The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I track my '05 Elise every couple months and otherwise daily drive running R888s and recently started reading through the "toe link failure" threads. I think I've decided on the BOE solution but not sure if I should get the 1/2 link or full link kit. It seems like the 1/2 link solution would be fine. Any reason I should or shouldn't go with the full set? The price difference doesn't seem much but if I really don't need them I'll go without.

I will do the install myself but will have a shop do the alignment. Can/should this be done by the dealer (opposed to an alignment shop)? Anything special to consider when getting this done?

TIA,

Dewar

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Be aware some toe-link kits require you drill the A-Arm bushings to a larger diameter. If this makes you uncomfortable, pick a different kit. The larger hole accommodates a larger (stronger) bolt.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Why not got with the OEM Lotus fix? A120D0040F

If your bolts are not bent, then no alignment will be necessary.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Why not got with the OEM Lotus fix? A120D0040F

If your bolts are not bent, then no alignment will be necessary.
Was this on a TSB?

What I'm getting at is it legal in SCCA Solo Stock/Street categories...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't seem to find much information on the Lotus fix. I found the part here. The price sure seems great and not needing to align is even better. Is this an acceptable solution for my application?

·
He's on fire!
3,345 Posts
ANY solution, even the lotus one, is going to require an alignment. Even the smallest changes at the rear toe links have a big affect on alignment. For the lotus solution you'll need more than jus tthe brace, you'll need different inner toe links, and longer bolts.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Seconded that the Lotus solution will absolutely require an alignment, although with any toe link solution you can get close to the original by measuring the toe link length before and after installation.

Attached is the parts diagram featuring the A120D0040F part - it's #39 in the diagram.

For that solution you also need quite a few more parts - 2x a longer bolt (45), 2x the threaded adjuster for the brace (44), the end brackets(43) , a spherical joint (46), jam nuts (47, 48), and a spacer (42).

Because you're replacing the joint with a spherical one and a longer bolt, you'll disturb the original toe link ends and will absolutely need an alignment as with any toe link replacement.

By the time you're done you might as well go with an aftermarket solution.

The OEM Lotus solution was on a "TSB" - "See Service Bulletin 2005/04 - 240R + aftersales." The TSB isn't for a stock fix though but rather a service update for an options package a new model, so I'm not sure it'll fly in autocross classing.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts