The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have been having intermittent issues and I have tracked it down to being an electrical fault. Basically the car would suddenly just die for no reason and read 0 fuel even if the tank was full, and the fuel pump that is supposed to run for 3 sec before starting would run constantly. I was thinking the fuel pump was bad because I was getting what I thought was fuel starvation issues on left hand turns, however, it turns out that it is something to do with one of the splices in the wiring. Basically I found one of the connectors was lose and just floating and when it was wiggled there was the tell tale sound of electricity ticking indicating a short.

Fuel Pump constantly

Fuel Gauge (Tank is full)

Wiggling anything in this area would cause a clicking sound (short) and would temporary fix the issues.

I thought this was the problem splice but I re-wired it and was getting the same issue.

If anyone has ideas I would be open to suggestions. Im about 80% sure its an electrical short but I need a resistance reader to track it down and I need to steal one from work tonight.

Thanks

-Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any luck? Unfortunately i dont know much about these cars at all but i thought i'd go ahead and suggest that you check to see if the fuel pump relay is working properly (assuming there is one on elise/exiges...)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havnt been able to tear into it (gonna take the rear clam off this weekend and dig into wire charts). Stupid Air Force is working me to the bone during the week haha.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked all the fuses, It's def a wire. Rear clam coming off today.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So to update. Took the car all to bits. Got fuel flow but no spark from the spark plugs, Fuel gauge still reading zero even though there is fuel and fuel flow. Fuel pump is still on a constant too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi David,

We've carried out some checks on the car as follows:

No fuel being delivered to cylinders - injectors
No spark
Inspected bores
No connection at OBD port

As the engine will tun and fuel pump runs, it's not immobiliser. We think it's the ECU. Replaced ECU did not fix the issue

Kind regards
Marianne
Hi Dave,

Well... yes and no. Our technician Sam has gone through the BOE docs and checked the wiring and has confirmed that the wiring is as it should be. We fitted the new ECU yesterday when it arrived, but it hasn't resolved the issue.

He has identified that there is a change in voltage to the injectors which we can't explain. It drops from 12v to 2.5 I think (sorry the guys are at Brands Hatch today) and we originally thought that it was the fault of the ECU, but we now know that's not the case. When we supply 12v to the injectors the fuel pump cuts, which doesn't make any sense.

There is a Multi function relay unit on the car which we have swapped for a new one, which hasn't solved the problem either.

That's a far as we got on Friday. We will start again on Monday.

Do you know anything about the piggy back ECU? We're wondering if this controls the fuelling, so the issue might be there?

Kind regards
Marianne
Anyone have any ideas?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts