The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finally received our second 08 Hardtop on Friday, after the first one was damaged in shipping. I removed the current hard top last night with no problems but I have some questions installing the new one. Before any asks, yes I’ve search all the posts I could find on the subject and read them :D. The round rubber gaskets along the front and back edges on the new top seem a lot thicker. It’s probably just that they haven’t been compressed yet. Because of this when I was trying to fit the new top on I couldn’t seem to get the top to “seat down” very well. Now I haven’t put any of the mounting hardware back in yet but I thought that it should set down better before I start with the hardware. I seems especially bad in the rear center by the intercooler intake. So I’m wonder how flush should I be able to get the top on first before tightening it down? Should I spray the gasket with soapy water so maybe it can slip into place better? I almost think I should get the rear edge inplace and bolted before doing the front?

Any thoughts and comments are much appreciated!

Jeff

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I remember reading here somewhere that another member was having a problem with a new hardtop gasket ordered for his car not being the correct size (whether too thick or thin I can't recall). So perhaps the gasket really is just too thick to fit well.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t know if the gaskets are too thick or just too new, never before compressed. I’ll have to compare the new to the old tonight. I would doubt if the design of the mating area on the front and rear of the car has changed from 07 to 08. I wonder what the assembly procedure at the factory is for the hard tops?

Jeff

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I don’t know if the gaskets are too thick or just too new, never before compressed. I’ll have to compare the new to the old tonight. I would doubt if the design of the mating area on the front and rear of the car has changed from 07 to 08. I wonder what the assembly procedure at the factory is for the hard tops?

Jeff
The rear gaskets are different on the '07 and '08 (Cup) roofs. The '07 roof has a straight rear gasket... it does not follow the contour of the mohawk. The clam has a gasket that follows the outline of the mohawk.

On the '08 roof, the rear gasket follows the contour of the mohawk... if you leave the gasket on the clam, you'll have to gaskets covering the same spot. I removed the gasket from the clam, and added a short piece of weatherstripping along the gap under the mailslot.

It's still a bit of a tight fit...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm sure the rear gasket on my new 08 top doesn't follow the mohawk, it goes straight "under it", but I'll check when I get home. :confused:

Jeff

The rear gaskets are different on the '07 and '08 (Cup) roofs. The '07 roof has a straight rear gasket... it does not follow the contour of the mohawk. The clam has a gasket that follows the outline of the mohawk.

On the '08 roof, the rear gasket follows the contour of the mohawk... if you leave the gasket on the clam, you'll have to gaskets covering the same spot. I removed the gasket from the clam, and added a short piece of weatherstripping along the gap under the mailslot.

It's still a bit of a tight fit...

·
Registered
774 Posts
I think your idea on a fine application of soapy water will probably do the trick. Also, having 1 person on each side, to gently wiggle, while applying gentle forward pressure (from the rear towards the windscreen) while the top is still angled (not yet touching at the rear), then SLOWLY applying your downward pressure, while maintaining the forward pressure simultaneously, should get it to slip flush into place.

Todd (Lotusforsale) swapped his top with an '08 mohawk style, so a PM in that direction might also be helpful I would presume, as well.

If it's just a matter of extra hands being needed too, let me know, and I'll be happy to swing by. Any excuse for a drive, dontcha know!

Edit to add - OOPS! ..I just noticed you were in MINNESOTA and not Maryland. So maybe scratch that last sentence above. ...Maybe. ;)
Cheers,
-Grant

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
And here's the new 08 Top
Hmm... different than mine...

Spray the rubber with some silicone gasket spray... fit the front gasket first, then while you're gradually tightening the rear bolts, make sure the gasket is not getting squeezed out. You can use a plastic spatula (or equiv) to help push the gasket down.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
It seems that the '08 gasket is quite a bit thicker than the '07. Can you remove the '07 gasket and attach it to the '08 top?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From my test fittings, it looks like it would be better to seat the rear first, then the front. I wonder if I could just do the rear and tighten it down as a test, with out breaking anything.

I'm out of time tonight to try, but should have time tomorrow night.

Thanks for all your help!!

Jeff

Hmm... different than mine...

Spray the rubber with some silicone gasket spray... fit the front gasket first, then while you're gradually tightening the rear bolts, make sure the gasket is not getting squeezed out. You can use a plastic spatula (or equiv) to help push the gasket down.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
It seems that the '08 gasket is quite a bit thicker than the '07. Can you remove the '07 gasket and attach it to the '08 top?
It shouldn't be that big of a problem... the gasket on my Cup roof is thicker too, but it seats fine... in fact less noise than the '07... which may be the reason for the thicker gasket.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
From my test fittings, it looks like it would be better to seat the rear first, then the front. I wonder if I could just do the rear and tighten it down as a test, with out breaking anything.

I'm out of time tonight to try, but should have time tomorrow night.

Thanks for all your help!!

Jeff
In my experience it's easier to put the roof in place by letting the front edge sit on the front windshield rain channel first... then slide it as far forward as possible (not too much force, of course), then allow the rear edge to fall in place on top of the rear rain channel. Then thread the front bolts, but don't quite make them snug. Then engage the rear brackets and thread the rear bolts, again until they're not quite snug. Then tighten down the front until snug (but not tight). Then little by little, tighten the rear bolts (possibly alternating from side to side) while checking the gasket to make sure it's fitting in the gap properly. Then tighten up all the bolts (but don't overtighten, of course).

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Much appreciated, I'll give it a try!

Jeff

In my experience it's easier to put the roof in place by letting the front edge sit on the front windshield rain channel first... then slide it as far forward as possible (not too much force, of course), then allow the rear edge to fall in place on top of the rear rain channel. Then thread the front bolts, but don't quite make them snug. Then engage the rear brackets and thread the rear bolts, again until they're not quite snug. Then tighten down the front until snug (but not tight). Then little by little, tighten the rear bolts (possibly alternating from side to side) while checking the gasket to make sure it's fitting in the gap properly. Then tighten up all the bolts (but don't overtighten, of course).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I love the agressive design of these roofs. Would love to put one on my NA '05 Exige just for the look of it. How much are they? Anyone having a part number? Do they come paited?
Suppose not much have changed between the '05 ' 06' '07 and '08s when it comes into "fit" and how everything is put together...

Exited about hearing how Jeff & Pamela get this settled at the end :) Please post a follow up when there are "news" :) :)

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
I love the agressive design of these roofs. Would love to put one on my NA '05 Exige just for the look of it. How much are they? Anyone having a part number? Do they come paited?
Suppose not much have changed between the '05 ' 06' '07 and '08s when it comes into "fit" and how everything is put together...

Exited about hearing how Jeff & Pamela get this settled at the end :) Please post a follow up when there are "news" :) :)
Take it you're not in the US (no 05 Exiges here).

In the US, a dealer quoted me, earlier this year, around $4K with all hardware and seals, painted for an OEM fiberglass cup roof.

I picked up a new carbon fiber mohawk, identical in shape to the OEM, for around $2100 with all seals and hardware, another $250 to paint it body color.

I believe Sector sells CF mohawk tops for around $2800.

Again, this is in the US.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Take it you're not in the US (no 05 Exiges here).

In the US, a dealer quoted me, earlier this year, around $4K with all hardware and seals, painted for an OEM fiberglass cup roof.

I picked up a new carbon fiber mohawk, identical in shape to the OEM, for around $2100 with all seals and hardware, another $250 to paint it body color.

I believe Sector sells CF mohawk tops for around $2800.

Again, this is in the US.
Price: $4k is too much. Than a $2800 CF one might be a good alternative.
Mohawk: Sounds like a great idea. Found it to $612 at Sector111. Anyone who have tried installing ? Just glued? Looks somewhat OEM?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts