The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up an 06 Elise in August and absolutely love the car but it is by no means perfect. Now that winter is here, I have a list of items I'm trying to go through to update the car. This winter I'm "mainly" focusing on updating any safety or maintenance items. I already replaced both shift cables (this was actually easier than I thought), removed interior for cleaning, and next on my list is to replace the headlight lenses as the ones that came with the car were severely scratched up around the entire black portion of the lens. I got the lenses off and separated from the housing but it got me thinking, I should probably update the standard low beams to HID's as well since the halogen lights really suck. I've been doing research online and this forum and unfortunately, I'm not really finding much in terms of "for sure" answers on how to best proceed with this (unless my Google skills have failed me). Most of the HID threads here seem to be a year old if not older, and I'm not finding too many great threads with some step by step help on doing this upgrade. My question then for anyone familiar with this is the following:

Since I just want to change the low beams (top headlights), I was looking at this as what I wanted to get:
Morimoto Elise H1

I would go with the 35W with the 4500K H1 bulbs. I've seen a lot of mixed opinions on DDM and I would rather spend a few extra bucks on something that seems to be a little bit better quality based on my research. Does anyone have any experience with these at all?
Also, do I need to get new projectors too? Or will the OEM projectors be just fine?

Hopefully the above makes sense and any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
There are many threads on this topic. No major changes in HIDs in years, so even the older threads are usable.

How to Search:

For future reference: Don't use the search on this site. Simply use Google and end the search text with "site:lotustalk.com". E.g.
Transmission Fluid change what bolt site:lotustalk.com

no space betweensite:lotustalk.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. Re-reading some old threads I missed and it's been helpful, though the only item I really can't find any info on is the projectors and for the 05/06 models if it's needed to switch them out or not. I found one thread discussing that the standard projectors don't focus the light correctly but I don't see anything recommending a projector other than ORE (and ORE doesn't really seem to sell anything anymore from what I've read). So I'm curious if people have experience doing an HID swap with and without a projector swap and if so, what projector? I was looking at the morimoto 7.0 mini h1 which I found a video (not installation) of someone using them in their Elise but it didn't go into detail on them or installation.

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was also going to pursue this, having had an old H1 retrofit in OEM housings, then removing them. I saw this online and was contemplating it. You would have to fab up a mounting bracket, not a big deal, with their retrofit version of the projector kit. Honestly, just a bulb retrofit is probably the easiest path and Morimoto make that also.

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
I don't know. First, know that LED's do not get light far enough down the road according to The Retrofit ppl.

Second, the HIDs alone provide 90% of lighting for vision at night.

I have, as mentioned, the ORE system and it helped that last 10% at most.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, looks like the inokinetic one uses the ORE bracket and it says sold out, so I'm doubting they'll get more in (as you said, I can always check with them too). The video above is what I saw with the H1 mini retrofit. After thinking about it, I think just going with the Morimoto HID bulbs from my original post might just be the way to go and if I need a projector down the road, I can always get one.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So I picked up an 06 Elise in August and absolutely love the car but it is by no means perfect. Now that winter is here, I have a list of items I'm trying to go through to update the car. This winter I'm "mainly" focusing on updating any safety or maintenance items. I already replaced both shift cables (this was actually easier than I thought), removed interior for cleaning, and next on my list is to replace the headlight lenses as the ones that came with the car were severely scratched up around the entire black portion of the lens. I got the lenses off and separated from the housing but it got me thinking, I should probably update the standard low beams to HID's as well since the halogen lights really suck. I've been doing research online and this forum and unfortunately, I'm not really finding much in terms of "for sure" answers on how to best proceed with this (unless my Google skills have failed me). Most of the HID threads here seem to be a year old if not older, and I'm not finding too many great threads with some step by step help on doing this upgrade. My question then for anyone familiar with this is the following:

Since I just want to change the low beams (top headlights), I was looking at this as what I wanted to get:
Morimoto Elise H1

I would go with the 35W with the 4500K H1 bulbs. I've seen a lot of mixed opinions on DDM and I would rather spend a few extra bucks on something that seems to be a little bit better quality based on my research. Does anyone have any experience with these at all?
Also, do I need to get new projectors too? Or will the OEM projectors be just fine?

Hopefully the above makes sense and any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated!
I don’t think our cars need the anti flicker capacitor that is included in your link. That was designed for modern cars with PWM in the headlight circuit. TRC have a good video on their options. I’m not sure how plug-and- play their CANBUS wiring is either. Might have to do some cutting/splicing.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I installed the bi-zenon Inokinetic kit a year or so back. it was a mix of parts from various suppliers and included projectors that take advantage of the hid bulbs. if you install hid bulbs in stock projectors the light isn‘t focused and gets scattered and wasted.

My experience with the hid kit hasn’t been very good. The instructions didn’t match the components in the kit and the install was confusing and difficult. After a few months the driver side failed, and I wrongly assumed replacing with a new bulb (expensive) would fix it.

It didn’t.

So I put the old projector and bulb back in (a big PITA) and am driving around with halogen on one side and HID on the other to get me by until I can try a new ballast or igniter.

Replacing bulbs requires access from behind the headlight housing, because the Morimoto bulbs only come with pigtail attached...another PITA. Swapping parts from the good side to the bad to isolate the problem, which I should have done from the beginning, is difficult and requires jacking up the front end, and removal of both front wheels and wheelwell liners.

Eventually, I’ll get the hid system working again, but so far it’s been expensive and time consuming. I’m not a huge fan of hid lighting on the Elise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The good news for me is that the wheel well liner is already out and so are the lens assemblies. I actually decided since I have the lens and housing separated currently and before I put the new lens on the housing, is that I am going to install the GRP Halo rings for the front lights, they'll be here tomorrow going by the tracking. So that should at least add a tasteful look to the front lights.
Thanks though for the insight though the stock projectors with an HID.This is going to take some more thinking on my end is what I'm starting to see. Maybe just hold off on the HID's for now (I try not to drive the car at night anyways) but I'll give it some more thought. Appreciate everyone's feedback so far!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'll chime in. I bought the DDM kit for my 06 Exige (same headlights) in 2011. The passenger ballast just died, and I ordered a replacement pair. They have a lifetime warranty, but I figure having a spare around isa good idea, and they are so cheap (the drivers side is the same age, so I figure probably EOL soon too)

Install was easy enough. No clam cutting required, there's a thread on it somewhere. I picked up the 55w 5000k package, and I love it. You don't need any of the extra kit. Some people have some radio interference... I don't use AM/FM anyway, so never bothered me.

The change in light output is huge. Game changingly huge. Enjoy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts