The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Who can tell me or point me to a reference that outlines exactly what the mechanical differences are between the two cars?

Is the clutch identical or is the S240 an uprated clutch? I know about the AP's up front. Is all of the increased HP tuning (software/ECU) or are there a different
mechanical enhancements (throttle body, MAF, injectors, fuel pump, etc.)?

Thanks,

Henry
'07 Exige

·
He's on fire!
3,133 Posts
Maybe you can assemble the differences from all the replies. Off my memory

1. Slightly different tune and injectors to support 20+ HP rating (also possible to get this with 07 aftermarket tune)
2. AP 4pot brakes up front, no changes to rear caliper or brake master cylinder
3. Clutch delay valve, likely to support the HP increase with no other changes to the drivetrain.
4. Mohawk roof with wider front opening, but no changes downstream on the rear clam so likely near zero impact on how much air the IC sees.
5. CANbus delivers more information than the 07 ECU. I think you can get TPS and a few other things not avaialble on the old cars
6. I cannot remember, but I think this may have been the year traction control when from a button to a knob
7. Front wheels narrowed from 6.5" to 6.0"

·
* Acme Super Moderator * ** The Enforcer **
6,896 Posts
Maybe you can assemble the differences from all the replies. Off my memory

1. Slightly different tune and injectors to support 20+ HP rating (also possible to get this with 07 aftermarket tune)
2. AP 4pot brakes up front, no changes to rear caliper or brake master cylinder
3. Clutch delay valve, likely to support the HP increase with no other changes to the drivetrain.
4. Mohawk roof with wider front opening, but no changes downstream on the rear clam so likely near zero impact on how much air the IC sees.
5. CANbus delivers more information than the 07 ECU. I think you can get TPS and a few other things not avaialble on the old cars
6. I cannot remember, but I think this may have been the year traction control when from a button to a knob
7. Front wheels narrowed from 6.5" to 6.0"
I don't think the injectors are different, and the tune just opens the throttle body more. You are correct that this is easily changed by a tune, and the 260 just opened the throttle body even more. Variable traction control is correct on the 08 where the 07 is just on or off for TC.

San

·
He's on fire!
3,133 Posts
I don't think the injectors are different, and the tune just opens the throttle body more. You are correct that this is easily changed by a tune, and the 260 just opened the throttle body even more. Variable traction control is correct on the 08 where the 07 is just on or off for TC.

San
Seems different than what lotus says. Looks like I was wrong about the clutch being the same:

Introduction of 2008 Model

Year Elise/Exige: October 2007

VIN character 10 = 8. VIN serial number restarts at 0001. Exige N.A. built only to special order.

All cars now with dual airbags and start button in matt charcoal finish fascia. PFK 457 security system with Lotus design transmitter key. Tyre pressure monitoring for USA only. High rpm sequential tell tales. CAN bus diagnostics using laptop Lotus Techcentre. New paint colours. Performance

Pack option (VIN character 4 = W) with 240 hp calibration, high flow injectors, big roof scoop, uprated clutch, 4-piston front brake callipers and enlarged front discs, variable traction and launch control (excludes warranty).

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Yeah, the TC is way more usable on the S240. The brake pads are also different... and wayyyy grabby. They're terrible.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would assume that the CDV valve resides in the slave cylinder? And that it can be removed?
They are a horrible invention. Every BMW, Audi and WRX-STI I have owned has had them. Once removed the clutch engages normally and predictably.

@jds62f - Pack Option? is that like the track pack? and so the uprated clutch is only on this option?

Thanks for the help guys.

Henry

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
I think the only thing that you cannot get with an 07 is the variable traction control
Also the sensosoft interior is an acquired taste, if you will.

I would assume that the CDV valve resides in the slave cylinder? And that it can be removed?
They are a horrible invention. Every BMW, Audi and WRX-STI I have owned has had them. Once removed the clutch engages normally and predictably.

@jds62f - Pack Option? is that like the track pack? and so the uprated clutch is only on this option?

Henry

·
He's on fire!
3,133 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish with your questions?

·
Registered
54 Posts
All of the differences that @jds62f outlined above are differences between the '07 S and the later S240's. Some other minor details such as the 180mph speedo/black gauge cluster, Exige script on the seats of the '06 and '07 S whereas the S240's had no script on the seats but instead had it on the floor mats if equipped with the Touring Package as well.

@henrymfisher I believe the Pack Option is what it is called in UK to upgrade an Exige S to an S240.

Lastly, I believe @jds62f had mentioned to me in the past that the catalytic converters may be different. Or maybe that was between NA vs supercharged cars, not sure.

·
* Acme Super Moderator * ** The Enforcer **
6,896 Posts
Seems different than what lotus says. Looks like I was wrong about the clutch being the same:

Introduction of 2008 Model

Year Elise/Exige: October 2007

VIN character 10 = 8. VIN serial number restarts at 0001. Exige N.A. built only to special order.

All cars now with dual airbags and start button in matt charcoal finish fascia. PFK 457 security system with Lotus design transmitter key. Tyre pressure monitoring for USA only. High rpm sequential tell tales. CAN bus diagnostics using laptop Lotus Techcentre. New paint colours. Performance

Pack option (VIN character 4 = W) with 240 hp calibration, high flow injectors, big roof scoop, uprated clutch, 4-piston front brake callipers and enlarged front discs, variable traction and launch control (excludes warranty).
Took me some time to find it, but ironically, we had this discussion before and the injectors are the same for all the Exige SC models.

San

·
He's on fire!
3,133 Posts
Took me some time to find it, but ironically, we had this discussion before and the injectors are the same for all the Exige SC models.

San
This post made my day. Well done San!! :-D

·
Registered
2,114 Posts

-snip-

Henry
Yeah, it's a simple Toyota part. I think InoKinetic and/or Monkeywrench Racing used to sell a direct replacement part, iirc.
There might be a part number floating around if you google, and you could probably just order it from any Toyota dealership.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the reason for the inquiry is if you were shopping for an Exige ('07 Exige S or '08 S240 only for this comparison) and assuming they were optioned the same, super clean, low mileage examples and your budget allowed for the purchase of an '08 S240 stock (lets say $10K difference). Would you buy it vs. buying the S220 (for less money of course) and modding the S220 to S240 specs.

Are the few options on the S240 worth the extra dough (wide scoop roof, AP front calipers, black instrument cluster, traction control, uprated clutch). All of the engine differences can be easily matched with various BOE mods)

Thoughts???

Thanks,
Henry

·
He's on fire!
3,133 Posts
depends on what they're going to do with the car. They really aren't significantly different, but certain features may reverse that opinion for buyers.

If you're going to mod it a bunch, the lower base price always makes more sense
If you're interested in the 08 but don't have the budget, the cost of adding the features you really want from the 08 and your willingness to add them yourself is going to tell you if the 07 or the 08 makes more sense
If you care about having the highest resale on an OEM vehicle, the 08 will be more desirable

·
Registered
54 Posts
Everything that comes on the S240 can be incorporated into an earlier model year, with maybe the exception of the Variable Traction Control. And honestly I don't think the VTC matters unless you're a talented enough of a driver who drives at 9/10 or even 10/10, which I am not. It is an interesting piece of tech for the benefit of those who are hard core.

@jds62f am I right in that you had told me in the recent past that there is a difference between catalytic converters on various model year Exiges?

·
He's on fire!
3,133 Posts
Everything that comes on the S240 can be incorporated into an earlier model year, with maybe the exception of the Variable Traction Control. And honestly I don't think the VTC matters unless you're a talented enough of a driver who drives at 9/10 or even 10/10, which I am not. It is an interesting piece of tech for the benefit of those who are hard core.

@jds62f am I right in that you had told me in the recent past that there is a difference between catalytic converters on various model year Exiges?
Yes there is. Lotus had some tech note or something that said the catalytic converters were different starting in 08

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Entropy240 and jds62f and all other contributors to this thread - thanks much, I appreciate the input.

So I own an '07 S220 - I do all of my own work, unless something really serious happens!! I have done a fair amount of work thus far. I do ten to 12 DE track days per season

Some of my work has included full suspension (new Nitron adjustables, adjustable sway, powder coated all control arms and replaced with Blackwatch Racing poly bushings and adjustable ball joints), stainless brake lines, T3 steering arms, close ratio steering rack, powder coated all calipers and fully rebuilt them, ferrodo pads), engine mods include BOE headers, sport car Larini Club Sport, Bosch 550 injectors, Radium fuel rail, Radium coolant tank, 3.1" SC pulley, Monkey Wrench under pulleys, Moroso baffled oil pan).

The next step would be either a baffled fuel tank, bigger fuel pump and then the final step of BOE Torque 300 tune.

I love my car, I am not as in love with the Magnetic Blue, but I sacrificed color to find a super clean car with only 7000 miles (it has 12K now 20 months later). Would have preferred one of the bright colors or silver. But I am at the crossroads (well maybe past it!!) of heading further down the rabbit hole or buying an S240, yanking a bunch of my go fast parts off of the Exige and returning that car to stock in preparation for sale.

That's a lot of work, time and the big question is what am I really getting? I guess if I found an S240 in a color that I was really, really excited about then its worth it bearing in mind I would own two Exiges till the current one was ready for sale. I sure do love the full mohawk look.

Resale is not a driving factor and since I will hold onto the stock parts it could be addressed later if necessary.

Anyway, this is my quandry and hence my questions to start the thread. Thanks again.

Henry
'07 Exige S

1 - 20 of 24 Posts