The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I was installing an aftermarket exhaust. I took off the belly pan, diffuser and got the exhaust installed. I put everything back together. Everything went back together perfectly. I went to install the belly pan. I mounted it up with the 2 big bolts in the center, then went down where the diffuser and the belly pan meet. I put the 5-6 8mm belly pan bolts on. Those went on fine. I went over to the driver side where the three 8mm bolts bolt into the frame. Those 3 went on fine. I went over to the passenger side, I was only able to get 1 bolt to thread and snug it up. That was the one closest to the rear. The middle one and one closet to the front will not thread on for the life of me. I spent about 30-45 mins trying my ass off to get this to thread in and nothing will work. I am out of ideas on what to do. Is the part stripped on the frame where the bolts go into? Should I helicoil it? I took the Lotus for a quick spin and I was able to hear a small rattle under the passenger seat. I figured that was the belly pan going up down touching metal on metal with the air flowing through. That sound will drive me crazy. Need to fix it. Anyone have any ideas what would be the best fix to get those last 2 screws in there?

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
Try backing all your bolts out and make sure the pan is centered in the slots and try those bolts again all bolts should be in before the two large ones are tightened as they have the shoulder on the washer to help center it and then I tighten from front to back each side. If you tightened one side before bolts were in all the way around it can cause improper alignment and binding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try backing all your bolts out and make sure the pan is centered in the slots and try those bolts again all bolts should be in before the two large ones are tightened as they have the shoulder on the washer to help center it and then I tighten from front to back each side. If you tightened one side before bolts were in all the way around it can cause improper alignment and binding.
I tried that. I took all the bolts off and loosely put the center bolts on so I can move the belly pan. I then started with the passenger side I had issues with. That way I can move it anyway I want to. It still wouldn't thread on

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I sometime have trouble with those bolts as well, by the way, they are not 8mm bolts, they are 5mm. To make it a bit easier for them to thread in I use a bit of "Never-Seez", that seems to help a lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sometime have trouble with those bolts as well, by the way, they are not 8mm bolts, they are 5mm. To make it a bit easier for them to thread in I use a bit of "Never-Seez", that seems to help a lot.
I had to use a 8mm socket to take them off. I know they are like a M5x0.8 thread pitch but I never heard of Never Seeze. I was turning that bolt so many times yesterday trying to get it to catch onto something and hope it would screw on but when I took my 1/4 socket wrench off, the bolt kept falling off as if it never grabbed anything.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
You can also try to stick a spike or a nail in there first to realign the clip, just move it around to align it. I always start the bolt by hand and make sure it's square to the belly pan, should go in no problem.
Let us know if it works for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can also try to stick a spike or a nail in there first to realign the clip, just move it around to align it. I always start the bolt by hand and make sure it's square to the belly pan, should go in no problem.
Let us know if it works for you.
I'll have to put the car back on the ramps and try again. I'll try that to see if it works. Thanks man.

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
Reactions: Lotus05Elise
1 - 8 of 8 Posts