The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just driving the Elise down the road and while stopped at a light the woman next to me asked if it was a V8.

I then started to think how much fun I had telling her that it was a 1.8L 4 cylinder.

Wouldn't be fun to have a chrome badge on the back like this?

Don't get me wrong I have no intention of doing anything of the sort but it is fun to think about it:)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
people balk when you say its a four cylinder.

On the way home from Atlanta I was in TN getting fuel and some guys stopped to ask what kind of motor was in it. When I said 4 cylinder they said "oh how cute". If I had said V8 they would have said badass. Not that I care mind you.

People have all sorts of funny comments and notions about this car.

The other day I had a guy over to install a wrought iron gate...he walked past the garage and said "wow, those are nice corvettes".
Uh..yeah. :)

Then yesterday I had a treadmill delivered and I had the garage door up. The guy said, "oh cool, kit cars". I said NO, its a Lotus. He said, yeah, those are really cool kit cars. I said NO, its a LOTUS. He said " yeah Ive always liked their kit cars.

He wasnt being malicous either. Just ignorant.

I gave up.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Patricko said:
I was just driving the Elise down the road and while stopped at a light the woman next to me asked if it was a V8.

I then started to think how much fun I had telling her that it was a 1.8L 4 cylinder.

Wouldn't be fun to have a chrome badge on the back like this?

Don't get me wrong I have no intention of doing anything of the sort but it is fun to think about it:)
It would look cool with OFL's VTEC! :D

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
drrjv said:
Friend asked me if I had a V12!

He appeared unimpressed when I told him it was a 4 cylinder!

Who cares - I love the care just as it is :p :p :p :p
LOL! how the hell is a V12 going to fit in there!

As for those guys in TN as OFL was fueling, they'll know what cute is when they get their ass whooped by it. :up: What were those guys driving anyway a 1970s POS GMC truck?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
shay2nak said:
LOL! how the hell is a V12 going to fit in there!

As for those guys in TN as OFL was fueling, they'll know what cute is when they get their ass whooped by it. :up: What were those guys driving anyway a 1970s POS GMC truck?
Amen Brotha!

And yes rotfl they were driving a FORD pick up truck.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I pulled into a shopping center the other day and a cop in one of the DARE Police Camaros was patrolling around the lot started following me and pulled up behind me when I parked.

He asked how much the car cost and was surprised that it was similar in price to the BMW series. He also originally thought it had an 8 cylinder. When I said it only had a 4 cylinder he asked me "How fast does it go?" I told him about 140. I know the top speed on the cop cars is 150, and so is the Elises, so I didnt want him to give him a complex and have him think that he wouldnt be able to catch up with me.:D

And mentioning v12s- I was at Moroso a few weeks ago and a guy with a Lamborghini Countach pulled up in front of me to park and was having overheating problems. He opened the rear deck to pour some water in, and the engine in there looked to be about half the size of my car!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
some guy at work asked me if it was faster than his "Five-O." I looked at him and said, "well it's pretty quick."

him: "I heard it's a small car. It's all about power to weight ratio anyway, right?"

me: "power to weight - exactly! The elise has a power to weight ratio of 10.2, what about your Mustang?"

him: "Uh, I don't know."

me: "well I think the Elise is faster..." smirk

unless he has some crazy motor in his Mustang I think I gave him fact. Of course I couldn't go on to explain how the Elise is about so much more than pure acceleration and numbers because it would probably be lost on him."

no offense to anyone who may own one, but the Mustang is a piece of cra_ if I may say so. Sure it has a strong motor, but the rest of the car from the ground up is junk. The car is put together like a kit car and people think our Elise is a kit car?!? Try driving a Mustang around for a few thousand miles. Squeaks, rattles, interior trim falling apart/off, clunky transmissions, clunky suspension, "no feel" steering and brakes; it makes you wonder how Ford can sell as many of these as they do!

I hope I don't start sounding like a Lotus snob, and I know the Elise cost twice as much as a Mustang, but there are plenty of other cars at the Mustang price point that I'd much rather have than the Ford.

And that's how I really feel about the Ford Mustang. :p

disclaimer: I haven't driven the 2005 model yet...

·
Banned
270 Posts
Pulled into Foodland here in Kihei last week, look in my mirror, and there's a cop, blue lights on, right behind me. I get out of the car, and he asks me, "You going be here for a while bruddah?" I told him sure, just going into the store to pick up some things. Come back out some 10 minutes later, now three cop cars, 5 cops, and a bunch of tourists. The first cop, I know his family, asks what kind of car is it. Lotus. I ask him, "You want to have a seat?". He says yes, gives his belt and all that crap to a fellow officer, and just barely gets into the car. I'm 6 foot, 160 lbs, the cop is a little taller, and probably 50 lbs heavier, but much younger than me. Anyway, he literally had to crawl out of the car on his hands, thought I would have to take off the hardtop for a moment or two. Great fun!

Aloha,
Thomas Praetzel

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
xxxotic said:
And mentioning v12s- I was at Moroso a few weeks ago and a guy with a Lamborghini Countach pulled up in front of me to park and was having overheating problems. He opened the rear deck to pour some water in, and the engine in there looked to be about half the size of my car!
Yup...definitely huge. Though this pic is of a Diablo engine bay...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
If I were to go FI with mine as a couple on here are I would get one of the 1.8T Sport badges from Audi to stick on the back. Like this but w/out the A4 bit, obviously:

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
raggedy1 said:

no offense to anyone who may own one, but the Mustang is a piece of cra_ if I may say so. Sure it has a strong motor, but the rest of the car from the ground up is junk. The car is put together like a kit car and people think our Elise is a kit car?!? Try driving a Mustang around for a few thousand miles. Squeaks, rattles, interior trim falling apart/off, clunky transmissions, clunky suspension, "no feel" steering and brakes; it makes you wonder how Ford can sell as many of these as they do!

HAHAHA. You take a look at my '67 289 V8 (with 70,000 miles on it!), and take a ride in that, and you might change your mind about ford mustangs :)

Oh. wait. its exactly as you described.

-=cixel

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
cixelsyd said:
HAHAHA. You take a look at my '67 289 V8 (with 70,000 miles on it!), and take a ride in that, and you might change your mind about ford mustangs :)

Oh. wait. its exactly as you described.

-=cixel
well i should have reserved my experiences and distaste for the 1979 through 2004 cars. Of course the mid 70's Mustang II was a total joke too.

Your 67 is in a different league than the model years I just qualified.

·
Registered
256 Posts
raggedy1 said:
me: "power to weight - exactly! The elise has a power to weight ratio of 10.2, what about your Mustang?"
Wouldn't 10.2 be the weight to power ratio, or is it one of those things where everyone calls it the power to weight ratio but they give the calculation in terms of weight/HP? I would love 10.2HP/lb in the Elise. That would be a specific output of about 11191.67HP/L.

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
OneFastLotus said:
Amen Brotha!

And yes rotfl they were driving a FORD pick up truck.
LOL! Ford truck was my 1st choice, but since it's in TN I thought maybe they'd have an older truck.:shrug:

Balance said:
Wouldn't 10.2 be the weight to power ratio, or is it one of those things where everyone calls it the power to weight ratio but they give the calculation in terms of weight/HP? I would love 10.2HP/lb in the Elise. That would be a specific output of about 11191.67HP/L.
It's the thought that counts! :p

babak said:
Remember this...nice tidy 3L V8

I've heard of this car, but never seen one.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Balance said:
yes, you know what i meant.
smart ass! :p

you are right though. it should be "weight to power"

·
Registered
256 Posts
raggedy1 said:
yes, you know what i meant.
smart ass! :p

you are right though. it should be "weight to power"
Raggedy,

I'm just jealous because you already have your Elise and I still have about a 2 week wait-to-power.

Ohh, that was lame. :p

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.