The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2005 Elise in great condition.

On the center console there is a button just to the left and rear of the hazard button. It does not seem to do anything. At first I thought it was the result of a prior console replacement, but it is lighted, and is connected to the wiring harness in this area, so I think it's been there from day 1.

I have the LSS package and nothing else (love the wind up windows!). But I thought traction control was not a part of that package until later?

If anyone can help with my mystery button I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Do you have the tell-tale light in the dash. Does it come on during the "bulb check". With the engine running, if you press and hold the button does it turn on the tell-tale to show the LTC disabled.

The Service Manual says that LTC was on option from MY '06 onwards, as it relies on the Fly-By-Wire throttle. The manual also says:

The ECU progamming for '06 M.Y. cars includes Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) and Lotus Traction Control (LTC), and may be identified by interrogation using the Scan tool; Non-USA: A120E0030H. USA: A121E0010H.
In order for LTC to be operative, a new ECU must detect the presence of the LTC 'off' switch within the first 5 ignition cycles. If no switch is detected (the switch does not need to be activated), the LTC programme will be locked out indefinately, and can only be reset by Lotus Cars.

I can verify the part about the ECU as when I borrowed an ECU to pass emissions, my LTC was inoperative and only returned when my original ECU was re-fitted.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Sure it isn't the door locking button?

·
Registered
355 Posts
On the center console there is a button just to the left and rear of the hazard button
Sure it isn't the door locking button?
The door switch is on the front of the console and is a rocker switch, not a button. Or at least that's how it is on mine.

Cheers.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
ejection seat maybe? I'd get a safety cover on that thing.

·
Registered
514 Posts

On the center console there is a button just to the left and rear of the hazard button. It does not seem to do anything. At first I thought it was the result of a prior console replacement, but it is lighted, and is connected to the wiring harness in this area, so I think it's been there from day 1.

I have the LSS package and nothing else (love the wind up windows!). But I thought traction control was not a part of that package until later?

Press and hold. After about two seconds it will turn traction control off and the dash light will illuminate. The icon is the back end of the car with tire marks.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Its has to be Ejection seat or Death Ray!

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Actually, traction control was an option in 2005 as a stand alone option. Chances are that you have traction control but not the limited slip differential.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
GunPilot... we need centerline tape and some of those toggle switches with the red spring loaded safeties (covers) on them....
Some days it really sucks to be a civilian...half of my '74 Europa was built in our A-10 avionics sensors systems shop at RAF Bentwaters. Mounting the 30mm cannon was problematic.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts

Have you checked the front grills for hidden machine guns? Maybe the button doesn't work because its out of ammo?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
no -the machine gun icon is located directly adjacent to the traction control icon in the instrument cluster. When the gun is "dry" It should flash, and then spell out the words "oh crap" on your alpha numeric stereo display - if your vehicle is so equipped. Apparently the tough part is getting the ammo belts (rounds alternate between depleted uranium and high explosive) to slide and feed over the stock oil coolers without snagging.. this has caused oil line failures in the past which Lotus has been gracious enough to cover under the recall. Check your safeties. Of course the guns can be removed for track use, but I find it easier to leave them in, and give the stubborn opponent a flat at an opportune time. This might be considered a rule violation in an official race.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Komiko, That GAU-8 would wreak havoc on that poor Europa chassis!

I had a similar experience while sorting out a GT-6...in our hydraulics shop.

The safety covers on the basic toggle switches can be bought through Aircraft Spruce and Specialty...Got a couple on order!

Leo

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going out to the garage right now. But it will take me a while to get back to this thread because first I have to park it in front of a cement bunker, sit in the passenger seat, and put on my radiation suit.

It is not the door lock switch-- that one is is a rocker.

Wish me luck.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
it ain't easy being a Lotus owner.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Komiko, That GAU-8 would wreak havoc on that poor Europa chassis!

I had a similar experience while sorting out a GT-6...in our hydraulics shop.

The safety covers on the basic toggle switches can be bought through Aircraft Spruce and Specialty...Got a couple on order!

Leo
that is a very nasty gun. Probably weighs much more than the car. Heck, the ammo probably weighs more than the car. I really miss that centerline tape though. Maybe I can find it on Amazon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.