The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone in the Austin area know where 110 race gas can be obtained?
I am assuming leaded as I am asking for someone else.
Best to make it general as in race gas period.

Al B.

·
Registered
274 Posts
pretty sure these guys carry it...

Austin Performance & Specialty
10716 N Lamar Blvd Ste A
Austin, TX 78753-3073
Phone: (512) 832-5566

they are grumpy, old school drag racers and if they don't feel like answering the phone they won't. keep calling or just go by in person.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If you find some, let me know how much you paid. I'm paying $10/gallon at Alamo Performance.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
What's it going in? Can Av gas 100LL be used instead? It's a lot cheaper. VP fuels is located in San Antonio. The Texas VP distributor is Edge located in Seguin. VP is more expensive than Sunoco 110 standard purple.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Somebody asked me if I knew of a place in Austin for 110 leaded. That's all I have. Gave them the above info and the rest is up to them.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Al, here's a source in South Austin for race fuel. I don't know what octane choices specifically, but I know they had several when I stopped by a couple months back:

AutoTek, Inc.
Paul White, Parts Manager
4313 Gillis St.
Austin, TX 78745
(512) 326-3881

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Also, if you aren't forced induction and running significant boost then you won't have any gains from it.

Actually, if you aren't using a fuel computer to compensate for the changing of the a/f ratio, then you can actually lose power.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Also, if you aren't forced induction and running significant boost then you won't have any gains from it.

Actually, if you aren't using a fuel computer to compensate for the changing of the a/f ratio, then you can actually lose power.
Maybe the guy that asked for it knows what he needs. I use 110 leaded gas all the time but I don't put it in my Lotus.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
slower burn, less likely to preignite/detonate, but faster burning fuel is usually better. So long as it doesn't detonate.

Not sure but supposedly AvGas's octane is measured at altitude, not sea level, i have no idea if this is really true or makes much of a difference, i'ver head that 110+ av gas is equivalent to high 90 race gas.

It may also have additives in it, de-icer. The distillation curve of av gas is the same as race fuel though. Pump gas gets oxygenated so sometimes av gas is better quality.

ROCKETT BRAND RACING FUEL

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Charlie,

Whenever there is a discussion of using AvGas in race cars, someone will always come up and say it shouldn't be used because it was formulated for different conditions. All I know is there are a lot of SCCA Club racers using it with no problems. They use it to reduce their fuel bills and it passes the SCCA dielectric test. Some tracks charge up to $11/gal for leaded race gas and if you have access to AvGas it's a lot cheaper. It's a lot harder to get since 9/11 because it's much harder to get to the airport fueling areas now. Most airports are gated and restricted now. A number of race engine builders endorse using AGas in their engines. When you get a dyno sheet for a Jay Ivey race engine it was run with AvGas.

So, really when one is asked for race gas one should ask, "what's it going in?" before jumping to conclusions about suitability (such as reducing O2 senor life, won't make any more power, blah, blah, blah) which is what I asked.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Yeah thats why i put that link in there, they have lots of FAQ's and the guy who runs rockett is the ex sunoco racing fuel guy

The only thing i know for sure is that it burns slower, which helps to prevent pre ignition and detonation but that is not necessarily a good thing, the octane should be matched to the tune.

Its something to learn about , but i can find 10 different opinions from guys that ought to know.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Here is my take on using 100LL Avgas in a car. I have no experience using it in a race car or a boosted engine, but it sure works great in my old air cooled motorcycles and vintage car engines that need the lead to prevent valve seat recession. It also keeps the carbs. clean and being a very stable gasoline, it doesn't go bad like regular gasoline when it sits for long periods of time. Also because it isn't blended, there is no problem with alcohol corroding the aluminum carb. bodies and fuel bowls. Now, the last time I fueled our Beech Bonanza at the local airport, I took a good look at the self serve pump and it carried the same government required yellow octane sticker on the side of it like every other pump at a regular gas station. The sticker showed a rating of 110 octane as calculated by the same methods I have seen on all regular gasoline (Mogas) pumps. The consistency and smell of 100LL is more like a solvent and less like Mogas. The sweet smell in 100LL is actually toluene and when 100LL evaporates it leaves almost no residue or smell behind. This is great when you test your fuel for water and toss the tester into the luggage compartment of the plane--the whole airplane doesn't end up smelling like gasoline. 100LL is also colored blue which serves as a visual indicator that the kid pumping your fuel didn't just fill your tanks with jet fuel (think kerosene) which has a tendency to ruin your day when the engine quits right after take off. The blue coloring is also useful for finding leaks in your fuel system because it leaves a blue stain behind after it evaporates which 100LL does almost instantly when spilled which is again totally unlike regular gasoline. As far as using it in a car, that is a bit of a sticky situation because it is taxed for aviation use only and is not supposed to be pumped into any other type of vehicle. Does it get used in cars? I'm sure it does, but you are going to have to find a sympathetic airport owner that will let you pump it into 5 gallon cans--they usually throw up a red flag if you try to drive a car up to the pump. Is it really a good fuel for a modern street car? I don't feel it is. First of all the lead will instantly take out your oxygen sensors and then start to destroy your catalytic converter. It will do a great job of cleaning out your fuel system though due to its solvent type nature, but the lead is also is really good at fouling spark plugs. Can you use it in a race car? That may be just fine, but I have no experience with that and I have not been around enough racing fuel to be able to compare the two. If anyone here is thinking of using 100LL in their emissions compliant street Elise, Exige, or Esprit, I would have to say you will cause more harm than good to your car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am the new Torco Distributor for the Austin area. Just getting things set up. I will have my first fuel shippment in next week. Contact me with your fuel needs so I know what I need to keep in stock. I am located in Leander Tx. and working alone at the moment so please leave a message if you get my voice mail.

David Zuck
Two Wheel Speed and Performance
512-636-7275

1 - 16 of 16 Posts