The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Friends,

I'm getting close to my 1,000 mile service mark and wondering if I really need to take to an authorized Lotus service center. When I had my 2010 Elise and my 2011 Evora, I was close to a Lotus service center and had the "break-in" service done at the service center, but now the closest one is a little ways away.

I believe the service is just an oil and filter change, right? Any warranty issues if I simply do on my own?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I just had the 1,000 mile service done about 2 weeks ago. It involves a basic look over of the cover and a full synthetic oil change. as for the liability of having someone else do it other than an authorized lotus dealer, i don't know

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Hey Friends,

I'm getting close to my 1,000 mile service mark and wondering if I really need to take to an authorized Lotus service center. When I had my 2010 Elise and my 2011 Evora, I was close to a Lotus service center and had the "break-in" service done at the service center, but now the closest one is a little ways away.

I believe the service is just an oil and filter change, right? Any warranty issues if I simply do on my own?

Thanks.
I believe they also do a data dump from the ECU which may be required for your warranty.
That being said, I did my own first oil change and do most of my own work. I'm no mechanic, but this forum is a great resource.
Unfortunately my dealer service is pretty poor, most times I come back with more problems then I started. They do not give loaners and are not prompt with the work they do.
If you have a good dealer that will perform the service at a reasonable price (under $300 or free) I say go ahead, but if your dealer is "less than great" do it yourself. I think my first DIY oil change cost me under $70 and an hour of my time. I think the $70 included cost of after oil change beer.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read through the warranty booklet and the owners manual and I don't see anything that says service is required by a certified Lotus Service Center. It just says service is required at given intervals.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The service does not have to be performed by a Lotus dealer. I called my local Toyota dealer and asked them if they could change the oil since it is a Toyota engine, I also explained they'd have to pull the bottom pan to access the engine and it would take more oil because of the front oil cooler, they said NO PROBLEM. That said, I am going to have my first service performed by the Lotus dealer (200 miles away) because I also have some warranty issues, but for later oil changes I will be taking it to the Toyota or Chevrolet dealer to have the oil changed. My previous Z06 Corvette also required the bottom pan to be removed before they could access the engine to change the oil, it also required draining the oil from two separate drains because it was a dry sump system, so the Evora should not be a problem for them.

Does anybody use Toyota oil filters rather than a Lotus filters that are much more expensive? I'm sure Lotus just stamps their name on Toyota filters? ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I had my 2011 Evora, I simply ran down to the Local Autozone and picked-up a Bosch Premium Oil Filter for my oil changes.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The service does not have to be performed by a Lotus dealer. I called my local Toyota dealer and asked them if they could change the oil since it is a Toyota engine, I also explained they'd have to pull the bottom pan to access the engine and it would take more oil because of the front oil cooler, they said NO PROBLEM. That said, I am going to have my first service performed by the Lotus dealer (200 miles away) because I also have some warranty issues, but for later oil changes I will be taking it to the Toyota or Chevrolet dealer to have the oil changed. My previous Z06 Corvette also required the bottom pan to be removed before they could access the engine to change the oil, it also required draining the oil from two separate drains because it was a dry sump system, so the Evora should not be a problem for them.

Does anybody use Toyota oil filters rather than a Lotus filters that are much more expensive? I'm sure Lotus just stamps their name on Toyota filters? ;)
Oil cooler does not drain on routine oil change ;).

·
Registered
184 Posts

Lots of guys here use Toyota filters. I picks up a TRD filter for $14 on Amazon.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yep, thanks Julian. $14.67 at Amazon with free shipping through Amazon Prime. Gotta love the cost of Mobil1 synthetic oil jugs at Wal-Mart too!

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
You spent How much to buy this car......? And you are whinging over the first inspection? Perhaps you should have purchased a less expensive automobile.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
You spent How much to buy this car......? And you are whinging over the first inspection? Perhaps you should have purchased a less expensive automobile.
I would not say he is whining.
$400 for a oil change is flat out robbery ( I know, that's cheap by supercar standards ). Nothing exotic that requires special tools here. Just because someone likes nice things does not mean you can rape him for it.
Many dealers are great, but there are some (will not mention names) that just do not measure up.
I was unwilling to hand my expensive car over to my expensive Lotus Service Tech, because I believed he was incompetent and had been treated poorly on previous visits for minor warranty work and left with more problems after the service :mad: . For $400 I expect to be treated very well, not like I'm at JuffyLube. :thwack:
learning more about your car is important. "Whining " over poor or overpriced service is just called capitalism. Don't do a good job or price it to high, I will do it myself or go somewhere else.
Most of us have gotten to where we are able to afford a Lotus because we did not needlessly waste money.

I apologize for the rant. :shrug:
disclaimer"
My dealer service experience may not represent the general dealer service of Lotus USA and it subsidiary. rotfl

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Chhirowolf.

Not "whining" at all WestCoast. I've owned three new Lotus' since December of 2010. The first two were when I lived close to a dealer at which I had the break-in service performed.

Now I no longer have a dealer that is close and with my travel schedule it would be difficult to find time to make the trip.

I also had a relatively bad experience with the first of the three cars when several of the bolts that hold the pan to the bottom of the car were cross threaded...I immediately new why as he used an air gun to put them back on.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In regards to the Mobile 1 oil...are we talking about the 5W 40 labeled for diesel trucks ??

Thanks!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Probably. The Rotella that many on here swear by is marketed as a diesel oil.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
In regards to the Mobile 1 oil...are we talking about the 5W 40 labeled for diesel trucks ??

Thanks!
Most 5W-40 say for Turbo diesels and may have a extra additive in them specific for trucks ( not sure how that effect our cars ) but I believe Mobile one has a label that says "For use with petrol engines" too. Im pretty sure that is what I used. Will check the bottle at lunch to confirm :up:

Sorry just checked, I used Castrol Edge an has a label that say "safe for gasoline engines"

Castrol edge.jpg

·
Registered
220 Posts
the difference in diesel/truck oil over standard oil is it is very high in detergent additives.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts