The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am # 7 in line and placed my order in the beginning of January.

Does anyone know if the dealers will be getting all 10 cars at once?

Lets say out of the approx. 380 orders that went in 100 want color A, and that only 10 people want color B. Will the people that order color A get their cars first? How many cars can be painted the same color on the line before they have to add more paint or switch to a different color. Will they spray one color one day, another the next, and so on, or is it more economical to do a weeks worth of one color, and then switch to a different color the following week, etc.

How will the shipping work? I read that they are going to send the dealers their demo cars first, but since the dealers are ordering their own color choice for the demos, wont they have to wait for them all to be painted, instead of just making a batch of 38 similar cars and shipping them?

I also wonder how many cars will be shipped at one time. Lets say they make 50 cars a week. Will they ship them out once a week, or wait until they have a specific number of cars made up, or is it based upon a cutoff timebased upon specific dates that the shipping company has for their boats to leave?

·
Registered
394 Posts
To cut back on delovery costs I was told by a few dealers that they were told to expect the first 10 cars including the demo all at once. Consider this, the cars are coming by truck, usually a dealership can have a full loaded truck come from the port with a few different models, with the elise it is only going to be the elise. So I would assume they are going to fill up that truck as full as they can to cut down on shipping costs of the cars.

PS, the dealer talk was a while ago so things might have changed by know..

ADamP

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Adam P said:
To cut back on delovery costs I was told by a few dealers that they were told to expect the first 10 cars including the demo all at once. Consider this, the cars are coming by truck, usually a dealership can have a full loaded truck come from the port with a few different models, with the elise it is only going to be the elise. So I would assume they are going to fill up that truck as full as they can to cut down on shipping costs of the cars.

PS, the dealer talk was a while ago so things might have changed by know..

ADamP

Adam,

I also heard the same that the first batch would be all 10 cars at once. After that I have no idea how they are coming?

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
963 Posts
hermanslotus said:
Adam,

I also heard the same that the first batch would be all 10 cars at once. After that I have no idea how they are coming?

Best Wishes,
Mitch
From what I heard, the demo car will come to the dealer in the first batch of cars. This "batch" may not be 10 cars for each dealer, it's whatever that dealer's allotment of cars is, be it 5, 6, 7, or whatever amount of cars that is. No necessarily 10 cars for all dealers.

·
Registered
637 Posts
how many elises can you fit on an big truck? (am thinking of ramp clearance as much as nything here...)

Craigy

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't think an enclosed tranporter can haul more than eight cars at a time. I also don't see Lotus holding up a truck at the port to fill it with cars going to the same dalership, they'll get shipped as they come.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Trucking is relatively a fixed cost, so I'm sure they will fill up trucks completely. Depending on how and where vehicle prep is done, trucks maybe fully loaded but drop so many cars at one dealer and so many at another. Unfortunately for us only time will tell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts