The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 6 months after I picked up my car in '06 this light went out. I took it in for service and they told me it was a blown fuse.

At the end of '07 this light would go off every once in a while and then come back on.

Recently the light was off permenantely again. Today at Exarkuns mod day I checked to see if there was any kind of short in the wiring and we could not find anything. We pulled the fuse and it was blown again.

This was a 10amp fuse and we increased it to a 15amp. Has anyone else had a problem like this or heard of a similar situation? How serious of a problem is it that I increased the fuse to 15amps?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
About 6 months after I picked up my car in '06 this light went out. I took it in for service and they told me it was a blown fuse.

At the end of '07 this light would go off every once in a while and then come back on.

Recently the light was off permenantely again. Today at Exarkuns mod day I checked to see if there was any kind of short in the wiring and we could not find anything. We pulled the fuse and it was blown again.

This was a 10amp fuse and we increased it to a 15amp. Has anyone else had a problem like this or heard of a similar situation? How serious of a problem is it that I increased the fuse to 15amps?

Thanks for your input!
From the sound of the symptoms I'd guess you have an intermittent short... that is, occasionally the wire that goes to the headlight is shorting out due to insulation chafing, exposed connectors, etc. If this is the case, it's generally very hard to diagnose. Replacing the fuse with a larger one will not solve the problem... an exposed short to ground will blow practically any reasonable fuse you'd put in there. On the other hand, going from a 10 amp to a 15 amp fuse will not cause a serious problem. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have the same issue. The loose wire seems to be near the light. When the door is shut it usually comes on, or if you tap the headlight housing. It seems I'll be making an appointment with FoD soon.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might have a wiring problem as well. But the fuse has fixed it so far and I have not had any further problems. I will have them take a look at it next time it is in the shop.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
How serious of a problem is it that I increased the fuse to 15amps?

It'll just make the fire start quicker. Kind of like putting a penny behind an old fuse. :shrug:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the same issue. The loose wire seems to be near the light. When the door is shut it usually comes on, or if you tap the headlight housing. It seems I'll be making an appointment with FoD soon.
My car just started having this problem. I have to lightly hit the housing for it to stay on. I was planning to check the connection but I think that I'll just wait for my next scheduled service so I can also get my headlights aimed correctly. I doubt there's anything I could do about it.

Let me know what they found out about yours.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
a bit of an update: I purchased HIDs from DaBears2k and I haven't had any issues with the passenger headlight not coming on. Obviously it was just a loose wire or something, considering all I did was plug in the new harness.

So if you have the time and desire, I suggest checking all the plugs on the headlight.

·
Registered
999 Posts
It'll just make the fire start quicker. Kind of like putting a penny behind an old fuse. :shrug:
I gotta agree with that assessment. Last time I put a higher amp fuse in a car because of a light that went out and a blown fuse, I ended up having to empty a fire extinguisher into the trunk of a Fiat X1/9. (Contrary to popular belief, an X1/9 on fire is not an overall improvement:huh:.)

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Whether or not it is dangerous to move from a 10A fuse to a 15A fuse depends on the wire size being served by the fuse. If it is an instantaneous fuse, it will probably do the job under conditions of short circuit /ground fault.

But without knowing any better, I'm inclined to say you're going to burn your car down to the ground under an overload condition, which is a different thing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am about to replace the right side running light for ther fourth time in two years. On the third try I discovered that the wiring at the plug in was scorched. I replaced the plug in. Here I go again.

For whatever reason, I'm still on the original on the left side!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts