The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been working with Formawerks to develop a beautiful key that fits the ethos of the 111 platform. We often talk about how good our cars 'feel' when driving them. The factory key that comes with the car certainly does not 'feel' very exciting. For some of us, sportscar ownership also extends beyond the time behind the seat. Fondling ;) a key while having a drink after a drive is one of those activities we inadvertently do as a reminder of the fun we just had in our Lotus. Why not do it with a key that looks as cool and feels as good?!

We've developed this for the '04-05 Elise & Exiges (yes, these were available OUS). We also know some of you hate the clunky unikey products so we chose to forgo attempting to integrate the FOB. In fact, we know some of you are deleting the FOB from your car so a simple 111key would work by itself. Of course, for those of you using the FOB, the 111key works as a stock key would. These are being made in small batches as the Lotus volume does not justify large volume production. Yes, it is not cheap as a result. ? Each one will have mill marks as opposed to the smooth surfaces that you see in the render below. These mill marks will be really cool and technical in look and feel.

I don't think we will get any in time for Xmas but should have them early next year. You can pre-order them: HERE

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@shinoo what about for us 06+ owners?
You're next, first we needed to see how the market responds. The later cars use a different key so we have to redesign and there is a substantial cost associated with each key type.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I would buy one since I got rid of the immobilizer/alarm in my 07 Exige. The key is beautiful by the way. Any chance you can engrave “LOTUS” on it?

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
It says on your website Shinoo that it may work with later model cars. Can you confirm this please? I want to preorder if it works.

·
Registered
204 Posts
@shinoo: the key looks really pretty!

Am I correct in believing that this approach would not work for a stock Elise, because I need to press the immobilizer button every time I start the car.

As to milling marks, have you considered putting the keys in a vibratory tumbler before the key notches are cut?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It says on your website Shinoo that it may work with later model cars. Can you confirm this please? I want to preorder if it works.
Not yet, the later keys require a complete change. We could not afford to scale up all model years so decided to start with the largest volume first. Don't hesitate to contact us and get placed onto a Waitlist - that helps us determine demand for these later model years.

I'm glad you like the design.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@shinoo: the key looks really pretty!

Am I correct in believing that this approach would not work for a stock Elise, because I need to press the immobilizer button every time I start the car.

As to milling marks, have you considered putting the keys in a vibratory tumbler before the key notches are cut?
It will work for a stock Elise if you continue to use the factory FOB. The standard Lotus key is functionally the same as ours.

We have not tumbled any to see what it does to the finish. We will give it a try so thanks for the tip.

We will offer other finishes, including PVD and polished.

The mill marks are actually very cool. See the mill marks and machined finish on another key

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,110 Posts
We could not afford to scale up all model years so decided to start with the largest volume first.
This looks really nice. I'm confused about the comment above though, maybe I'm missing something. You wanted to start with the largest volume first so you started with 2004-2005? I assume you're referring to markets outside the US, which is where you expect to sell many of these? I didn't realize the Exige was even made prior to 2006. Seems like if you started with the 2006+ cars, a lot of people here would be putting their money down. I'm one of them!

·
Registered
531 Posts
This looks really nice. I'm confused about the comment above though, maybe I'm missing something. You wanted to start with the largest volume first so you started with 2004-2005? I assume you're referring to markets outside the US, which is where you expect to sell many of these? I didn't realize the Exige was even made prior to 2006. Seems like if you started with the 2006+ cars, a lot of people here would be putting their money down. I'm one of them!
I believe this will answer your confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
You're next, first we needed to see how the market responds. The later cars use a different key so we have to redesign and there is a substantial cost associated with each key type.
I got little feedback when I inquired about making a key a couple years ago but you guys have a much bigger audience so hopefully it pans out for you.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I got little feedback when I inquired about making a key a couple years ago but you guys have a much bigger audience so hopefully it pans out for you.
I remember your key idea. It looked awesome too. I was all in at the time as well.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It will work for a stock Elise if you continue to use the factory FOB. The standard Lotus key is functionally the same as ours.

We have not tumbled any to see what it does to the finish. We will give it a try so thanks for the tip.

We will offer other finishes, including PVD and polished.

The mill marks are actually very cool. See the mill marks and machined finish on another key
View attachment 1255257
Oh man, I absolutely LOVE this design!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The market is small and forum or Social Media response is not as indicative of the clients that are out there. A product like this will win over people when they see it and feel it in their hands. Hopefully enough for us to gamble on the '06+ cars...

·
Registered
282 Posts
The market is small and forum or Social Media response is not as indicative of the clients that are out there. A product like this will win over people when they see it and feel it in their hands. Hopefully enough for us to gamble on the '06+ cars...
I agree, my sample size was only the people that happened to see that one post on this forum. I wanted one so decided to make my own but I definitely dont have the reach you guys have in the Lotus community. You have my support and would probably get one from you if it cost me less than making a one of for myself.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,272 Posts
...waiting for the integrated Fob. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts