The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, my dealer emailed me (and about 9 others) who were in the second group. Said he had already sent in the orders for the first group and needed us to make our decisions soon as orders would be going in for us soon.

He also commented on my frustration w/ picking colors w/o seeing actual samples. He said Lotus is making a copy of the models from the show to ship to them. Hopefully they'll arrive before my color choice has to be finalized.

No info on dealer options - just the main colors/packages in this order.

Just thought i'd pass this along.

Robert

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Too late for the first group. Good thing this car looks good in most colors:D

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I called my dealer ,who was happy to take my info to expedite things for when Lotus asks for the next batch of orders (rumor has it in Feb)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I e-mailed them a couple of weeks ago, and got a short response saying that I would probably be in the second allocation (around #20), and they would call me "soon". I should call them one of these days, and ask how things are standing. Considering that the orders for the first allocation haven't even been completed at all dealers, I'm not worried yet.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I talked to my dealer a week or so ago about my place in line. He wanted to make sure that I knew what was going on and that they are trying to make sure that I get my car soon enough that I can get it home before next winter. (A big consideration for me :D ). While he didn't finalize my order he did take down what I wanted LRG with Biscuit touring package. No hard top or LSS. And the dealer options. Chip protection and lower front sill guards. So all he should have to do when the next batch of orders is due is give me a call to finalize it, since that is when my deposit becomes non-refundable. Like I'd back out of getting this car :cool: .

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
:eek: You guys are up next... Any day now the phone could be ringing for you to place your order... Do you know what you're getting?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yes, I'm fairly sure. I wanted yellow from the first time I saw pictures of the car, and I think I'm just going to stick with it. Having a less common color does have some appeal, but eventually I need to get what I like most. I still have some hope for real color samples, but that might not hapen in time.

I have my mind set on LSS, too. I think the people saying that it will ride harsh are just pansies! :p ;) No other options. Might consider some of the dealer options (like the protective film), but I assume that I can decide on those later.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Yellow for me as well, although sometimes I still think maybe I should have gone with red.

Hardtop, touring but no LSS. I am not afraid of a harsh ride. I just think the LSS tires, besides wearing quickly, are not supposed to like standing water - although I don't plan on driving much in the rain, I don't want to have to worry that I am going to end up heading backwards off the road if I get caught on wet roads... call me a wuss but I figure I can always get the LSS or aftermarket upgrades later.... I do love the LSS wheels though....

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Same thing I order last month but being #11 they soon discover there mistake. :eek: Yellow, touring and LSS. Though I'll admit the idea of going in another direction(non-sports car) has been creeping in the last few days.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
LarryB said:
Same thing I order last month but being #11 they soon discover there mistake. :eek: Yellow, touring and LSS. Though I'll admit the idea of going in another direct (non-sports car) has been creeping in the last few days.
Hang in there. The wait is almost over for you! I'll be lucky to be at the end of the third batch (#36) and I'll forsake all for my Elise.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
ConeFusion said:
I have my mind set on LSS, too. I think the people saying that it will ride harsh are just pansies! :p ;)
Do you think your LSS car will handle better on the street than a non-LSS car? Probably not. The LSS is clearly setup for a smooth race track not street use. As many have pointed out in the past the purpose of the suspension setup is to allow the tires to stay in contact with the driving surface. I would bet you would be at a disadvantage on the street with LSS. Kinda like bring a knife to a gun fight ;)

So it’s really about where you plan to drive the car most often. For me that's the street.
:)

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
NMRJock- Problem is, I enjoy cars, wish I could afford to own 4-5 at the same time. I'll be second guessing until I take delivery. Regardless of what it's going to be. Yes it's a addiction... ;) :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
I placed my deposit with Classic Automobiles in NY back in late October. My salesman asked for my order on Jan 10th. He said I am number 17 on their list so I was bit surprised he wanted it so early. Since I already knew what I wanted I was happy to let him take my order ;)
I got the LSS because I wanted something that would be good for autox right out of the box. As it is, I dont usually mind riding in a stiff car, but if for some reason it is just way to stiff for the street I can always buy a set of adjustable shocks later on if need be. It will not be my daily driver, even in the nice wether, so a harsh ride is not as much of a problem for me as it may be for others.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
z06fun said:
I placed my deposit with Classic Automobiles in NY back in late October. My salesman asked for my order on Jan 10th. He said I am number 17 on their list so I was bit surprised he wanted it so early. Since I already knew what I wanted I was happy to let him take my order ;)
I got the LSS because I wanted something that would be good for autox right out of the box. As it is, I dont usually mind riding in a stiff car, but if for some reason it is just way to stiff for the street I can always buy a set of adjustable shocks later on if need be. It will not be my daily driver, even in the nice wether, so a harsh ride is not as much of a problem for me as it may be for others.
So does that mean that your dealer actually sent the order off to Hethel already or did he just write down your order? I would consider a finalized order being a submitted order to Hethel.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Derek said:
Do you think your LSS car will handle better on the street than a non-LSS car?
Basically yes, but I don't think it will matter. You can feel subtle improvements during normal driving when you stiffen up a car, like better steering response. But the main effect is when you push the car to the limit. And IMHO, pushing a car to its limit on a public street is insane, especially if it has this kind of performance potential.

For me the Elise will be a weekend and autocross car. I expect to run at least 25 autocross events this season, some of them being two day events. If I keep enjoying it, I'll do the same in future years, when I start transitioning to the Elise. Otherwise, I don't expect to drive it a whole lot, and certainly only in nice weather. I don't plan to make it a trailer queen, though!

So for my use, I think the LSS is the right choice.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
ConeFusion said:
Basically yes, but I don't think it will matter. You can feel subtle improvements during normal driving when you stiffen up a car, like better steering response. But the main effect is when you push the car to the limit. And IMHO, pushing a car to its limit on a public street is insane, especially if it has this kind of performance potential.

For me the Elise will be a weekend and autocross car. I expect to run at least 25 autocross events this season, some of them being two day events. If I keep enjoying it, I'll do the same in future years, when I start transitioning to the Elise. Otherwise, I don't expect to drive it a whole lot, and certainly only in nice weather. I don't plan to make it a trailer queen, though!

So for my use, I think the LSS is the right choice.
My point is simply that going with the normal setup does not make someone a pansy, provided they have chosen it for the right reason.

Think of it this way:

Street use = Street/standard setup is the best choice.

Track use = LSS/track setup is the best choice.

Neither choice makes someone a pansy.

PS: Unless your roads are near perfect there is no way the LSS setup is better and will handle better for regular street use (and I'm not talking ride quality). I won't get into details, I have not the time; perhaps someone with spare time can explain why a suspension tuned for street use makes more sense on the street.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Derek said:
Neither choice makes someone a pansy.
Now, don't get so serious about my remark! I put two smilies there, how many more does it take to indicate that it was a joke?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Huggybear - When my dealer called me to place my order during the first week of January I was kinda surprised, knowing that I was in the high teens on their list. I asked him when he needed it by and he told me he really wanted to have it by EOB the next day (Jan 10th) so I would imagine he needed to send it to some one at Lotus. But I guess its hard to know if the order is really in at Hethel yet. Maybe one of our Lotus reps on here could chime in on the process in general.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts