The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, great site and enthusiasts here after browsing for some time.
I'm deciding between the '07 Exige S, '08 Club Racer and '08 S 240.
Nice problem to have.
So I'm going to run down the differences I know of and would like to hear
anything I missed or should be made aware of.....Thanks!
My usage will be 60/40 street/track with about 25 track days / year.

Engine: Essentially all the same, (220v.240) especially since I'll do a Gotham265 which I think will make them identical.

Suspension: They all have the track pack so the adjustable Bilsteins and collars are the same I think.

Brakes: The CR/S240 have the advantage with the AP 4 piston fronts

Interior: The CR/S240 are supposed to have improved sound deadening and
have the black gauges/updated trim
CR has the Alcantara seating/trim and some carbon pieces.
All have harness bar/seat hoops for harness

Exterior: S240 has Cup scoop (which I've read makes a negligible difference afaik)
CR has some carbon pieces

Reasons to go one over the other?
Seems to basically come down to color preference really since the brakes/pieces
can be updated and changed to suit.
With the new '07 S's going for about 46K, they seem like the deal although
the '08 interior/sound deadening is attractive and was noticeable on a test drive.
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
First of all, great site and enthusiasts here after browsing for some time.
I'm deciding between the '07 Exige S, '08 Club Racer and '08 S 240.
Nice problem to have.
So I'm going to run down the differences I know of and would like to hear
anything I missed or should be made aware of.....Thanks!
My usage will be 60/40 street/track with about 25 track days / year.

Engine: Essentially all the same, (220v.240) especially since I'll do a Gotham265 which I think will make them identical.

Suspension: They all have the track pack so the adjustable Bilsteins and collars are the same I think.

Brakes: The CR/S240 have the advantage with the AP 4 piston fronts

Interior: The CR/S240 are supposed to have improved sound deadening and
have the black gauges/updated trim
CR has the Alcantara seating/trim and some carbon pieces.
All have harness bar/seat hoops for harness

Exterior: S240 has Cup scoop (which I've read makes a negligible difference afaik)
CR has some carbon pieces

Reasons to go one over the other?
Seems to basically come down to color preference really since the brakes/pieces
can be updated and changed to suit.
With the new '07 S's going for about 46K, they seem like the deal although
the '08 interior/sound deadening is attractive and was noticeable on a test drive.
Thanks for any info.
The performance difference between the S220 and Club Racer, as you describe them, would be negligable if they exist at all.

If you like the cosmetic bits in the CR, that's the primary difference.

Now, with 20 made, the Club Racer is one of the more common colors for Exige (comparing to their 2007 counterparts...there are few if any 08 S220's to compare to). And equipped the way they are, all identically from the factory, they are probably the least rare Exige S220. If exclusivity is of interest to you, of course. Sounds counterintuitive I know, but the Exige 220's were brought in in such low numbers that a run of 20 identical cars would make it among the most common examples of the car.

It really boils down to which car you prefer. I have an S220 and very happy with it. That said, if I could've gotten an S240 for just a few bucks more, I would've done so.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am not 100%, but I think the Club Racer has the Elise SC engine, not the 07 Exige S engine. Even though it's rated at the same power (or so), it has a smaller supercharger and no intercooler. This will limit the power potential, and you probably can't do the Gotham tune on it. Again, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
I am not 100%, but I think the Club Racer has the Elise SC engine, not the 07 Exige S engine. Even though it's rated at the same power (or so), it has a smaller supercharger and no intercooler. This will limit the power potential, and you probably can't do the Gotham tune on it. Again, I could be wrong.
Nope. Local LTer (Scrumpot) has a nice CR. His engine bay is identical to mine (or it was when it came from the factory). He has the same supercharger and intercooler that I do. He's actually added the RLS intercooler tubes to his car (along with some catch cans).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nope. Local LTer (Scrumpot) has a nice CR. His engine bay is identical to mine (or it was when it came from the factory). He has the same supercharger and intercooler that I do. He's actually added the RLS intercooler tubes to his car (along with some catch cans).
I am very glad I put my disclaimers and stand corrected. I think I might be thinking of the 08 non-240 Exiges. Or maybe I dreamt it:)

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
I am very glad I put my disclaimers and stand corrected. I think I might be thinking of the 08 non-240 Exiges. Or maybe I dreamt it:)
That's an open issue. Depending on what Lotus brochure you read, or what Lotus website you visit, the 08 S220's did or did not have an intercooler. Lotus' own information says both. I have their 2008 slick brochure detail all models that says no intercooler on the Exige S (220). The 2008 website said did have intercooler, and pix on the site showed an intercooler for that car. That website I believe is now down as it's two model years on.

Problem is, apparently no 08 S220's (other than the CR's) were brought into the US, so nobody can speak from first hand, seen-it-with-their-own-eyes assuredness.

The CR's are really more of a combo 07/08...has the 07 intercooler and supercharger, but has the 08 instrument cluster. Has the rear bumperettes (at least the local one does) but still has a bumper exemption sticker (even though the exemption supposedly expired in MY 07). Throw in the brakes from the S240, and the trim bits unique to the CR, as well as some trim and suspension from Lotus' option sheet available for any model, and it's something of a hybrid.

I believe one guy on here says he has an 08 S220 in Canada, and his car does have the intercooler. Supposedly the European 08's did have the intercooler and larger SC.

All part of the Lotus charm.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I don't believe there is any carbon fiber on the Club Racer. The stripe, black wing and scoops are gloss black.

I like the Club Racer. It has an interesting combination of features and uniqueness. It has some of the 240 pieces (launch control, adjustable slip, bigger brakes). Although there were 20 made identically, they are not common as referenced above. You could say the same thing about the Type 72, Jim Clark or Sport Elise. No matter what, it would be rare to see several together anywhere. The Club Racers not have sold well (there are still some brand new for sale out of those 20) but that is just supply demand and contemporary economics. Some seem to think the color is a little girly - eh, to each their own. It will be unique 20 years still down the road.

Having said that - the 240 has some quality control improvements that aren't always noticed on 07's. If that degree of detail is important, go with the most you can afford or else you may always have that "what if" feeling nagging at you.

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Although there were 20 made identically, they are not common as referenced above. You could say the same thing about the Type 72, Jim Clark or Sport Elise. No matter what, it would be rare to see several together anywhere. The Club Racers not have sold well (there are still some brand new for sale out of those 20) but that is just supply demand and contemporary economics. Some seem to think the color is a little girly - eh, to each their own. It will be unique 20 years still down the road.

Didn't say the CR is 'common' in an absolute sense. Just stating that in terms of pure numbers, it is one of the more common colors, and configured as they come from the factory, it is probably the most common, among a rare car to begin with, examples.

Indeed, similar could be said accurately for the Type 72, Sport Elise, Jim Clark, and California editions. That's the counterintuitive part. There are so few of the cars in general out there, that the odds of any two being identical are fairly slim. From that perspective, the 'special' editions wind up being among the more common.

It is a bit different between the CR and the Elise special editions, as there are far more Elise's in country than Exiges. Generally speaking, you generally see numbers quoted of about 250 06 Exiges brought in, about 300 07 Exige S's. The CR IS rare in that it is the only 08 S220 in country, but if you go to a car show, if you have a CR you are probably more likely to find a car identically configured like yours from the factory at the show than the other Exige owners.

It's still a long shot, though. Regardless of what Exige one owns, it's not likely to find the identical car at such a gathering.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Appreciate the responses.
According to the dealer and some digging, the '08 CR has the same MP62 charger
and intercooler as the S240. It also supposedly has the '08 dash/interior/trim improvements.
If I understand correctly, it's basically an S240 with the shorter scoop and a 220 ECU tune along with the alcantara etc.
Vishus, are you aware if the CR has the QC improvements for the '08's (since its an '08)?
It looks '08 on the inside which makes me think it does, but not sure.
I think the confusion comes from the shorter scoop and 220 tune causing thoughts of it being like an '07.
Afaik, it has all the '08 improvements, but would be curious to hear if anyone knows otherwise
Thanks

·
Registered
985 Posts
Club Racer is very cool and I would take over the 240 at the right price. I opted for an '07 as the price gap at the time was too great to make sense in moving forward with the Club Racer. The market has changed since then. The Club Racer is a very cool set up!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Vishus, are you aware if the CR has the QC improvements for the '08's (since its an '08)?
Yes it does - it has the newer canbus, dash, shift linkage, paint, etc.

BTW - Lotus did make the Club Racers blue color available at an extra cost as an option - but it wasn't in the catalog or well known - so I am only aware of two other examples of Exiges being this color outside the 20 Club Racers. One is in Europe - someone asked Lotus to build a 2006 or 2007 Exige this color and apparently it was so well liked, the Club Racer spun off from that build. The other is in Canada - a dealership specially ordered a 240 in that blue and have added black accents to look like the Club Racer externally. The interior is basic black Exige and it doesn't have some of the other bits - but the only one I know of.

Lotusforsale - I understand what you are saying, but if there are only 22 cars that color - it is still extraordinarily rare. I assure you there are more than 22 Canyon Red Exiges. But regardless, Yugos are rare too and that doesn't necessarily denote collectibility or value.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks, just uncovered one more question though.
Does the CR have the S240's upgraded clutch?
Was the old clutch much of an issue?

*whoops, just answered my own question, afaik the upgraded clutch
was linked to the LC/TC which the CR has therefore it has the upgraded clutch.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I would be curious to find out how the CR is supposedly 60lbs lighter then other Exige's. Outside of not having carpeting I cannot see where they would have lost the weight. When I was looking at them nobody seem to know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Club Racer does not have the upgraded clutch - it isn't need for 220. My 260 has a different flywheel than the 240 and it is very grippy. The regular clutch for a 220 should be just fine.
Thanks,
I'll have to check that though because all of the literature references the upgraded clutch
to the LC/TC which the CR has. I'll try to check today.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'd go for an '07 S - with a tune the rest is about the same and the brakes are more than adequate

Save the difference in $ for consumables (tires) b/c at 25 track days a year you're gonna need them

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Thanks,
I'll have to check that though because all of the literature references the upgraded clutch
to the LC/TC which the CR has. I'll try to check today.
Please let me know - I am 95% sure the Club Racer doesn't have the 240's clutch - the LC/TC is part of the ECU programming.

Also that is a myth about the weight savings - I am not aware Lotus has ever made any official statement to that regard. Early on, that was suggested in comparison to a comparibly equipped 240 and the thought that it would not have an intercooler - but that all was backed off of once the car was actually being manufactured for the US.

Here is a resource still up on Lotus's website - Lotus Cars USA: Lotus Club Racer - Limited Edition You can't always believe what is on Lotus's website since it is so poorly maintained - but note how none of these points are included as a feature. I find they tend to overstate features than understate them on the Lotus USA website. :shrug:

·
Registered
709 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.