The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Elise doesn't look stock anymore. Wheels are "Anthricite Grey". Front splitter and Exige side scoops are new as well.

I think it looks the bee's knees.

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Looks great!

I'm not biased because my car almost looks exactly like that either.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Just the fact that it's CO makes it the cat's meow.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
It looks awesome!! I really like the Exige scoops... may have to do that myself.

There is one thing about that picture though, something (possibly the angle) makes the front wheels look bigger than the back wheels instead of the reverse.

Very cool car.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Powder coat that gas door!
Yes I agree, I just haven't decided exactly how I want it yet...I was thinking of having the Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman initials CNC cut into the gas door, then powdercoating it and masking the initials.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks awesome!! I really like the Exige scoops... may have to do that myself.

There is one thing about that picture though, something (possibly the angle) makes the front wheels look bigger than the back wheels instead of the reverse.

Very cool car.
If you decide to do the Exige scoops, let me know so I can show you how I mounted mine. They are completely removable and the mounting hardware cost me less than $20.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd love to know how you mounted the Exige scoops. I was going to do this, but most of the scoops I found required drilling through the body in order to mount them. I was definitely not cool with that!

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Yes I agree, I just haven't decided exactly how I want it yet...I was thinking of having the Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman initials CNC cut into the gas door, then powdercoating it and masking the initials.
Do it in the reverse order - powdercoat everything then cut. It will leave you with nice, silver initials without masking. Heck, you could even laser mark it (surprisingly cheap).

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's my simple scoop mounts.

They don't look like much, but they hold the scoops tight against the side of the car. I've already tested them to 100+ mph and the scoops didn't budge.

All the parts I bought at Lowes (except the Exige scoops, which I bought off a member here)

You'll need:

2 each 1" wide x 3 ft long aluminum strips (thicker the better...I should have used thicker, but no matter they work fine)

#10 U-Nuts

#10 button head cap screws (I used the security star type so they're harder to steal)

Finishing washers

Coat hanger

So the first thing I did was remove the stock vent. To do that you remove rear wheels, inner liners, 2x bolts holding the vents in.

Next, I used painters tape to hold the scoops in place on the car where I wanted them. Then I used the wire from a coat hanger to bend little mock-up brackets from one of the bolts for the stock vents (all 3 of these brackets will be bolted to the car with 1 bolt...when you take out the stock vent you'll see what I'm talking about. Mark the hole locations with a marker.

Then I cut and bent the aluminum strips to match the shape and length of the coat hanger wire. I drilled holes for screw clearance and installed the U-nuts over the holes. I painted the aluminum black so it hides inside the vent nicely.

Stack the brackets over each other lining up the thru hole for the singe rear bolt. Leave the bolt a little loose. Align them like I've shown (it doesn't need to be perfect yet). Put the scoop over the brackets and using your other hand move the brackets until you can see the U-nut hole through the scoop hole. Install 1 screw/washer at a time until all 3 are tight.

Then tighten the back screw and ta-da you're done.

If all went well then the scoop should be held tightly to the car. If the scoop is loose then you've made the brackets too long. Just remove them and re-drill the rear bolt hole a little closer and re-bend the brackets.

They're basically acting like little tension rods.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts