The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh, there will be so many that will get caught off guard by this law. Yup I see the LASD, CHP & LAPD writing up a **** load of motorist on this one on the weekends and yet again cyclist will continue to run and blast through all of the stop signs and red light intersections in so.cal.

Beginning Sept. 16, motorists will be required to maintain a 3-foot buffer between themselves and bicyclists when they pass cyclists traveling in the same direction. If not enough space is available, the motorist must slow down and pass "when no danger is present to the bicyclist," according to the California Department of Motor Vehicles

However, several bicyclists said they aren't convinced all drivers are capable of identifying a 3-foot gap or understanding what's considered safe passage.
**** you..................

California law requires bicyclists to use roadways and obey all traffic rules, including stopping at red lights and traveling in the same direction as traffic. They are required to be on the right side of the roadway unless they are making a left turn.
LOL cyclist, "obey all traffic rules"

It also requires drivers to consider other factors, such as road conditions and weather, when determining the appropriate time to pass if not enough space is available for the 3-foot gap
nothing is better then vagueness in the law. :thwack:

A man wears a T-shirt warning car passengers to stay 3 feet away as bicyclists
rotfl

The new law isn't kicking in until September because the California Department of Motor Vehicles has to update handbooks and educate drivers on the law.
Nope, think the DMV needs to start by defining and enforcing the law with cyclists, and all of the safety items that have been removed from bikes to start with + they need to be registered/taxed and insured like a motorcycle.

·
Registered
959 Posts
True story: Driving up a mountain road this past weekend with some NorCal Lotus guys, I'm going 40 mph on a straight section where the speed limit is 40 mph and taking it extremely easy. The cyclist going the other way yells "slow down!" Too often, especially in NorCal, I feel cyclists conflate "share the road" with "own the road." I'm very nice to cyclists on mountain roads and will usually throttle off and go by at a slow speed (about 25 mph), but it seems some of them are offended at my very presence on their roads. SoCal tends to be better.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Cyclists are the god damn worse. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but if you're from the bay area, you know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm especially calling out the hipsters in SF.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
True story: Driving up a mountain road this past weekend with some NorCal Lotus guys, I'm going 40 mph on a straight section where the speed limit is 40 mph and taking it extremely easy. The cyclist going the other way yells "slow down!" Too often, especially in NorCal, I feel cyclists conflate "share the road" with "own the road." I'm very nice to cyclists on mountain roads and will usually throttle off and go by at a slow speed (about 25 mph), but it seems some of them are offended at my very presence on their roads. SoCal tends to be better.

What road were you on? I was on Palomares yesterday and there was a bunch of cyclist. I make sure I slow down when passing and don't buzz them with my exhaust. Yeah some are douchbags but so are some motorists. But I do know what you mean.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
cops here in san diego write plenty of tickets to cyclist that run stops. in general, most cyclist are pretty good about that as a result. id say... its fairly even with cars so far as tickets and offenders.

of course san diego also has "cyclist can use full lane" streets - so by law, cyclist can take the entire lane in those designated streets. that seems to have helped.

some drivers don't appreciate how to ride a bike safely - which is making yourself as visible as possible and not encouraging cars to try to pass with inches available...

by law (at least as interpreted here) a group need not all come to a complete stop - just the cyclist at the front end, and then group can roll through if its all one group.

here - id say motorcyclist are the worst, then cars and cyclist are about tied even.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Is there another law that says that cyclists can only engulf a 2' wide space on the side of the road?

Without fail, we see these cyclist tards riding 2-3 abreast. Apparently feeling the need to take about their coolest neon Pearl Izumi bro shorts!

Sorry Lance Armschlong - you are 180# guy on a 30# bike. You should be EXTRA cautious about your OWN safety. Driving two abreast with the left person into the lane is asking for your own life. All it takes is one distracted texting teenager and your life is over. Why take that chance. Ride in a single file line. That way, you'll be able to see more of your riding buddy's cool bro shorts.

·
Registered
959 Posts
What road were you on? I was on Palomares yesterday and there was a bunch of cyclist. I make sure I slow down when passing and don't buzz them with my exhaust. Yeah some are douchbags but so are some motorists. But I do know what you mean.
I was on Mt. Hamilton. I know Mt. Hamilton to be a hotbed of cyclists so I generally take it really easy going up and I only use it as a transit road to get to San Antonio Valley. If I could, I would skip Mt. Hamilton entirely. I've been driving mountain roads for a long time and one of the things I make sure to do is not to piss off the cyclists (slow down, throttle off, cross the double yellow to give them space to work with). It seemed to work well in SoCal, but NorCal cyclists are crazy and I really do get the feeling some of them hate me just for taking a car on the road. It doesn't seem to matter to them whether I'm acting nicely or not around them.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I was driving down the Boulder Highway here in Vegas today, and a cyclist was riding right on the white line.........We are suppose to give 3' as well but when they are almost in my lane, and they have well over 6' to ride in (bike lane) and I have cars next to me WTF am I supposed to do. And he flipped me off. I wanted to stop and b***h slap him. They need to know their place as well.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
We have a similar law in Colorado. I dont mind the law, I usually give them MUCH more than 3ft separation.

What lights my fuse is when I give them 3+ft separation and then at the next traffic signal/stop sign they will split lanes (not legal in Colorado) to get in front of me, giving me much less than 3ft separation, just to make me pass them again on the other side of the intersection.

I am sure you have seen this, but here is Top Gears safety warning spot for bicyclists

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
When I was young I rode a bike on the road a lot. Did all sorts of perilous things back then. Now that I have more responsibility I'd never dream of it. I like my bones and brains pretty much as they are.

That said, I still respect them when ever I can. And the pitiful moped riders too. If I see a cyclist or moped coming my way in other lane, followed by someone in position to pass them, I move over to the right as much as I can to give the car driver more room to move to his left and give the cyclist more room. Basic sharing the road.

And then there are the idiots in cars that are fearful to put two wheels over a double yellow to safely pass and instead follow the bike on and on. When I rode I wanted a car to come around me as soon as possible, in case they were an indecisive boob, a danger to me. These are the same people who slam on brakes when they see an ambulance all ablaze with flashing lights coming the other way on a 5 lane highway. But I digress....

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was on Mt. Hamilton. I know Mt. Hamilton to be a hotbed of cyclists so I generally take it really easy going up and I only use it as a transit road to get to San Antonio Valley. If I could, I would skip Mt. Hamilton entirely. I've been driving mountain roads for a long time and one of the things I make sure to do is not to piss off the cyclists (slow down, throttle off, cross the double yellow to give them space to work with). It seemed to work well in SoCal, but NorCal cyclists are crazy and I really do get the feeling some of them hate me just for taking a car on the road. It doesn't seem to matter to them whether I'm acting nicely or not around them.

Just ignore them, its not worth the legal bull**** that comes with some hot head who is pumped up with roids or meth. seen way to many throw down matches with cyclists walkup to a group of guys and gals on the side of the road and start talking some really big time garbage. Cyclists take way to many drugs.

As much anyone would like throw down. just not worth it as nice we all have been cordial and polite it's never enough for the cyclists. :facepalm

I have seen sport bike motorcyclists get frustrated with cyclists and even once smack one in the back in the head for taking up the road. :thwack:

no one deserves that but pick a place where its wide and not ride 3 wide on a narror mtn pass.

Just do me a favor make it a point to let everyone know about this new bull**** law that starts the 16th
What lights my fuse is when I give them 3+ft separation and then at the next traffic signal/stop sign they will split lanes (not legal in Colorado) to get in front of me.

+1, cant tell you how many times I have had this happen, and or when a motorcycle rider can't ride for worth a crap on the next set of corners in front of you. I think the worst lane splitters are Harley's. I just pull over and stop. Harley's that are ****ed up and burning oil really bad make for a ****ty day when your stuck behind one on a mtn rd.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
360Tom said:
Going down the road feeling bad

June 12, 2014 § 128 Comments

I belong to a listserv called “CABO,” the California Association of Bicycling Organizations. It is an amazing place, where traffic engineers argue with one another about whether bikes should be in the road or shunted off to the side in bike lanes, cycle tracks, hamster wheels, etc.

It was from CABO that I first learned about riding in the middle of the lane. I tried it out on Del Amo eastbound between Prospect and Hawthorne one day and it scared the crap out of me. However, it scared the crap out of me less than being shoved up against the nonexistent shoulder and having close-passing pickups shave me by inches.

The thing I learned is that no matter how pissed off my presence made the cagers who had to slow down behind me, they always changed lanes and passed. I’ve never been hit from behind or even had brakes squeal from a rear-approaching vehicle.

Eventually I tried it on Hawthorne. Same thing. The occasional honk or middle finger, lots of (presumably) pissed off people slowing down, changing lanes and then passing, but that’s pretty much it. Riding my bike and hogging the lane was better than scrunching up against the edge and having people pass me within a few feet or a few inches.

Taking it to the next level

After getting comfortable with riding in the lane on local streets I took this method to PCH. I did it with a group of 8 or 10 riders, and I have done it several times since then. The results were unsurprising (to me). We got a few honks but people slowed, passed in the other lane, and left us alone.

I have used these experiences as the basis for encouraging people to get out in the lane on PCH.

Then yesterday I found myself in a new situation. I was on PCH with just one other person, Jay. I suggested we ride in the lane and he looked at me like I was crazy. “Okay,” he said. “But I’m fine in the gutter.”

And he is. As one of the most skilled off-road and on-road bike handlers I know, he’s not the least bit fazed by rocks, glass, chugholes, car doors, trash cans, the ends of surfboards, Cher, etc.

What I found during this little experiment was amazing, and a lot of it was bad. Whereas a medium-to-large sized group attracts little motorist hostility, two riders taking up the lane evokes the Wrath of the Cagers. We rode from Temescal Canyon to Decker Lane, averaging 15 or 16 mph, and we were met with an endless stream of honks, shouts, middle fingers, and plain old-fashioned road rage.

I was tenser after the first five minutes than I’ve ever been in any bike race. This was as to nothing when we hit Pepperdine Hill after Cross Creek. Still taking the lane, we climbed at a very slow speed, perhaps 10 mph or less. With 30 or 40 drivers backed up behind us, I fully expected to be run over.

Cars came raging by us in the next lane after having had to slow to a crawl on the hill, and they revved their engines, honked, flipped us off, screamed, and were livid. Of course the point is that they all slowed and passed, but the other point is this: how much fun is a bike ride when you feel like everyone wants to kill you?

Answer: no fun at all.

When the weird turn pro

On the return ride it was pretty much the same until we reached Cross Creek. I told Jay that I was done, I couldn’t take any more of the honking and screaming, so we rode for about two miles in the gutter up against the long line of cars parked at Malibu. What’s weird is that as awful as the lane had been, the gutter was now worse by orders of magnitude.

Despite the cager rage, I have become so accustomed to the smooth, wonderful riding surface of the lane, where you have better visibility, no obstacles, and lots of room to maneuver, that getting back in the gutter is intensely stressful. The other amazing thing about riding in the lane is that you ride side by side and get to talk. So we got back in the lane and started to take advantage of a good tailwind and flat road. Averaging 22 or 23, with sustained segments of 25-27 mph seemed to result in much less cager rage and not a single honk.

And here is where the CABO advocates have their work cut out for them: if it’s this hairball for a pair of riders who can carry a steady speed over the course of a 100-mile ride, what would the experience be like for an elderly traffic engineer pedaling up Pepperdine Hill at 4 or 5 mph? I’m not easily cowed or intimidated, but the unending torrent of honks and curses was unnerving, to put it mildly, and it didn’t seem like the rage abated until we were cruising in the mid-20’s and up.

In other words, it’s really easy to advocate lane control and vehicular cycling on PCH, but after my experience there’s no way I’d recommend that the average cyclist take the lane on PCH solo. Unless of course you want to!

How educational was it?

For the drivers, I’m convinced it was very educational, although also rage-inducing. One woman roared by us honking and flipping us off, then pulled over about 1/4 mile ahead to talk on the phone. We passed her, and after she finished talking she came by again.

This second time she didn’t honk or rev her engine. She expected us to be there and acted accordingly. I think she was educated by our behavior.

Another educational encounter was less prosaic. At the light past Latigo a sow in an SUV put down her window. “Why don’t you get out of the road?” she asked.

“Because we have the legal right to be here,” I answered.

“Yeah, but it’s really dangerous.”

“Only if you don’t know how to use your brakes and change lanes,” I said.

“It’s DANGEROUS!!!” she screamed, roaring off at the green light. There were several cars backed up behind us and behind her. Several of them honked and gave the middle finger salute.

Still, the implication is that only by getting more and more people in the lane will PCH drivers come to expect us to be there and make accommodations, maybe even to the sluggard dragging ass up Pepperdine Hill at 4 mph. There’s no way to know for sure, but I think a lot of the anger was because people simply didn’t expect us to be there.

What this means in practical terms is that if vehicular cycling advocates really want to make a difference, at least on PCH, they need to get off their keyboards and out in the traffic, preferably in ones or twos. It is hairy and will scare the crapcakes out of you but there’s no other way to acclimate cagers to the presence of single riders in the lane on PCH.

We’ll be out there again this morning, although with a larger group. My sphincter’s already clenched.

END

———————————.

Going down the road feeling bad | Cycling in the South Bay

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don't understand all the drama. Is it so hard to give a cyclist a few feet of room? If they want the whole lane, give it to them. What good does it do to get all pissed at them? They're not in your way for very long. So what if you are delayed 8 seconds.

Sure, some cyclists ride where you may think sane people shouldn't ride. I know people who jump out of perfectly good airplanes and think that's certifiable. To each his own.

Share the road. It's not like it belongs only to you.

"Ooooh! They're two abreast! I'm really mad now!" Just go around them. It's not like they're going to speed up so you can't pass them.

(Why is a guy on a bicycle a "cyclist" while a guy on a motorcycle is a "biker"?)

·
Registered
959 Posts
I don't understand all the drama. Is it so hard to give a cyclist a few feet of room? If they want the whole lane, give it to them. What good does it do to get all pissed at them? They're not in your way for very long. So what if you are delayed 8 seconds.

Sure, some cyclists ride where you may think sane people shouldn't ride. I know people who jump out of perfectly good airplanes and think that's certifiable. To each his own.

Share the road. It's not like it belongs only to you.

"Ooooh! They're two abreast! I'm really mad now!" Just go around them. It's not like they're going to speed up so you can't pass them.

(Why is a guy on a bicycle a "cyclist" while a guy on a motorcycle is a "biker"?)
At least for me, it's not that they're taking up space. Take up the entire lane if they wish, I always go over the double yellow to pass them anyway. My beef with them is that they seem to be genuinely offended at my presence on mountain roads. They'll be angry with you for driving a car or for daring to go above 20 mph. If I'm okay with them going 10 mph, they should be okay with me driving on the road, as long as I don't put them in danger.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I bike alot and I try very hard to stay out of the way of cars. people are bad drivers these day. cell phones, texting, Nav systems. A few blocks from my house a guy was killed by a driver. When the cops showed up at her house she said she did remember running over the person.

I my self was alot most run over and when i followed him to his house close by he was looked drunk and I confronted him his wife pushed him in the house

I think both sides should try to have as respect

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I sympathize more with cyclist than drivers. I have encountered 1000:1 ****ty drivers than I have cyclist. In fact, my day is not complete without someone doing some stupid **** on my 2 hour ride to and from work every day. Maybe it's just bay area drivers.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bike alot and I try very hard to stay out of the way of cars. people are bad drivers these day. cell phones, texting, Nav systems. A few blocks from my house a guy was killed by a driver. When the cops showed up at her house she said she did remember running over the person.

I my self was alot most run over and when i followed him to his house close by he was looked drunk and I confronted him his wife pushed him in the house

I think both sides should try to have as respect
I don't think all of the stoned people that are hitting the Colorado roads helps any, but this is a Cali subject and not a Colorado subject. Cyclists in Colorado can ride baked and lay on the road as a speed bump for all I care about.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Just found out my friends' 29 years old son was riding bicycle this past friday night when a car hit and killed him - devastating. No further info.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts