The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get flamed, let me say that I ran a search for the adjustment to lower the gas pedal and have the text of the instructions. But when I provided them to my dealer's service department, they told me that they could not find the adjustment instructions in the shop manual and told me that they did not feel comfortable with the mod. (I have no beef with them, as they're very accommodating and didn't charge me for the time they've spent on this.)

I know Stan uploaded a PDF of the shop manual page, but now that he's password-protected all his images, I can't get access to it. Could someone please post another PDF of the page? Alternatively, if anyone has step-by-step photos of the mod and could post those, I would be eternally grateful. Even with my brake pedal adjusted all the way up, I am still having a pain trying to heel-toe this car. While it could just be the nut behind the wheel that needs adjusting, I find that I have no problem with heel-toe on my FJ Cruiser.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the post. Hopefully this will clear up any confusion on their end.

Another example of what a great resource this forum really is.:up:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I did the job myself, which was good because I tried a couple of height levels (by putting in more or less washers) to find the level that I liked.

Of course, laying on your back under the pedal box is not the easiest position to get in and out of. You may need to find a small, flexible assistant.

·
Registered
100 Posts
pedal adjustment

Diesel,

Lowering the gas pedal is one option but many '05 owners prefer to raise the brake pedal. With a low brake and gas pedal the non-adjustable clutch pedal is disproportionately high. Lotus published a technical bulletin on brake pedal adjustment. It does involve the "Lotus position"...... rotfl upside down in the driver's footwell to access the clevis and adjusting rod. The adjustment is confusingly called the "unstop distance." On '05 cars there is a space between a rubber stop and the brake pedal arm. The rod that actuates the vacuum booster can be lengthened to decrease the distance to the rubber stop. The brake pedal is raised as the distance to the rubber stop is decreased. If my failing memory is correct the minimum distance is 1 mm+ but I've run mine just touching the rubber stop for two years without problems.:D Not recommended though. :no: The switch for the brake lights has to be adjusted after you get the brake pedal in the desired location.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I already have the brake adjusted to the highest possible position, and even at street-braking levels, the brake pedal is substantially below the gas. It's hard to believe Lotus got something like this so wrong for a car that people will obviously want to heel-and-toe.

Of course, if the gas pedal adjustment doesn't work, maybe I can use that as an excuse to trade in for a new 240!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Thanks. I already have the brake adjusted to the highest possible position, and even at street-braking levels, the brake pedal is substantially below the gas. It's hard to believe Lotus got something like this so wrong for a car that people will obviously want to heel-and-toe.

Of course, if the gas pedal adjustment doesn't work, maybe I can use that as an excuse to trade in for a new 240!
You need to lower the accelerator pedal. Easy to do. Instructions are in the manual. I have an 05. I was able to adjust the pedals for easy heel toe.

My brake pedal is not anywhere near max. height on the adjustment.
FWIW

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks guys, I was planning to look for this today as well since SVAG wanted nothing to do with this when I had my car in a couple weeks ago. Been putting this off way to long.

Jim

·
Registered
206 Posts

I adjusted both pedals to their extreme and now they are off a little in the other direction... at least for street use. I need to back off the gas pedal a bit.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
adjustment

I adjusted the throttle so that at wot it is touching the firewall with the rubber tipped stopper removed. This allowed me to lower the brake pedal about an inch to accomodate my long legs and give great heel and toe position. I hate the "stuck upside down" position in the foot well but the result is worth it. If you are claustrophobic pay someone to do it for you. Do not forget to adjust the brake light switch so you do not get rear ended.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I adjusted the throttle so that at wot it is touching the firewall with the rubber tipped stopper removed. This allowed me to lower the brake pedal about an inch to accomodate my long legs and give great heel and toe position. I hate the "stuck upside down" position in the foot well but the result is worth it. If you are claustrophobic pay someone to do it for you. Do not forget to adjust the brake light switch so you do not get rear ended.
It only takes a couple of minutes to take the seat out - that makes life much more bearable!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It only takes a couple of minutes to take the seat out - that makes life much more bearable!
Ok, i'm an idiot. Never thought about taking the seat out and doing it. I tried adjusting the brake before, but I couldn't turn the bolts. How the heck did you guys get tools up there and adjust the brake? I've tried twice with no sucess.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I cut my 17mm Craftsman wrench in half, at an angle. Then I welded it back together. Created a new wrench with a 45? degree angle. The jam nut is tight tight tight. I kept getting confused on which way to turn it. Upside down and backwards under the dash is tough.

I think you can buy wrenches with that angle.

p.s. MitchT please return my wrench.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I cut my 17mm Craftsman wrench in half, at an angle. Then I welded it back together. Created a new wrench with a 45? degree angle. The jam nut is tight tight tight. I kept getting confused on which way to turn it. Upside down and backwards under the dash is tough.

I think you can buy wrenches with that angle.

p.s. MitchT please return my wrench.
Ah, the other half of the secret. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
OMG, I can finally heel&toe in my 05 elise. Wish I did this a year ago. This try was much easier after I took the seat out. All I had to do was adjust the brake pedal. Once done, the new height is perfect with the gas pedal. Also, my brake feel is much better, I lost the mushy feeling I hated since day one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts