the 2007+ SC harnesses ran out of overstock. I don’t have perfectly good knowledge of the dates or precision of that information. The lack of overstock on the harnesses has driven the cost of them up from lotus if you can get them at all.

The 2005 harnesses will often times have damage on the 02 sensor wires and result in ECU damage and further harness damage. Exhaust heat is the culprit. Worth peeling them apart to repair and inspect in most cases. Again,they’re like gold...old brittle, poorly assembled, gold.lol

Good news is that if you have a 2006+ DBW car, it’s easy to adapt the NA harness to a SC car. The SC harness is PNP with an NA car. So basically, if it’s a DBW car, all the DBW harnesses will work PNP or with only very slight modification. THey’re suffering from age like the 05 harnesses though...

If a 2005 car, you have one model year to snag a harness from as converting a DBW harness to a 2005 harness is a pain and cost prohibitive. The 02 sensors and EVAP are part of the 05 harness and less so on the DBW harnesses. It’s not just a DBW to DBC change.

Additionally, the ECUs are completely different in 2005 vs other years, so you’ll have that road block too.

DRS and Jim Clayton will make you a replacement harness. Expect to pay 1500 or so.

-Phil

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to be clear...

There are 3 primary engine harness for FED cars with 2ZZs.

2005: cable throttle cars

2006+: DBW NA Cars

2007+: DBW Supercharged cars

At some point in later years (circa 2011) it seems like they started using the SC harness on the NA cars and just leaving the IAT plug open since the NA cars didn’t use an IAT sensor.

2005 harnesses historically are WAY WAY expensive compared to the 2006+ harnesses. A while ago, it’s my understanding that 2006+ NA harnesses ran out of overstock. And then more recently, the 2007+ SC harnesses ran out of overstock. I don’t have perfectly good knowledge of the dates or precision of that information. The lack of overstock on the harnesses has driven the cost of them up from lotus if you can get them at all.

The 2005 harnesses will often times have damage on the 02 sensor wires and result in ECU damage and further harness damage. Exhaust heat is the culprit. Worth peeling them apart to repair and inspect in most cases. Again,they’re like gold...old brittle, poorly assembled, gold.lol

Good news is that if you have a 2006+ DBW car, it’s easy to adapt the NA harness to a SC car. The SC harness is PNP with an NA car. So basically, if it’s a DBW car, all the DBW harnesses will work PNP or with only very slight modification. THey’re suffering from age like the 05 harnesses though...

If a 2005 car, you have one model year to snag a harness from as converting a DBW harness to a 2005 harness is a pain and cost prohibitive. The 02 sensors and EVAP are part of the 05 harness and less so on the DBW harnesses. It’s not just a DBW to DBC change.

Additionally, the ECUs are completely different in 2005 vs other years, so you’ll have that road block too.

DRS and Jim Clayton will make you a replacement harness. Expect to pay 1500 or so.

-Phil
my issue is the dreaded P01301 P0303 P0304 and if driven past 6K rpms P1302.

Did injector cleaning, crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor replacement, new 02 sensor, coil plugs, checked fuel pressure, compression good, timing is good, ran extra ground to all grounds from battery...…..

switched with a spare harness I had same codes with added knock sensor code, switched back to original same codes but no knock sensor......

idle is erratic but no leaks...…….smoke tested...….the idle hunts will not stay steady....I am at my wits end...…...I removed the SC 8 times to no avail...…...so I am down to either the ECU or the wiring is ****ed~

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
For me those symptoms were cured by a new harness from MWR. They said it is OEM but I dunno about that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts