The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please explain why 08 Elise SC's 0-60 is 4.4 when 08 Exige S's 0-60 is 4.1?? They share same engine, same supercharger, same tires, and elise is lighter. Do they have different gear ratios?

Or did lotus have to put 08 exige S's time as 4.1 to make it look like it's at least as fast as 07 exige S?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
elise doesn't have an intercooler, boost levels might be different, and they do not share the same supercharger, tunes different. etc.

lots of reasons

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
not to be redundant, but he isnt referring to the exige S 240, which does have the intercooler and larger supercharger. I think he is referring to the exige S 220 hp, which like the elise SC has no intercooler and has the smaller SC

from the updated Lotus website:

Bearing the same engine and supercharger as the new Elise SC, the 2008 Lotus Exige S produces 218 HP and 156 lb ft of torque from a high revving 1.8 liter Toyota built 2ZZ engine.

from Wikipedia :)

The 2008 USA Exige S 220 will feature a non-intercooled supercharger identical to the Elise SC.The 2008 UK Exige S 220 AND The 2008 Exige S 240 will retain the intercooler for the supercharger.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
yah lotus still claims 4.1 for 220 and 4.0 for 240. What doesnt make sense is the difference between the 220 and the SC if they are using the same supercharger and non i/c setup.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
difference in tires, and lighter wheels are standard on the exige S 220 but not on the elise SC

·
Registered
788 Posts
Could it be that the SC has AD07 tires, and the Exige has A048's as standard equipment? The better launch from the stickier rubber could account for the 3/10ths of a second difference.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
who cares about 0-anything anyways with these cars :shrug:

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
so is the club racer...but I assumed the OP was referring to what we get in this country:shrug:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
yes, I was referring to 2008 US version exige S 220, not 240. And yes these cars are not 0-60 cars, but what's so wrong about speculating exactly what accounts for .3 sec in 0-60 when both cars share same engine, sc, and when elise is actually lighter. to each his own, but .3 sec in 0-60 is significant, and thus matters to me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
yes, I was referring to 2008 US version exige S 220, not 240. And yes these cars are not 0-60 cars, but what's so wrong about speculating exactly what accounts for .3 sec in 0-60 when both cars share same engine, sc, and when elise is actually lighter. to each his own, but .3 sec in 0-60 is significant, and thus matters to me.
To answer your question, the Exige s has the stickier A048's and it has launch control. That is enough to account for the .3 seconds. But in real life the Elise SC is faster than the exige s. There a .6 second turn around in favor of the Elise because it goes from being behind .3 seconds at 60mph to being ahead at 100mph .3 seconds faster than the Exige S. So .6 second turn around from 60-100mph means its quite faster. As you said, the elise sc is lighter.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If I remember right the Exige hits its max hp and torque at lower rpms then the non-intercooler Elise. The Elise hits its max hp at 8000rpm I think. Also I believe different super chargers.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
this is getting a bit confusing with all the different variants, im glad i have the 07 220 S WITH the I/C ... all i need is CharlieX's gotham 265 tune ... very soon!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To answer your question, the Exige s has the stickier A048's and it has launch control. That is enough to account for the .3 seconds. But in real life the Elise SC is faster than the exige s. There a .6 second turn around in favor of the Elise because it goes from being behind .3 seconds at 60mph to being ahead at 100mph .3 seconds faster than the Exige S. So .6 second turn around from 60-100mph means its quite faster. As you said, the elise sc is lighter.
Just what I was looking for! thanks!!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
who cares about 0-anything anyways with these cars :shrug:
True. If you're going to track the cars, 0 - 100 is a more important and a more telling number.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
^^Good point.

But... If you drag race, people pay lots of money to lose .3 seconds...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts