The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Turbocharged vehicles are quickly becoming the answer to having a fuel-efficient vehicle, with exciting performance. They seem to all be geared towards the sensible enthusiast, offering sporty dynamics, while still getting solid fuel efficiency.

Here’s some of the upcoming turbo-charged vehicles you can expect in the next few years. We’ve got some spy-pictures, and concept designs, even though some details of these cars are still unknown.

10. Buick Verano Turbo
Buick has already seen some success with its Regal Turbo and GS. Now with the 2013 Verano Turbo, the GM premium brand is adding some sport to its efficient compact premium model with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that delivers 250-hp and 260 lb-ft of torque.

Helping to make this even more enjoyable is an available six-speed manual transmission, while the car also gets a dual exhaust setup, sports pedals and a rear spoiler.

The Verano Turbo looks like a solid way for Buick to reel in younger buyers and enthusiasts to the brand. It also helps broaden the range of vehicles Buick is offering. Expect the Verano Turbo to be available in late 2012.
See the other nine at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I know it's 'enthusiast' blasphemy, but I just can't get excited about WRXs.

Maybe an M3 (too commonplace?), but I wouldn't see myself as ever buying any one of those cars.

The Buick? Yawn.

The Mini GP looks very interesting. Looks fun.

To me the new turbo that looks the most interesting/intriquing is the Hyundai Veloster one.

·
Registered
239 Posts
There are some cars here likely to pretty good. But the title should actually read, "10 cars that we think will be a little better than their competition while still clearly having been designed by a committee and to a price."

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
not bad

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
There are some cars here likely to pretty good. But the title should actually read, "10 cars that we think will be a little better than their competition while still clearly having been designed by a committee and to a price."

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Right - that about sums it up.

Interestingly, my antique Esprit makes great use of Turbo-charging. It aint some new thing. :)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Granted the article is in English but China cares a lot about Buick.

And FWIW, I follow them and I actually like the Regal. I'm 28, but then again I generally (although admittedly not always) look past the badge and at the car. ;) They need to come out with a modern day GN!

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
Not good! :)

The one I keep coming back to is the 'Buick Verano'

Seriously, does ANYONE care about Buick. My mother in law has an Enclave. She's 72.

'Nuff said.
for a reasonably priced, comfortable daily driver, whats so bad about it?
anyone can say "its bad." tell us why.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Because it's a Buick and the average age of a Buick driver is about 381! :)

There are tons of reasonably priced daily drivers from American, European and Asian manufacturers. We could probably list at least a dozen now - Accord, Camry, Sonata, Optima, Taurus, Passatt, Jetta, etc.

To me, a brand like Audi is on hot fire. Everything they are doing is just great - they are on a roll. Buick to me, is just blah.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
Because it's a Buick and the average age of a Buick driver is about 381! :)

There are tons of reasonably priced daily drivers from American, European and Asian manufacturers. We could probably list at least a dozen now - Accord, Camry, Sonata, Optima, Taurus, Passatt, Jetta, etc.

To me, a brand like Audi is on hot fire. Everything they are doing is just great - they are on a roll. Buick to me, is just blah.
ok, so you dont like it based on perception, and i believe comparing it to a brand of car that is considerably more expensive isnt really fair. (im not gonna look up prices)
accord, camry, sonata, etc..... wow. i cant think of blander cars. good cars yes, but as far as bland they have no equal. gee, the audis are much nicer than those cars too.
the passat is a nice car. the jetta not so much. i have the TDI model because i wanted 45mpg, but they cheapened it down from previous models and styling is also very bland.
i think if it was a japanese car or something you would probably like it a whole lot more.
:)
dont get me wrong, im not running out to buy one, i just commented "not bad" and ill stand by that for what the car is.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
ok, so you dont like it based on perception, and i believe comparing it to a brand of car that is considerably more expensive isnt really fair. (im not gonna look up prices)
accord, camry, sonata, etc..... wow. i cant think of blander cars. good cars yes, but as far as bland they have no equal. gee, the audis are much nicer than those cars too.
the passat is a nice car. the jetta not so much. i have the TDI model because i wanted 45mpg, but they cheapened it down from previous models and styling is also very bland.
i think if it was a japanese car or something you would probably like it a whole lot more.
:)
dont get me wrong, im not running out to buy one, i just commented "not bad" and ill stand by that for what the car is.
Nah, I just think the Buick brand is sooo blah. If Scions are for teenagers, then Buicks are for old folks. I would also say Chrysler is very blah too.

As for Japanese, not really. i've owned everything and don't have a particular affinity to any one nation's cars. I think certain companies are doing really cool things now - Audi, Hyundai, Kia. And others are blah - Chrysler, Buick, Honda. Yes Honda. They haven't come out with an exciting new car in years. They need to get their mojo back.

I still think the most interesting turbo coming around is the Hyundai Veloster - I'd never buy one, but it reminds me of my CRX Si in college. Looks like a fun little car and the turbo version probably ups the fun!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Because it's one of those brands people wouldn't care or notice if it just disappeared.... maybe except in China.
I hear GM sells more Buicks in China than in the States.:shrug:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Don't knock buick, just like people used to knock hyndai, now they all flock to it. If the verano turbo is under $30k with most options, I would totally get it.
A nice blend between luxury and speed

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
Nah, I just think the Buick brand is sooo blah. If Scions are for teenagers, then Buicks are for old folks. I would also say Chrysler is very blah too.

As for Japanese, not really. i've owned everything and don't have a particular affinity to any one nation's cars. I think certain companies are doing really cool things now - Audi, Hyundai, Kia. And others are blah - Chrysler, Buick, Honda. Yes Honda. They haven't come out with an exciting new car in years. They need to get their mojo back.

I still think the most interesting turbo coming around is the Hyundai Veloster - I'd never buy one, but it reminds me of my CRX Si in college. Looks like a fun little car and the turbo version probably ups the fun!
perception?
ok, but i didnt comment on the brand, i commented on a particular car.
im not trying to talk you into anything, youre just very opinionated on cars (etc) and i enjoy hearing what you have to say.

p.s.....plus i figured id help you get your post count quota for the week. :)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
To me the new turbo that looks the most interesting/intriquing is the Hyundai Veloster one.
Just a couple weeks ago I was thinking, man, that would make an awsome hot hatch, and then I saw an ad in my newest Car & Driver for a turbo version. 200HP...not much, but certainly a good start :clap:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Just a couple weeks ago I was thinking, man, that would make an awsome hot hatch, and then I saw an ad in my newest Car & Driver for a turbo version. 200HP...not much, but certainly a good start :clap:
Exactly, its quick enough for a DD, around 38mpg, panoramic sun roof, and just sporty enough. Plus its got some nice features for the price range.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts