The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
For those of you that have affected this repair by pop-riveting an aluminum "L" bracket to the plastic tower, why did you choose to do this on the "outboard" side of the tower as opposed to the "inboard" side?

Seems to me that it would be easier to do the inboard side, provided there is room for the new bracket on the inboard side.

***UPDATE***

I just spent the better part of a day fabricating aluminum brackets to fix three of my six broken mounting points and reinforce two others. I let the one remaining point ride. What a colossal waste of time. I'm pretty annoyed with the beet farmers (or is it turnip?) in Hethel at the moment.

Anyway, I answered my own question above. The inboard side of the trailing edge mounts / towers might be easier to fabricate, but then you lose some adjustment range for the speed nut. Stick with the outboard side.

05 Lotus Elise Headlamp Repair

My right headlamp popped out. All three mounting points had broken free. Checked the left side since this is a common problem and the covers are very expensive to replace at about $900 each. One mounting point had cracked on the left side.

I 3d scanned the mounting points and designed aluminum mounting brackets that can be used to repair broken plastic or be used to reinforce the plastic before it does break.

Worked great! Have hardware kits available for anyone needing to fix their broken covers or better yet reinforcing them before they break. They will.

My right headlamp popped out. All three mounting points had broken free. Checked the left side since this is a common problem and the covers are very expensive to replace at about $900 each. One mounting point had cracked on the left side.

I 3d scanned the mounting points and designed aluminum mounting brackets that can be used to repair broken plastic or be used to reinforce the plastic before it does break.

Worked great! Have hardware kits available for anyone needing to fix their broken covers or better yet reinforcing them before they break. They will.

Pictures and pricing details please.

I'm interested in photos and the alum bits.

BTW, if you coat the alum with Ivory (no other) soap before heating it, know that when the soap turns black, the alum is now bendable.

Had to replace a low beam bulb today and found mine are cracked as well. Actually had to replace 2 bulbs so the whiteness of the light would match.

Tagging on to the thread as it seems the most appropriate. Anyone tried the following options yet?

1) Plastex - seems to be a moldable putty like plastic that hardens and then can be machined. Like with a Dremel tool
2) Hot glue gun - apparently this will bond and hardens but with a bit of flexibility. I have 7mm black glue gun sticks and you create a 'form'. The form should have some vaseline on it so the glue does not stick. Going to give that a try.

Had to replace a low beam bulb today and found mine are cracked as well. Actually had to replace 2 bulbs so the whiteness of the light would match.

Tagging on to the thread as it seems the most appropriate. Anyone tried the following options yet?

1) Plastex - seems to be a moldable putty like plastic that hardens and then can be machined. Like with a Dremel tool
2) Hot glue gun - apparently this will bond and hardens but with a bit of flexibility. I have 7mm black glue gun sticks and you create a 'form'. The form should have some vaseline on it so the glue does not stick. Going to give that a try.
GRP sells a repair kit

https://www.gregsraceparts.com/coll...006-prior-s2-headlight-housing-tab-repair-kit

Finally got it done and pretty pleased with the results. Blue tack covered with alum foil and vaseline acts as form work for the post. Put black hot glue on and don't be shy. Let it dry and harden completely then use a hobby knife to trim. Finally a light sanding and there ya go. View attachment 1 Rear-view mirror Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Vehicle Car
Automotive lighting Light Auto part Headlamp Vehicle

Sent from my Elephone P7000 using Tapatalk

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.