The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car for 8 months now and living 200 miles from my dealer has left this problem until my first service. I called my dealer to make him aware of the problem and see if he needed to order any parts before I got there and he hasn't heard of this problem before and neither has Lotus.

I can't seem to narrow down why or when this happens mostly...working nights helps a lil. I never notice the display screwed up on my way to work at night. But on my days off...maybe it's heat related...the LED's (if thats what they are) go haywire and I can't read a thing...most importantly gas level. Just today I washed the car in the morning and left it in the driveway till the afternoon and when I drove away the display was already messed up.

Anyone have any input or previous history? My dealer said Lotus didn't want to replace the dash cluster just yet cuz they are not sure if that's even the problem.

Thanx for any help!
John

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,408 Posts
Why has Lotus never heard of problems that many have? I often find that with really just about everything. Thank God for the Internet and Lotus Talk. Anyway, I got my car in Aug'08 and it does the same thing. It is heat related. The LCD screen is normal unless it is a hot day. I would say I saw it first just after 1000 miles. I figured I would ask them about it before my warranty runs out or whenever I need to go in for warranty service again.

Maybe it is why they have a "high res LCD screen" in the 2010s? I would not call ours "high res", but maybe that is what they call it.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Thanks for posting. Haven't had a hot day yet, but I appreciate knowing that this is a potential concern.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've had my '08 since March of last year. I've never seen this one before! :huh:

This does not look to me, like "the usual" cluster intermittent (freezing up, blanking out, etc.) issues that "re-booting" simply clears - and looks to me more like physical cluster DAMAGE. I'd definitely want that replaced.

Let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had this exact problem in my '05; it was definately heat related. The dealership ended up having to replace the cluster.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow that looks pretty nutty, luckily this happened while you still have your warranty. I'd get it fixed asap.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Wow that looks pretty nutty, luckily this happened while you still have your warranty. I'd get it fixed asap.
But it sounds like he is at a little bit of an impass since neither the dealer or Lotus are acknowledging the problem.

I am more concerned by the dealer/Lotus's response than I am about the actual issue. Despite the other posters acknowledgement of the same issue, I had not previously heard of this being more common - so I have to assume, based on that, it is not a common production issue and can be fixed. But then again, I am no expert on electrical issues. I do think it is good you have these pictures - for evidence. :evil:

BTW - 2010's dash is no different than 2008 or 2009. Same display.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
does look like overheating, i have a 2008 cluster on my bench and its 105F here, i'll run a few tests.

they're likely just making sure whats causing it before changing it out.

does it move around constantly or more fixed?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
mine only does it if the dash gets baked in thw sun... if I cover my dash when parked in sun it doesn't do it

·
$3(uR3 u$3r
437 Posts
I have an 08 also and the same thing happened - only when it got warm inside the car. Long story, but the result was to replace the cluster.

When I get time I will post full story...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
charliex- I'm not sure what you mean by it moving around...if you mean do the same pixels go dark all the time..then no...basically it looks totally screwed up in a different way each and every time.

I wouldn't say my dealer or Lotus are not acknowledging the problem...they just don't wanna do a cluster/dash replacement if they are not even sure what the problem is yet.

So far as full sun or shade...it was in the shade outside all day yesterday and when I got it..it was already fubar. This is Florida so temps would be on the higher side.

I'm sorry to say I'm glad to see some others have had the problem also. Sucks to be the loner with a problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Despite the other posters acknowledgement of the same issue, I had not previously heard of this being more common - so I have to assume, based on that, it is not a common production issue and can be fixed. But then again, I am no expert on electrical issues. I do think it is good you have these pictures - for evidence. :evil:

BTW - 2010's dash is no different than 2008 or 2009. Same display.
According to my dealer, they have had to replace two other clusters besides mine for this very same issue.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Man... this is disappointing to see. Ive steered away form pre 08 cars because of the dash issues. That's an expensive repair w/ no warranty. I figured Lotus moved to the new cluster because of the problems. So I was really hoping 08+ would be good! Seriously, how hard is it to get a working cluster?:sad:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
still waiting

Lotus of Jacksonville is still waiting to hear from Lotus on what they want to do about it. Lotus told them replacing the cluster would probably not fix the problem...so I sit here in limbo waiting for a call.

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,408 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I have an 07 Cluster if anyone wants to buy it.

Rob

·
Registered
995 Posts
These displays look different from the black & white LCD displays in my SPA dual gauges (which are more like the displays on a digital watch or travel clock). However, those SPA gauges were definitely subject to heat. On track days where my car was parked in the paddock area where the sun hit the gauges directly, when I started up the car the display was completely screwed up and unreadable. Throwing a towel over the gauges solved the problem completely. When covered from the sun, the displays functioned normally. When permitted to bake in the sun, they got screwed up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts