The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got this reported to the dealer, waiting for response.

One of the reasons I picked an '08 over an '07 last year was due to the "upgraded interior".

Compared to '07s, the '08 interior is more of a flat black compared to shinier black from previous years.

Well, I found out the hard way that all that means is that the '08s have been painted/coated to make them that way. Basically, they look like '07 and previous interior parts coated with trim paint or something.

My interior is peeling apart. The door sills, under the steering wheel, the upper dash all has flakes peeling off. I have <4k miles on the car.

The '09 interior replaced these peices with carbon fiber right?

The '10 interior I think is just like the '08s?

I will see what happens, but this is already very messy and is going to get worse. I hope something has changed so that I do not end up with the same problem again later... or I am given the option to replace with the carbon fiber parts.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
thats the sensosoft :p
mine is coming off a little bit where my butt rubs when i get in but thats it

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i'm not surprised - all the matte soft-touch surfaces in my turbobeetle have long since suffered similar fate, and i think it's an inevitable byproduct of long-term wear and tear to that sort of finish...the original hard plastic used to trim the 111 cars may have looked cheaper, but it was chosen for a reason...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I found it harder to get into a '08 because the door sills have a flat finish, and is much more grippier on my jeans than my '06 shiny smooth finish. I can slide right in with my '06.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just last weekend, I noticed a strange wear spot above the passenger airbag. Kindof looked like the dash was fading. I had been using 303 up until that point but it would not correct this particular problem, so I put some armor all on it and it went away.

I wonder if this is a sign of things to come. Keep us updated regarding how the dealer handles your situation.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Only the 260's for 2009 have the carbon fiber dash and trim - all others are just the same as your 08.

I have seen some 08's that have either been in the sun too long or used some kind of product actually turn that "sensisoft" into a awful brownish color. I don't think it will hold up well to Armor All and other similar products over time.

·
Registered
233 Posts
EricH - Have you been using any dash cleaning/protecting products?

If not, looks like the dash will not hold up over time regardless.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Eric if you are ok with just removing that paint from the car give me a call I can offer a suggestion of what to use.

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mhouston - nope, I have used nothing but a rag dampened with water to clean the interior.. it only has 4k miles so if it is this bad over time, it has not even been a full year!

Another comment I keep seeing... "the car must have been left in the sun too long". The car is garaged, but I live in TEXAS. Should I only drive at night? lol

TTZIP, thanks! After we see what happens sounds like this will be a good discussion item.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yea just let me know. This spray is fantastic. I have used it before years ago on a front bumper which I wanted to have repainted and instead of going through the effort of having to sand all of that down I was suggested by a friend to try this stuff out. It does no harm to plastic what so ever, but is almost no work to you at all. I don't remember the name, but I do know where to get it so it would not be a problem.

Simply spray it on all over the area of where the paint is and either go inside for 10 minutes or just stand there and watch as the paint shrivels up and comes right off of the plastic. After 10 minutes use a cotton cloth to wipe it all off. Any left over you simply spray that area again and repeat. It hardly takes any work and if you apply it equally it will come off in 1 spray. The can was only $8 or so. I should still have some extra left over, but I will have to look for it. If I can find it consider it yours. :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
hmmm... my car is parked in the garage also, it's has been since dec 07 and has about 5k miles. Haven't seen anything peel yet... whew... California is not as hot as TX though.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Eric - just curious though, did you order the car and take possession after delivery or could the car have sat at the dealer for a while - and if it was at the dealer for a while, was it indoor or outdoor?

I get that since you have owned it (not even a year yet) that your car has been garaged, but either it is simply a defective piece or something caused this. If it is the latter, perhaps we can identify the root cause by elimination.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't put Armor All extreme tire shine on the dash. :shrug: And the Armor All original protectant is based in water soluble silicone emulsions. Keywords "water soluble".

Regardless, the OP said he has used nothing but a wet rag to wipe down the interior.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
When I first saw that material on the door sill covers, I knew it was going to be trouble. That stuff looks good, feels good, but it is not durable.

Lotus is going to wind up replacing those panels on a lot of cars.

·
Registered
252 Posts
What is the formal answer from Lotus to this problem? How are they going to fix it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts