The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was took my 06 out for a ride. No problems at all. Stopped at a gas station for a snack. Hopped back into the car and started it back yup. It drove for about 50 feet and sputtered out. Tried to restart the car. Sputter and die. Had it towed back to my house and it seems like the fuel pump is not priming. Any help would be great!!

Here is what I have checked so far.

All fuses with multimeter (all ok in engine bay and under front panel)
Inertia switch in the back(no clicks doesnt seem triggered)

I have seen a few posts talking about the immobilizer possibly causing this. How do I check that?

Can i just cross the two wires into the inertia switch to make sure that the actual switch is ok?

I have also seen a post on it possibly being the multi-function relay. How do I test this?

Then of course there is testing the actual fuel pump. I have read that there are no markings for positive/negative on the pump wires. Is this true?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well I tore out the seats. Tested the fuel pump. I was still not getting 12volts. I went back into the engine bay and wiggled the crap out of the multi function relay. Tested again and the pump came alive.

Scary!

I do not want up this thing without knowing if that relay is bad. Does anyone know where I can get another one at a decent price?

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Well I tore out the seats. Tested the fuel pump. I was still not getting 12volts. I went back into the engine bay and wiggled the crap out of the multi function relay. Tested again and the pump came alive.

Scary!

I do not want up this thing without knowing if that relay is bad. Does anyone know where I can get another one at a decent price?
I have seen the wiring terminals on the MFRU get damp and corroded. I suggest cleaning the terminals on both the unit and the plug.
Michael

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Michael,

Thanks for the heads up. I picked up some contact cleaner today and I am going to clean them up tonight after work. Hopefully that takes care of the problem. I am also still thinking about picking up a extra mfru just in case i run into the problem again.

·
give me my second cam!
451 Posts
Not to ask a stupid question but where is the MFRU located in the engine compartment exactly on a 05 Elise? Does anybody have a pic by any chance of where to look in the engine compartment? Thanks.:bow:

·
give me my second cam!
451 Posts
Not having any problems at all...knock on wood,but would like to know just in case when and if it does happen and what to clean and fix or replace. My car has 94k miles on it and counting so there might be a little corrosion on mine already. Thanks for the diagram!:clap:

·
give me my second cam!
451 Posts
94k! :bow: I hope mine is that reliable in the end! Have you had any major issues?
No...none yet knock on wood!:D But I reallize that it helps to keep up with these kind of threads so that if iit happens to me I might have a good chance to counter it.:clap:In the meantime keep all us here posted to see if you get it permanetly fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts