The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new here and I just got my wife an '11 White Evora that we absolutely love. She's thrilled with the car, and despite the numerous little "bugs" that we've had to work out since she got it, its just a blast to drive.

The car has right under 3000 miles on it right now and there is a reoccurring issue that I just ignored the first few times as new car gremlins. When decelerating from any gear, pushing the clutch in when coming to a stop occasionally causes the engine to just die.

No weird noises, or jumping rpms, or anything that seems strange, the rpms just fall like they should and I assume it would stop at idle, and instead it just goes to zero and the car turns off. A quick turn of the key restarts the motor as if nothing happened.

The only condition that I can see being the same every time is that the car does this in the morning maybe 4-5 minutes after cold start. Usually only once as well. After its been restarted, then we're good.

The car has a Radium CAI on it and otherwise completely stock. Any suggestions would be great, as my service advisor is kinda stumped because of the inability to reproduce it on demand.

Thanks guys!:eek:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have the exact same thing on my 2011 Elise. Don't know what it is, only happens occasionally. I just restart and pretend it never happened.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally would probably do the same as you, but this is my wife's DD and it worries me that the car unexpectedly shuts off...

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Check your air mass flow sensor. Also one thing i Always do after messing with the intake is to reset your ECU and let it learn the new intake flow. You can just disconnect the battery overnight and plug it in the morning. Turn on the car and let it sit idle for about 5 minutes before you drive. It usually runs a bit rough in the beginning and then it will run perfect.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum leak!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Something is causing your car to run lean. Next time watch your tach when you stomp on the clutch. When you stall out, if you ssee the idle drop below 500 just before, you might have a vacuum leak somewhere. check or vacuum lines and ports.. maybe one of them were not capped when you or someone installed the CAI.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Recheck all the vacuum lines from CAI install

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I'll take tomorrow afternoon to check all the vacuum lines around the CAI install. The car came with the intake on it so I'm not sure how it was done.

I tried the reset the ECU thing today and it stalled out on me again this morning.

I appreciate the help, you guys are quick!

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
you have to use the Scan 3 OBD tool to really reset it. The dealer will have this.

·
Registered
268 Posts
When decelerating from any gear, pushing the clutch in when coming to a stop occasionally causes the engine to just die.
Had the same problem on my Evora twice. Both times it was the clutch position sensor. My theory is that the software thinks that the clutch is *not* pushed and so turns off the engine before it would be stalled by low speed. In both situations, replacing the clutch position sensor cured the problem.
Sometimes, but not always a clutch position sensor related error code is stored in the car's memory.

The clutch position sensor is a GM part built into Vauxhall/Opel Astra. GM has a better version of it now in stock (costs about 15$ and can be replaced by yourself) because they know the old one is prone to problems. The old part has caused problems with the cruise control in the Astra.

If you want to I can try to get the GM part numbers for you.
However you should first clarify if it's the same cause in your car.
You can tell it by that it will not happen when you push the clutch and at the same time or before put the gear stick into neutral position.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
The clutch sensor, which is mounted under the dash has a second issue, which i actually even easier to fix. The sensor finger is actually just held by a bent metal fork, which may slip of the end of the finger. My service tech just bent the fork so that it securly holds the finger. Haven't had another problem since.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@tbd_Evora & dmpriso. Thanks for the additional clues, I'll forward this thread to my service advisor.

I checked all the connections around the intake install and all seems to be fine. A reset of the ECU triggered the relearn for the intake flow, but I don't know if that will fix it.

The clutch position sensor might be a clue, thanks again gentlemen!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE:
The gals at Newport European Service have been wonderful to me. Here's an update on the car.

1) Car hasn't stalled in the last 5 days or so since I got the car back from service.
2) Car ECU was completely reset using Scan3 OBD Tool and intake relearn completed
3) Checked for vacuum leaks and idle vaccuum is within spec
4) Tech found a very dirty O2 sensor, so that was cleaned
5) Clutch sensor checked and found to be fine

Fingers crossed that the car avoids any more stalling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've experienced this happen twice too. Both times on colder days, I have aftermarket exhaust with the silencer deleted. On both occasions it happens in sport mode when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Uh, yeah. I think stalls are typically resolved with an ECU update despite all the he man do-it-yourself solutions posted on these forums every time the topic comes up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts