The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched for an answer to this and have come up dry. I noticed a few days ago that two of the LED's on my tail light were out. I have the tail light off the car now, but it doesn't look like it's going to open up without a fight. If I remember right, I read these lights were designed "not to fail".... I would assume I could just buy two new bulbs, but I haven't dealt with LED tail lights before. Not to mention I don't want to have to force the housing open. Thanks in advance.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
No, you can not replace the two led's. If your car is still under warranty your good, if not, your gonna have to purchase a new light. This is a common issue and over time I expect all led tail lights to do this. I think Lotus used to small of resistors and the voltage is too high, it would explain why the LEDs are so damn bright.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, you can not replace the two led's. If your car is still under warranty your good, if not, your gonna have to purchase a new light. This is a common issue and over time I expect all led tail lights to do this.
Ah, it is what it is. Car is not under warranty, time to search for a replacement tail light.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You can buy LEDs by the bag full pretty cheaply. I'm not sure what size it is, but I would guess 10mm? (don't quote me on that one)

If you're handy with a soldering iron, it shouldn't be too bad of a fix

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
You have to match the current draw/brightness and the spectra too, or they will be dimmer/brighter, wrong shade of red.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
You have to match the current draw/brightness and the spectra too, or they will be dimmer/brighter, wrong shade of red.
Exactly, if a person had a wrecked light to pull LEDs from, it wouldn't be a huge deal, aside from splitting the ultrasonicly welded lense. The led failure is what keeps me from upgrading from my '05 lights.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I have considered modifying my 05 lights to have a ring of LEDs. The key factor is to not get excessive on the drive current, it causes premature failure of the LEDs, which should last (if not over driven with current) about 100K hours. It may not end up quite as bright as stock, but it will be a build it once, and last forever.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the info. I will probably end up attempting to swap the two LEDS out, and if it fails/looks terrible, i'll just buy a new light. It doesn't bother me too much as of now, so i'll see how long I can before it starts to get to me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a broke tail light that the LEDs can be harvested from.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I'm wondering this as well. I've got the same problem, two LEDs burnt out in the driver's side inboard tail light. How do you remove the red lens of the light?! A heat gun?

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I hate bumping "dead" threads but I guess it's not 'that' old.. :)

I'm guessing not everyone looks in the "parts wanted" section, so figured I'd check here too.. I'm doing some work with LED taillights, sort of making my own insides but figured it would be quicker to start with OEM outer lenses. (I like the LED lens shape more than the shape / look of the '05 ones I have too)

Anyone have some burned out / broken LED taillights with good red lenses they'd part with? Probably dozens thrown out around the country that would work for what I need, not something someone would normally want / keep around after replacement..

I'd offer to fix them, but its not super easy.. Ever try to solder an LED on an aluminum circuit board? It acts as a heat sink and sucks all the heat out of the iron until the whole board is 600 degrees.. Trying to match LEDs would be tough too unless swapping them from another light, but why bother if more will burn out quickly?

Also for the record they didn't just cheap out and use current limiting resistors, there are constant current driver chips like there should be in there. I think the LEDs are just being driven too close to their max rating to get bright enough light out of them. Most (all?) high end cars with LEDs seem to use much larger individual LED chips rather than these tiny "5050" style ones..

Anyway.. :) Anyone have some lenses they'd part with?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Ugh, someone just needs to develop a replacement solution. Though I guess this way Lotus will keep getting residual income from owners constantly replacing their tailights for 280 a pop long after the business has shuttered.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Does it look like a couple LED's burned out, or water inside, or something else? Might be salvageable.. What year are the lights? Original 06 type, or later "revised" design?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts