The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to buy a new front clam for my 2005 Lotus Elise due to a racing incident. Because of the better aero characteristics, and class legality, I chose to get a new 2007 Exige front clam.

To my surprise, and against everything I've heard on Lotus Talk, the clam doesn't fit perfectly over the radiator surround. All of the factoring fastening points are lining up perfectly. As you can see in the picture, about 5/8" of the surround is still poking through the radiator opening.

For those that have done this swap, is this normal?

I did find this picture on How Tune of the radiator surround of a 2007 Lotus Exige (link below), and the surround looks just a little bit different.
https://howtune.com/articles/437-remove-the-front-clam-on-a-lotus-exige

This car is so far removed from stock I don't care how I need to make this work.

Safe to say, break out the dremel and start carefully cutting?

What are everyone's thoughts that have ran into a similar situation with this exact same front clamshell swap?

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
Does the elise radiator shroud support/affix the plastic vent things?

On th exige the mesh is glued to the clam.

·
Registered
282 Posts
unfortunately, Exige and Elise have different cutouts for the radiator leading to different radiator housing AND different radiator shrouds (elise has 2 shrouds, exige has 1 shroud)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Here is a pic of my 05 clam off recently. I pointed out a few things that may be causing the issue. Although I'm not 100%

*** Looking at the pics again I can clearly see that the Elise shroud is LONGER than the Exige!

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Look at the length, also how much radiator is covered.

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, guys thanks for the reply. It's very clear now that the shrouds are completely different. On the Elise, the clam slips past the "ledge" and is positioned over it. On the Exige, that methodology wasn't used.

Jigsaw with a Permagrit edge is going to be getting a workout. I wish I knew about this beforehand!

Reactions: Crazy05

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Wow, guys thanks for the reply. It's very clear now that the shrouds are completely different. On the Elise, the clam slips past the "ledge" and is positioned over it. On the Exige, that methodology wasn't used.

Jigsaw with a Permagrit edge is going to be getting a workout. I wish I knew about this beforehand!
Yup, I need to do the same but have some interruptions and not gotten around to it yet.

The plus side is that (theoretically at least) the trimmed shroud should have less drag and lift. More noticeably, it'll make removing the clam a billion times easier, haha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts