The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the Sand Museum procedure for clam removal but the headlights are different on an 07 than on the car they use. I guess my first question is, do I need to remove the headlights to take the front clam off? They don't have the allen key bolts from earlier cars to remove the covers so wondering if they have to come off to gain access to a bolt.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
My '06 has a bolt under each headlight cover that thread into the crash structure. The head lights have to be removed to access them

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've got the Sand Museum procedure for clam removal but the headlights are different on an 07 than on the car they use. I guess my first question is, do I need to remove the headlights to take the front clam off? They don't have the allen key bolts from earlier cars to remove the covers so wondering if they have to come off to gain access to a bolt.

100% Yes on 07. There is a bolt under the light to radiator support.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks....lifted the lights and undid the bolt underneath. Been very straightforward so far. For anyone else, the spine nuts are simple by pulling the foam out. I had no real problems so far.

·
Registered
274 Posts
What is the Sand Museum procedure? I just removed my clam about a half hours ago, and used the "http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Remove_S2_front_clamshell" wiki procedure. Things were a little different than on my '05 though....hod to learn a couple things.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the Sand Museum procedure? I just removed my clam about a half hours ago, and used the "http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Remove_S2_front_clamshell" wiki procedure. Things were a little different than on my '05 though....hod to learn a couple things.
I saw that too and they appear to be the same with different layout and a bit more commentary in the sand museum.

Lotus Elise Maintenance, How to Remove the Front Clam

·
Registered
274 Posts
A much better write up...should be stickied! Wish I would have read this one before starting, but i figured it out with no damage. :)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
For a 2009 Elise do the turn signal lights need to be removed when removing the front clam?

The reason I ask is because one of mine was loose and I put in a spring to hold it together. I am hoping that during the oil line recall they can just unplug the turn signals from the rear.

Otherwise I'll need to verify that my spring is still hooked up after the recall has been completed.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
How hard is it to remove? I've been thinking of doing it just for giggles. Maybe replace the rad with an all metal one if I'm feeling bored.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't find it overly difficult. The front radiator bolts were the hardest thing. I cut small holes in the crash structure to fit the wrench. In New England, we have all winter with snow to do projects like this. I'd work for half an hour and do more next weekend. Take your time. Put stuff in bags with labels where they go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts