The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are photos of my AO48 rears. They are just starting to lose the tread. Can anyone tell me how much I have left on them? Should I change them now? I never drive in rain. The fronts still look new.

Also, should I have Overseas Motors in Dallas change them out? Anyone know the cost there? I want to make sure the rims don't get damaged. Anyone know who else in the DFW area could do it without damage? I'm in the Denton area.

left rear 2.jpg

right rear 2.jpg

THANKS!!

Ben

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
It's time for new tires. The top photo shows you're down to the wear bars in the middle and very close to the wear bars closer to the edge. You might be able to a few hundred more miles out of them, but you'll notice a big difference when driving on new tires.

Try running at slightly lower pressure on the next set.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
those are done. get a new set of 4 if your fronts have 10K miles also.
you dont want to have a car that sticks in the rear, and is on banana skins :sad:eek:n the front.
you wont like what happens when you turn the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
me+048s+10,000 miles= 5 sets rear 3sets front. you need to get to the track..carl

·
Registered
506 Posts
10k miles? How in heck? I only got 2500 miles out of my first set....

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
He must have a 1000 mile long driveway, and he's driven out and back to check his mailbox five times.

xtn

·
Registered
344 Posts
Time for new rears, at least.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I had some 10k mile A048's. There is a thread about it here already. I changed out to 4 new R888s in stock sizes. Along with an alignment and some shim removals by Rob Dietsch, my car handles better than it ever did new.

See - http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/a048s-10k-miles-54351/

You're missing out on the handling with 10k miles A048's. Get rid of em NOW!!
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
10,000 miles on A048's? What's left is nothing because by then you would've already had a blow out from a corded tire resulting in a spin and getting slammed into by a 18 wheeler that pushed you into the ditch where the car caught fire and burned to the ground.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I "corded" a set in a couple of laps of Road America... they started out looking like these.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Also corded a set. Makes for a very nervous drive to the tire shop when you don't have a spare.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Looks like the right one is over inflated.. or its just me?? (the center has more wear then the rest of the tire)

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I have 9k street miles and 3 auto-x's on my AO48s right now, talk about no grip on the last autox

Need to replace them asap but been out of town

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I checked the tires once a week and they were always at the correct pressure. Even now they are fine. I'm not sure why the right rear looks like it was over inflated.

I just got off the phone with Overseas Motors and they can put on a new set for $1250.00. I'm not going to drive it until they get them in. They have the rears but not the fronts, but should have them in in the next few days.

Good deal? Bad? Can I do better? I always have qball's car in the back of my mind.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I paid slightly over that for my 4 AD07's (damn I miss the 48's!!!). Sounds like a reasonable price.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Toyo R888 might be cheaper and might be better. You might ask CodyMac about his experience with them. That might be my opinion.

xtn

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,045 Posts
Do the r888's last longer than the a048's under street driving conditions?
What r888 tire sizes are recommended for rac monolites F:7" R:8" rim width?

·
Registered
182 Posts
hhhhmmmmm.

My AD07's look as bad as these at 6500.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts