The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first post. Have been staying many nights up past my bed time reading up on info on this forum. Good stuff, good community.

Located in HK and receiving an aspen white 240, sport pack in june 08. Also own fully modified s2000, nsx, and 33gtr. Many reasons I decided to get a lotus, and one of them was to have a car out of box that was performance ready, one that I did not have to tinker with...

But old habits die hard and here I am on the quest for more power (before the car even arrives)... :nanner2:

I've read over the komotec/proalloy/RSL options. I must say it appears to come down to the latter two (for 240 at least).

My research comes to a standstill over following questions:

apart from injectors and ecu mapping, the S and 240 are the same engine wise. Charge cooler only mod doesn't raise peak power rather helps the car realize full potential.

I assume that 20hp increase is due to mapping and inj because IC and engine are identical between two models. I took a test drive in 240 but not the old S, what I've been told by the dealer and internet study is that the 240 mapping allows the power to come sooner when compared to the S.

So is it accurate to assume the advertised proalloy 20hp increase will be ontop of the 240 figure? I venture to guess the komotec/charlie/gotham ecu + injectors are similar to the standard units on 240 set up that they replace.

Waiting for numbers from RSL light weight stuff aqua setup. I like the fact that it's light, there's no need to cut hose holes, and air to air (as learned on from this forum) is superior to water to air when the car is moving fast enough. My only reservation here is our local weather and traffic. 30C plus ambient and high humidity + high instances of traffic in summer is of concern. Perhaps water to air is better in this specific circumstance but then again if heat dissapation is efficient enough on RSL, then wont be much of an issue once there's enough road to open up on.

My goal is to to achieve near 280hp with upgraded IC + manifold/cat back set up while retaining ease of standard set up reversion should 2 year warrantee be needed.

Done searches but not found info specific to 240. Please feel free to point me to correct link or chime in.

Thanks!

·
Registered
688 Posts
I do not think anyone has cracked the 240's ECU yet, and I don't think enough have been sold to make it worthwile. :sad: At least not yet. My understanding is that the new ECU will be diffucult to rewrite.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping to do bolt on parts such as free flow air cleaner + more efficient cooler + full exhaust (sport cat) and leave the ECU as is.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Even with the big scoop the air to air set up on these cars just doesn't work very well due to the way it is implimented. You are better off doing the proalloy approach to cooling with the power levels you are after. Front mount heat exchanger and a liquid cooled intercooler is the way to go. I would PM Charlie X, I am sure he has some tuning options for you car. I am running a Bemani Kit with Charlie's tuning and I am sure the the original tune was based on the Cup 255 software.

·
Registered
32 Posts
apart from injectors and ecu mapping, the S and 240 are the same engine wise. Charge cooler only mod doesn't raise peak power rather helps the car realize full potential.
i thought i read on here that the 08 S doesnt have an intercooler? and the hoodscoop wasnt really intended to be functional...?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can rewrite the 240's ecu.

your's was based on the NA exige , not the 255, davids was the older 240R.
How about the injectors, do the standard 240 units have enough capacity?

that's great news on tunability, but I'm in the camp that wants to retain use of the 2 year warrantee if needed. Which... would require me to have standard ecu in place when the car was returned to the dealer for claims. If this can be sorted, somehow perhaps a spare stock ECU, but heard these are pricey.

Other thing is, I live a tad far from you so remapping wouldn't be economical. I imagine the your ECU offereing is tuned realtime? Flying japanese tuners to HK, been there done that, its great but expensive and usually requires group involvement... there is a local shop that modifies most of the track lotus's that put in true hard track time, perhaps something can be worked out with the shop. They're offering the komotec now but would be better to add to the product line offering.

After the 2 year warrantee, its on like donkey kong. :coolnana:

·
Registered
71 Posts
You should check out TW Auto in HK. Not sure about their credibility and work, but they do some tuning for Lotus. Check out http://www.twauto.com.hk/

How about the injectors, do the standard 240 units have enough capacity?

that's great news on tunability, but I'm in the camp that wants to retain use of the 2 year warrantee if needed. Which... would require me to have standard ecu in place when the car was returned to the dealer for claims. If this can be sorted, somehow perhaps a spare stock ECU, but heard these are pricey.

Other thing is, I live a tad far from you so remapping wouldn't be economical. I imagine the your ECU offereing is tuned realtime? Flying japanese tuners to HK, been there done that, its great but expensive and usually requires group involvement... there is a local shop that modifies most of the track lotus's that put in true hard track time, perhaps something can be worked out with the shop. They're offering the komotec now but would be better to add to the product line offering.

After the 2 year warrantee, its on like donkey kong. :coolnana:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should check out TW Auto in HK. Not sure about their credibility and work, but they do some tuning for Lotus. Check out http://www.twauto.com.hk/
Thanks I have talked with tony. They have installed a couple komo-tecs, and are on offer for around 7k (parts only promotional offer) but these were done on S's. No one's really tweaked with the 240's. 6 sold in town, the other 5 are most likely to collectors so I'm a a loss for good info.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mag, did you order your s240 from richburg Addy? mine takes delivery later this month or early may. Good lucky with your passionate project!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mag, did you order your s240 from richburg Addy? mine takes delivery later this month or early may. Good lucky with your passionate project!
HEY! we have the same cars! cool. good choice.
yea i got mine through Addy/Max. Mine doesn't come until June however. Can't wait.

·
Registered
58 Posts
HEY! we have the same cars! cool. good choice.
yea i got mine through Addy/Max. Mine doesn't come until June however. Can't wait.
Yes I notice! we are pretty much going nuts after the same cars, believe it or not I have been looking into the NA1 (project car) market for quite a while in Vancouver. I figure the s240 is perfect right-outa-box sports car for my few years stay in hongkong. Where about do you live? im active in taipo area

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea I'm giving up on modifying japanese cars... partially anyways, which is why I got the exige. I'm living in Tuen Mun. We've got to get together sometime, PM me your details.

·
Registered
123 Posts
the local dealer (Richburg) is actually quite forgiving regarding to warrenty issues. I revved the engine to 9542rpm during a trackday session and they found out while logging onto the car's computer during a routine service, they asked me ever so politely to please not to repeat it again. :no:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha did they replace an engine and tell you that... or will they say i told you so if the unthinkable happens...

·
Registered
123 Posts
haha did they replace an engine and tell you that... or will they say i told you so if the unthinkable happens...

a british Lotus engineer flew over and reflashed my ecu with a newer software, the local brand manager managed to salvage my warrenty from the abyss....apparently the engine is quite strong and reliable:nanner: but kids, don't try this at home:p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts