The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So......I'm thinking about upgrading the air box for my mostly stock '07 Exige. I have only upgraded the exhaust to the 2tubler "Road Exhaust" muffler.
I've looked at the archives regarding the TRD air box and came away mostly confused. It's half TRD and half stock box, etc.? I also gathered there
is an increase in supercharger whine because of the more open box design. This I like.
My objective is get more air and bonus of increased whine. Of course, the SC whine is purely for my driving pleasure (?).

I don't want to go elbow deep into replacing major components or spending thousands of dollars that I'll never get back.

My questions:
1) Can I buy a complete off-the-shelf TRD airbox and fit without modification?
2) If I'm able to buy this box, can I improve the air input via side scoop by adding a better snorkel?
3) Is there a better solution than the TRD airbox?

Appreciate the thoughts

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
So......I'm thinking about upgrading the air box for my mostly stock '07 Exige. I have only upgraded the exhaust to the 2tubler "Road Exhaust" muffler.
I've looked at the archives regarding the TRD air box and came away mostly confused. It's half TRD and half stock box, etc.? I also gathered there
is an increase in supercharger whine because of the more open box design. This I like.
My objective is get more air and bonus of increased whine. Of course, the SC whine is purely for my driving pleasure (?).

I don't want to go elbow deep into replacing major components or spending thousands of dollars that I'll never get back.

My questions:
1) Can I buy a complete off-the-shelf TRD airbox and fit without modification?
2) If I'm able to buy this box, can I improve the air input via side scoop by adding a better snorkel?
3) Is there a better solution than the TRD airbox?

Appreciate the thoughts
"2bular" is how it's spelled. I have the Cup airbox as part of the Blade 300 kit. I don't know that it increased supercharger whine, as a smaller pulley and aftermarket tune probably had more to do with it. Not sure if the Cup airbox is the same as the TRD unit. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

San

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
TRD airbox are found in 2-Elevens and CUP cars. It reuses half of the stock airbox, and the TRD kit comes with a bracket for the filter and the other half of the intake.

1) Yes.
Get it here Lotus Cup Airbox Kit With Filter - Elise, Exige 2005+ 2ZZ
or from UK TRD Airbox and Filter | EliseParts
or Lotus Sport TRD Air Box and Filter - Lotus Sport Parts - Track
or from the Netherlands TRD Airbox including Filter (Elise, Exige, 2-Eleven - Toyota engine) [TRDAB] - €92.50 : Elise Shop, Performance parts for your Lotus Elise
I've found they more or less arrive at the same time, and one may be cheaper than another depending on the exchange rate.

2) TRD box has no snorkel. Not sure if adding one will help. (de-snorkling stock airbox gives noise boost as well)

3) Sure. Not sure about being 'better', though. I don't think anyone's done a back-to-back comparison on a dyno or at a track. Some of them like to throw a code and require a tune. Not sure there's much to be gained from the intake. Car seems oddly sensitive to intake changes. YMMV
K&N Performance Air Intake System for Elise & Exige 2zz
S2 & S3 Elise / Exige Pipercross Air Filter | EliseParts
Elise S2 Reverie Daytona Induction Kit | Hangar 111
Elise 111R and Exige S2 ITG Maxogen Induction Kit - Cable Throttle 2004-06 | Hangar 111
Elise 111R and Exige 2ZZ ITG Maxogen Induction Kit - Fly-By-Wire 2006 on | Hangar 111
ITG Cold Air Box w/ 3" MAF for REV400, REV 300, and Exige S – BOE Fabrication
Hurricane Induction kit for VVTi engine (Elise 111r, Exige S2, Federal Elise) [HCVVTi] - €209.95 : Elise Shop, Performance parts for your Lotus Elise

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
TRD airbox are found in 2-Elevens and CUP cars. It reuses half of the stock airbox, and the TRD kit comes with a bracket for the filter and the other half of the intake.

1) Yes.
Get it here Lotus Cup Airbox Kit With Filter - Elise, Exige 2005+ 2ZZ
or from UK TRD Airbox and Filter | EliseParts
or Lotus Sport TRD Air Box and Filter - Lotus Sport Parts - Track
or from the Netherlands TRD Airbox including Filter (Elise, Exige, 2-Eleven - Toyota engine) [TRDAB] - €92.50 : Elise Shop, Performance parts for your Lotus Elise
I've found they more or less arrive at the same time, and one may be cheaper than another depending on the exchange rate.

2) TRD box has no snorkel. Not sure if adding one will help. (de-snorkling stock airbox gives noise boost as well)

3) Sure. Not sure about being 'better', though. I don't think anyone's done a back-to-back comparison on a dyno or at a track. Some of them like to throw a code and require a tune. Not sure there's much to be gained from the intake. Car seems oddly sensitive to intake changes. YMMV
K&N Performance Air Intake System for Elise & Exige 2zz
S2 & S3 Elise / Exige Pipercross Air Filter | EliseParts
Elise S2 Reverie Daytona Induction Kit | Hangar 111
Elise 111R and Exige S2 ITG Maxogen Induction Kit - Cable Throttle 2004-06 | Hangar 111
Elise 111R and Exige 2ZZ ITG Maxogen Induction Kit - Fly-By-Wire 2006 on | Hangar 111
ITG Cold Air Box w/ 3" MAF for REV400, REV 300, and Exige S – BOE Fabrication
Hurricane Induction kit for VVTi engine (Elise 111r, Exige S2, Federal Elise) [HCVVTi] - €209.95 : Elise Shop, Performance parts for your Lotus Elise
Quite the outstanding response.

San

1 - 4 of 4 Posts